Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Pass You Eye! Assembled Table Pics

A few issues:
1) The keys on one end are too tight. I can hammer them in, but I prefer not to. I want them snug, but not too tight. I'll work on them later. Things fit, correctly, two weeks ago... might be wood movement?
2) One brace, under the top, is out of alignment by 1/4". I'll tweak it later. 3) One corner of the table is 1/4" higher than the others. It may be the "drapes" under the foot, trash on the floor (under drape), may be my shop floor is not level, or a combo of all.

Table top is 11' 3.75" long, 47" wide (at widest), 30" high.

No dancing girls, yet, but I did fix a drink, after assembly.

Kinna cramped space, for better pics.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...h/20715730554/

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
A few issues:
1) The keys on one end are too tight. I can hammer them in, but I prefer not to. I want them snug, but not too tight. I'll work on them later. Things fit, correctly, two weeks ago... might be wood movement?
2) One brace, under the top, is out of alignment by 1/4". I'll tweak it later. 3) One corner of the table is 1/4" higher than the others. It may be the "drapes" under the foot, trash on the floor (under drape), may be my shop floor is not level, or a combo of all.

Table top is 11' 3.75" long, 47" wide (at widest), 30" high.

No dancing girls, yet, but I did fix a drink, after assembly.

Kinna cramped space, for better pics.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...h/20715730554/

Sonny

I'm sorry, but it would not fit in my house. Gorgeous! I couldn't
visualize it until now.

--
GW Ross

Don't mess with Murphy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
A few issues:
1) The keys on one end are too tight. I can hammer them in, but I
prefer not to. I want them snug, but not too tight. I'll work on
them later. Things fit, correctly, two weeks ago... might be wood
movement?
2) One brace, under the top, is out of alignment by 1/4". I'll
tweak it later. 3) One corner of the table is 1/4" higher than the
others. It may be the "drapes" under the foot, trash on the floor
(under drape), may be my shop floor is not level, or a combo of all.

Table top is 11' 3.75" long, 47" wide (at widest), 30" high.

No dancing girls, yet, but I did fix a drink, after assembly.

Kinna cramped space, for better pics.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...h/20715730554/

Sonny

That is some hunk of wood Mister!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/11/2015 11:06 PM, Sonny wrote:
A few issues:
1) The keys on one end are too tight. I can hammer them in, but I prefer not to. I want them snug, but not too tight. I'll work on them later. Things fit, correctly, two weeks ago... might be wood movement?
2) One brace, under the top, is out of alignment by 1/4". I'll tweak it later. 3) One corner of the table is 1/4" higher than the others. It may be the "drapes" under the foot, trash on the floor (under drape), may be my shop floor is not level, or a combo of all.

Table top is 11' 3.75" long, 47" wide (at widest), 30" high.

No dancing girls, yet, but I did fix a drink, after assembly.

Kinna cramped space, for better pics.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...h/20715730554/

Cher, that's not woodworking, that's art!

Gorgeous!!

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 9/11/2015 11:06 PM, Sonny wrote:
A few issues:
1) The keys on one end are too tight. I can hammer them in, but I
prefer not to. I want them snug, but not too tight. I'll work on
them later. Things fit, correctly, two weeks ago... might be wood movement?
2) One brace, under the top, is out of alignment by 1/4". I'll tweak
it later. 3) One corner of the table is 1/4" higher than the others.
It may be the "drapes" under the foot, trash on the floor (under drape),
may be my shop floor is not level, or a combo of all.

Table top is 11' 3.75" long, 47" wide (at widest), 30" high.

No dancing girls, yet, but I did fix a drink, after assembly.

Kinna cramped space, for better pics.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...h/20715730554/

Cher, that's not woodworking, that's art!

Gorgeous!!

I think it looks great, Had it been 11'4" I think it would have been way
too big. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 21:06:52 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

A few issues:
1) The keys on one end are too tight. I can hammer them in, but I prefer not to. I want them snug, but not too tight. I'll work on them later. Things fit, correctly, two weeks ago... might be wood movement?
2) One brace, under the top, is out of alignment by 1/4". I'll tweak it later. 3) One corner of the table is 1/4" higher than the others. It may be the "drapes" under the foot, trash on the floor (under drape), may be my shop floor is not level, or a combo of all.

