Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Gun/China Cabinet is Assembled - Pics

The "light colored" pics were taken with the camera. The "dark colored" pics were taken with the phone.

I still need to make the drawer handles, probably from coiled copper tubing.

For demo, the only guns at the camp are a pellet rifle and a BB gun.

I filled some of the holes in the "desktop" with the hand cut nails I pulled from the old lumber.

I didn't have full extension drawer slides and I'm not crazy about the ones I had/used. If we have problems with the drawers, I'll change the slides.

The shelves are easily removed. When I'm dead and gone, this cabinet may end up with someone who doesn't want it as a gun cabinet, so I made shelves, should someone want to use it as a China-type cabinet.

This was a fun project and I liked the idea of using old hand hewn lumber.... kinna had to improvise the mating of almost all sections, since there were no straight edges. For the panel assemblies, I did joint the mating edges, though.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...h/19307548606/

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message
[...]

Looks nice, like it has been there a hundred years or more. I remember gun
cabinets. I have not seen them in awhile. Politically incorrect and all
that. But that is OK. It looks good and can be repurposed at a later time.
And you planned for its conversion into polite company.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, July 2, 2015 at 8:22:26 AM UTC-5, Lee Michaels wrote:

Looks nice, like it has been there a hundred years or more.

Thanks. The finish on it is water based Varethane Floor Finish, 3 sprayed coats. It's a little too shiny, but it may dull with use. If not, I may burnish it, to give a less new look.

I remember gun cabinets. I have not seen them in awhile. Politically incorrect and all that. But that is OK.

As the camp is, we don't have any good place to stash the guns & ammo, during hunting season. They are usually scattered about, beyond the "living" areas. This cabinet should help.

Same with hanging hats, coats, etc., hence, the next project is a coat rack-bench combo.

Whether folks use the cabinet and coat rack, as planned, is another question. We have lots of small tools, hardware, odds and ends, etc., there, and I brought two work benches, with drawers and/or shelves, and hung a pegboard, to store and accommodate stuff, keep all that stuff neat and tidy. Often times, seems no one knows what neatness & tidiness is. Those work benches and adjacent areas are a mess.

I don't have much of the hand hewn boards remaining and most of them are short boards. I need a small project to complement the, later, China cabinet.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 2 Jul 2015 09:22:20 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote:

"Sonny" wrote in message
[...]

I see gun cabinets for sale regularly, though not as many as I do gun
safes. Perhaps it's a reflection of the value of guns, these days.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

"Sonny" wrote in message
[...]

Also insurance conditions, liability, in some jurisdictions statutory
requirements, etc. Remember that there are areswipe politicians out
there who have tried to make people liable for crimes committed with
guns that were stolen from them--more "blame the victim" mentality.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 12:59:53 AM UTC-5, J. Clarke wrote:

I see gun cabinets for sale regularly, though not as many as I do gun
safes. Perhaps it's a reflection of the value of guns, these days.

Also insurance conditions, liability, in some jurisdictions statutory
requirements, etc. Remember that there are areswipe politicians out
there who have tried to make people liable for crimes committed with
guns that were stolen from them--more "blame the victim" mentality.

Right. In home, we have gun safes; prevents any child from messing with the firearms, also.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 03:11:59 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 12:59:53 AM UTC-5, J. Clarke wrote:

I see gun cabinets for sale regularly, though not as many as I do gun
safes. Perhaps it's a reflection of the value of guns, these days.

Also insurance conditions, liability, in some jurisdictions statutory
requirements, etc. Remember that there are areswipe politicians out
there who have tried to make people liable for crimes committed with
guns that were stolen from them--more "blame the victim" mentality.

Sure, there is a lot of that but I know several people who have
upwards of $100K in guns. At $1K apeice for normal guns, it doesn't
take that many collectables.

Right. In home, we have gun safes; prevents any child from messing with the firearms, also.

It also keeps any home invader safe.