Table top is 11' 3.75" long, 47" wide (at widest), 30" high.

No dancing girls, yet, but I did fix a drink, after assembly.

Kinna cramped space, for better pics.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...h/20715730554/

It looks great Sonny. How heavy is it is what I was wondering to
myself and then took it ridiculous thinking you might want to
reinforce the floor were it is going.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, September 12, 2015 at 3:15:34 AM UTC-5, G. Ross wrote:

I'm sorry, but it would not fit in my house. Gorgeous! I couldn't
visualize it until now.

--
GW Ross

Thanks. I don't always describe or present things for best understanding. It was a design in progress, to some extent, so even I was unsure of the final outcome.

Initially, I had considered the table for the camp, with a vague idea of what it would look like.... basic table, despite being walnut. The more I thought of design ideas and worked on the individual boards, and later using the root ball for leg units, the better the design concept developed.

Now, I'm not so sure I want to put it at the camp.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, September 12, 2015 at 7:05:03 AM UTC-5, Mike Marlow wrote:

That is some hunk of wood Mister!

-Mike-

Yes it is. When I milled the tree, the boards were so nice, I didn't want to shorten them. I knew the table would end up being hefty, but for a one-time kind of project (maybe), I thought I could compromise. The keyed design allows for easy disassembly, into smaller parts, except for the top.

I always did like the more rustic/primitive and robust construction style. In my later years, some of those heavy projects became too much to handle.. The design ideas, for this table, gradually developed toward that bulkiness, heaviness, again.

Whomever inherits it will suffer with the bulk, etc. For me, it was a fun build, but I am also pleased with how it turned out.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
A few issues:
1) The keys on one end are too tight. I can hammer them in, but I prefer not to. I want them snug, but not too tight. I'll work on them later. Things fit, correctly, two weeks ago... might be wood movement?
2) One brace, under the top, is out of alignment by 1/4". I'll tweak it later. 3) One corner of the table is 1/4" higher than the others. It may be the "drapes" under the foot, trash on the floor (under drape), may be my shop floor is not level, or a combo of all.

Table top is 11' 3.75" long, 47" wide (at widest), 30" high.

No dancing girls, yet, but I did fix a drink, after assembly.

Kinna cramped space, for better pics.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...h/20715730554/

Sonny

That's quite a piece! Really creative legs too. Do you get to keep it?

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, September 12, 2015 at 7:47:58 AM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:

Cher, that's not woodworking, that's art!

Gorgeous!!

Thanks, Karl.

When we tore down that old cypress house, I didn't pay attention to some of the surrounding trees, mostly small scrubs and trash trees. Not until later did I see this particular walnut log dozed to the side. The other walnut tree was in poor shape, more so for firewood and some turning blanks.

Salvaging the log was no brainer. The wood, itself, should take the credit for its art worthiness, not my hobbyist building skills. I'm lucky to have been able to do it justice.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, September 12, 2015 at 8:21:09 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

I think it looks great, Had it been 11'4" I think it would have been way
too big. :-)

Thanks, Leon. LOL, yeah. There was a defect on the end of one board. If I had trimmed all boards, to remove the defect, the table would have been 8" shorter.... plus, I would have cut off that dutchman, shown in one of the pics (underside of the table). I patched/filled the defect with (pretty much) matching patchwork.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, September 12, 2015 at 9:18:03 AM UTC-5, Markem wrote:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...h/20715730554/

It looks great Sonny. How heavy is it is what I was wondering to
myself and then took it ridiculous thinking you might want to
reinforce the floor were it is going.

Thanks. The top is heavy, maybe 250 lbs., 300 lbs might be stretching it. The whole base may weigh 175 lbs, maybe 200 lbs. The leg units' footprint is 39" wide.

I, alone, can carry/move the individual parts of the base. It'll take at least 3, probably 4 people to comfortably carry the table top.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, September 12, 2015 at 10:13:22 AM UTC-5, Bill wrote:

That's quite a piece! Really creative legs too. Do you get to keep it?

Bill

Thanks, Bill. The legs created themselves, I just dressed them up, a bit.

My nephew says it's too nice for the camp. I'll keep it for a while, at least. Not sure where it will end up. I do need to get it out of the shop, though. My kitchen-dining room is 20X40, so I'll likely stash it there, for the time being.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote:
Table top is 11' 3.75" long, 47" wide (at widest), 30" high.

No dancing girls, yet, but I did fix a drink, after assembly.

Kinna cramped space, for better pics.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...h/20715730554/

So when do you do the fork lift to compliment the table?

Enjoy.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/12/2015 11:47 AM, Sonny wrote:

My nephew says it's too nice for the camp. I'll keep it for a while, at least.
Not sure where it will end up. I do need to get it out of the shop, though.

My kitchen-dining room is 20X40, so I'll likely stash it there, for
the time being.

That's a gorgeous table Sonny. People with loads of money pay huge sums
for that type of table to stick in their $15 million dollar summer log
"cabins". I suspect the more your charge for it the better they like
it. I've seen them often on "Epic log Homes" I believe.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, September 12, 2015 at 5:52:34 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:

So when do you do the fork lift to compliment the table?

LOL. Actually, it's not so bad lifting and moving the table top, as one might suppose. Certainly no different than moving a side-by-side frig/freezer or a chest freezer. As is, it's difficult for two people to move or manipulate. Flipping it, on the saw horses, is easy for two people. I have some furniture carts, that will be sufficient for rolling the top around. The other individual parts can be easily managed by one person.

Next project: I've started work on a coat rack/bench, for the camp, using some of the pecan from a fallen tree, at the farm. The initial idea, for the pecan, was to make headboards for the beds, and the headboards will eventually be made. These pecan boards have warped, really bad, so they won't be planed and sanded, as the walnut has been.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream

Thanks Lew.
Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, September 13, 2015 at 10:43:25 AM UTC-5, Jack wrote:
On 9/12/2015 11:47 AM, Sonny wrote:

My nephew says it's too nice for the camp. I'll keep it for a while, at least.
Not sure where it will end up. I do need to get it out of the shop, though.

My kitchen-dining room is 20X40, so I'll likely stash it there, for
the time being.

That's a gorgeous table Sonny. People with loads of money pay huge sums
for that type of table to stick in their $15 million dollar summer log
"cabins". I suspect the more your charge for it the better they like
it. I've seen them often on "Epic log Homes" I believe.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Thanks Jack. My nephew says I should sell it. Not sure what price to place on it, though. I haven't really considered selling it. I would suppose a matching set of chairs would need to go along with it, for a sale item.

Right now, it's not a dining table, but a large semi-shiny dust collector, in the shop.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/13/2015 10:43 AM, Jack wrote:
On 9/12/2015 11:47 AM, Sonny wrote:

My nephew says it's too nice for the camp. I'll keep it for a while,
at least.
Not sure where it will end up. I do need to get it out of the shop,
though.

My kitchen-dining room is 20X40, so I'll likely stash it there, for
the time being.

That's a gorgeous table Sonny. People with loads of money pay huge sums
for that type of table to stick in their $15 million dollar summer log
"cabins". I suspect the more your charge for it the better they like
it. I've seen them often on "Epic log Homes" I believe.

There is a small furniture store in Brenham, TX that sells this style
furniture. The big difference is that the furniture is not as pretty as
if they were built with walnut. They almost exclusively use Ipe. It is
an effort to even move one of the table side seating benches.
Not to mention, I estimate, about 4 times heavier than walnut.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/13/2015 10:57 AM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

Minimum $15~20K add side benches for more $$

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, September 13, 2015 at 5:03:34 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Minimum $15~20K add side benches for more $$

I did Google prices and thought in the range of $6-$8K, based on 2005 and 2007 posted prices. My nephew assessed it as you did, $15-$20K.

I do have more boards and root ball stock for benches, but I thought benches would be too heavy. I have a set (12, 2 captain's chairs) of antique dining chairs, salvaged from New Orleans (Katrina flood), that I thought to refinish (lacquer) and upholster (leather & decor nails), but not sure the style of these chairs would go well with this table. Once the chairs are done, then I can better assess their mating to the table.

BTW, 4 more pics, taken with the camera (better detail), rather than the with phone (darker pics, less detail), have been posted: https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...h/20715730554/

Today, since the Saints were playing poorly and no company came by, to visit and watch the game, I worked on the coat rack. Got the sides and seat almost assembled. Should finish that assembly and have the back done tomorrow, then sanding. Hopefully, by this weekend, it'll be stained(?) and finished and ready for the (woodworking/Saints fans) kids, Ian (8) and Braxton (9)), to install the fleur-de-lis coat hooks.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message
A few issues:
1) The keys on one end are too tight. I can hammer them in, but I prefer
not to. I want them snug, but not too tight. I'll work on them later.
Things fit, correctly, two weeks ago... might be wood movement?
2) One brace, under the top, is out of alignment by 1/4". I'll tweak it
later. 3) One corner of the table is 1/4" higher than the others. It
may be the "drapes" under the foot, trash on the floor (under drape), may
be my shop floor is not level, or a combo of all.

Table top is 11' 3.75" long, 47" wide (at widest), 30" high.

No dancing girls, yet, but I did fix a drink, after assembly.

Kinna cramped space, for better pics.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...h/20715730554/

Sonny

Not only is that table over the top gorgeous, it plenty damn sturdy. No
matter how much food you stack on there, it will never strain this table. I
wonder if people will feel they can eat more at this table. Casue they
don't want to get up and leave. Let's stay awhile and eat! (And admire the
table.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
On Sunday, September 13, 2015 at 5:03:34 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Minimum $15~20K add side benches for more $$

I did Google prices and thought in the range of $6-$8K, based on 2005
and 2007 posted prices. My nephew assessed it as you did, $15-$20K.

I do have more boards and root ball stock for benches, but I thought
benches would be too heavy. I have a set (12, 2 captain's chairs)
of antique dining chairs, salvaged from New Orleans (Katrina flood),
that I thought to refinish (lacquer) and upholster (leather & decor
nails), but not sure the style of these chairs would go well with
this table. Once the chairs are done, then I can better assess
their mating to the table.

If you are seriously considering selling it, keep in mind that it doesn't
have to be a dining table...it could be a conference table. And conference
tables need not be accompanied by chairs in a similar genre or any chairs at
all. Same with dining tables for that matter.

I mention conference table because newly arrived lawyers love flash (after
they get their Rolex and Mercedes) and that table has a lot of it (in a good
way).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, September 13, 2015 at 10:49:15 PM UTC-5,

Not only is that table over the top gorgeous, it plenty damn sturdy.

Thanks. It is sturdy. That was one thing I paid attention to, regarding the mortises' size and alignment, maintaining the squareness of my carving them. I had a mock tenon, I used as a test piece/guide. The through tenons were easy enough, to make, and are a perfect match for the mortises. The tenons slide in fairly easily, when nudged by hand and knee, yet lock nice and tight, when the keys are inserted. The issue with the extra tight keys, on one end, may be there is a drip/run of finish (that I missed seeing), inside the key holes.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, September 14, 2015 at 4:22:06 AM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:

If you are seriously considering selling it, keep in mind that it doesn't
have to be a dining table...it could be a conference table.

Thanks, DadiOH. I'll consider selling it. I do like the table, myself, though. It has turned out much better than I had initially envisioned, but then, it's the walnut that's doing all the showmanship work.

Personally, I'd prefer it to be in a place where it'll be readily seen, not stashed in some private room, where only a few folks would be privy to it.

I can envision it in a sunlit room, with lots of windows, where good natural light will allow best viewing of the wood grain (and construction!?) features.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 05:13:24 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

On Monday, September 14, 2015 at 4:22:06 AM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:

If you are seriously considering selling it, keep in mind that it doesn't
have to be a dining table...it could be a conference table.

Thanks, DadiOH. I'll consider selling it. I do like the table, myself, though. It has turned out much better than I had initially envisioned, but then, it's the walnut that's doing all the showmanship work.

Personally, I'd prefer it to be in a place where it'll be readily seen, not stashed in some private room, where only a few folks would be privy to it.

I can envision it in a sunlit room, with lots of windows, where good natural light will allow best viewing of the wood grain (and construction!?) features.

While it's not Grand Central Station, a lawyer's conference room can
see dozens of different people every day.I think the suggestion is
sound (if you want to sell at all). Sell to people with money. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 05:21:54 -0400
"dadiOH" wrote:

If you are seriously considering selling it, keep in mind that it
doesn't have to be a dining table...it could be a conference table.
And conference tables need not be accompanied by chairs in a similar
genre or any chairs at all. Same with dining tables for that matter.

was thinking conference table when i saw it too
could probably get 20 grand as a conference table

maybe even more than that because some people seem to like things
at ridiculous prices better than the same thing at a lower price

as if the higher price improves its appeal

they would not want matching chairs they would want those expensive
office chairs

$1000 per chair and up

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...h/20715730554/

matching bath tub

http://imgur.com/lcIq8vf

Posted to rec.woodworking

1) The keys on one end are too tight. I can hammer them in, but I
prefer not to. I want them snug, but not too tight. I'll work on
them later. Things fit, correctly, two weeks ago... might be wood
movement?

I had a similar setup for my dining room table. I went with a loose
*vertical* key. It just drops in, but every time the table wiggles it
tightens the key a little bit. Never had a problem with them.

http://www.delorie.com/wood/projects...dining0001.png
Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote in news:mt6vsd$rkg$1
@dont-email.me:

was thinking conference table when i saw it too
could probably get 20 grand as a conference table

maybe even more than that because some people seem to like things
at ridiculous prices better than the same thing at a lower price

as if the higher price improves its appeal

they would not want matching chairs they would want those expensive
office chairs

$1000 per chair and up

Sometimes higher prices do improve the appeal. They did studies with
wines, and found the high priced wines were perceived to taste better
when they told the people it was a high priced wine, but worse when not
told.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Sonny,

There is a local outfit that sells these big tables to a lot of firms, both
local and out of state. They "recycle" big old trees.

http://www.urbanhardwoods.com/

You can look at some of their conference tables.. Years ago, they used to
have some big table supports/legs. But went to cheap and fast steel for the
most part and some simple wood supports.. Even with the cheapo supports,
they are getting 10 grand a piece. for them. I would think that your table
easily surpasses anything they got. Their tops are thinner than they used
to be too.

Again, as you pointed out, the original wood is the real star here. You
just worked with it to make it stand out, make it pretty. Without the
original wood, you would not have much. I think that the wood, the thick
top, the joinery and and the wonderful legs you have for this table moves it
easily into the $20,000 range.

I used to make big furniture years ago. But nothing like this. This just
isn't furniture. This is art. And, as such, should get the artist's
premium pricing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 14 Sep 2015 19:23:24 GMT
Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Sometimes higher prices do improve the appeal. They did studies with
wines, and found the high priced wines were perceived to taste better
when they told the people it was a high priced wine, but worse when
not told.

and once you ply them with more wine they will end up buying some
too at those high prices

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote:

If you are seriously considering selling it, keep in mind that it
doesn't have to be a dining table...it could be a conference table.
And conference tables need not be accompanied by chairs in a similar
genre or any chairs at all. Same with dining tables for that matter.

was thinking conference table when i saw it too
could probably get 20 grand as a conference table

maybe even more than that because some people seem to like things
at ridiculous prices better than the same thing at a lower price

as if the higher price improves its appeal

they would not want matching chairs they would want those expensive
office chairs

$1000 per chair and up

I have no idea where you shop for office furniture, but I've had some top
end office funishings over my career and never saw prices like these.
Granted - there are people who will pay stupid prices for stuff, but they're
really hard to find. And you have to have exactly what they want to get
those prices. You are way off base for 99% of the office buying public.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

:

was thinking conference table when i saw it too
could probably get 20 grand as a conference table

maybe even more than that because some people seem to like things
at ridiculous prices better than the same thing at a lower price

as if the higher price improves its appeal

they would not want matching chairs they would want those expensive
office chairs

$1000 per chair and up

Sometimes higher prices do improve the appeal. They did studies with
wines, and found the high priced wines were perceived to taste better
when they told the people it was a high priced wine, but worse when not
told.

The Seagrams effect.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote:

[...]

Perhaps, but that 1% has crazy money to spend. It's much better to
work for people with money than those without.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, September 14, 2015 at 2:33:47 PM UTC-5,
I used to make big furniture years ago. But nothing like this. This just
isn't furniture. This is art. And, as such, should get the artist's
premium pricing.

Thanks. Yeah, for a long time I made bulk furniture, also. Kinna hard to get away from that habit. Mostly, I think, in those past days, the (mostly salvaged) wood dictated what the end result would be, at least for me. But I always did like olde timey furniture (bulk) construction and that olde style furniture.

These days, that bulk stuff is just too heavy to handle, any more, on a regular basis. And would you know it, idiot me is, now, making a coat rack with bulk wood, because I'm too lazy to plane it down to more manageable dimensions.... but the pecan is really warped and I just don't have the energy to mess with it, as I use to do.

Sonny

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, September 14, 2015 at 4:34:02 PM UTC-5, Mike Marlow wrote:
Electric Comet wrote:

was thinking conference table when i saw it too
could probably get 20 grand as a conference table

maybe even more than that because some people

$1000 per chair and up

Screw "some people" and their wallets. I don't need money. I'm retired and do woodwork for fun. This table just happens to have come out pretty darn good and the original idea was not to sell it, but to put it at the camp, because we needed a better dining table, there. At the camp, I don't think any of those drunk idiots would object to sitting on 5 gallon cans, when eating. But I do have ideas for making dining chairs.... to suit myself and this table, not to suit some high spender. I find, often times, my ideas are agreeable to most others, so I have confidence in my ideas and designs.

Albeit, the table is a candidate for high end customers, and that's certainly an option, and I am having second thoughts about bring it to the camp. More so than attorneys, I have lots of physician friends, who have very nice camps along the Gulf coast, there abouts.

I have no idea where you shop for office furniture, but I've had some top
end office funishings over my career and never saw prices like these.
Granted - there are people who will pay stupid prices for stuff, but they're
really hard to find. And you have to have exactly what they want to get
those prices. You are way off base for 99% of the office buying public.

LOL. Thanks Mike. And there is something to say about cheap office furniture, lending this thought to another thread : Farm table part Deux: Top glue up? I like this table idea, also. Long ago, two weeks before we opened our mediacl office, I went to Sears and bought chisels and a 4" belt sander... I had other tools. I made 5 exam tables with 2X4s (trestle table constructon, as in that Farm Table thread), upholstered with naugahyde. They are still in the office and in good shape. Back then, they probably cost $25 each, total, to construct. I'm still a cheap bastid, too, always looking for free or cheap lumber.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, September 14, 2015 at 8:12:17 PM UTC-5, krw wrote:

The Seagrams effect.

I have Crown in the shop. More often I bring VO to the camp, mainly for the other folk.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 18:55:29 -0700 (PDT)
Sonny wrote:

Screw "some people" and their wallets. I don't need money. I'm
retired and do woodwork for fun. This table just happens to have
come out pretty darn good and the original idea was not to sell it,
but to put it at the camp, because we needed a better dining table,
there. At the camp, I don't think any of those drunk idiots would
object to sitting on 5 gallon cans, when eating. But I do have
ideas for making dining chairs.... to suit myself and this table, not
to suit some high spender. I find, often times, my ideas are
agreeable to most others, so I have confidence in my ideas and
designs.

you could probably sell them 5 gallon cans too

but i understand what you are saying

i get more enjoyment giving some of my works away to those i know

i did so a few months back and the joy created was worth more than
any amount of money

their joy and mine

plus i learn a lot from their comments and impressions

i have a feeling that table will end up right where it should

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/14/2015 9:12 PM, krw wrote:
On 14 Sep 2015 19:23:24 GMT, Puckdropper

Sometimes higher prices do improve the appeal. They did studies with
wines, and found the high priced wines were perceived to taste better
when they told the people it was a high priced wine, but worse when not
told.

The Seagrams effect.

Coors beer was marketed out west as a cheap beer. They were on the
verge of bankruptcy when they re-labled the beer as a premium, raised
the price and the exact same beer became popular, and was soon marketed
across the country.

I call this the Coors effect, and I think for this group, you could call
it the Festool effect.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

A Few Table Top Pics Sonny Woodworking 0 August 28th 15 02:03 PM
Gun/China Cabinet is Assembled - Pics Sonny Woodworking 6 July 3rd 15 03:57 PM
hall table w/ pics.. maybe? skeez Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 July 15th 08 01:45 AM
Ash Table all Galooed up w/pics David F. Eisan Woodworking 1 August 13th 06 04:33 PM
Took a Sawzall to my Ash Table :( w/pics Stoutman Woodworking 7 August 9th 06 12:38 PM