Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Took a Sawzall to my Ash Table :( w/pics

Today was not a good day in the shop.

SNIP

I'm not sure why you glued the runners to the long aprons before glueing the
aprons to the legs?

I actually don't glue in the drawer runners until the entire table is
finished and I know the runners are aligned properly. I even made a table
where the drawer runners were never glued down, they float in a groove in
the back and on a half lap on the front.

I used the same runner assemble for this table:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictu...P00615_web.jpg

All three of those drawer runners are not glued in at this point. Tongue
and groove in the back and half lap in the front. Once the drawer was
assembled the runners were 'built up' and adjusted for a snug fit with the
drawer.

This approach will never get you in your current situation.

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Here is the finished table if you're interested:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/maple_hall_table.htm

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"David F. Eisan" wrote in
news
Hello everyone,

Today was not a good day in the shop.

I was going to do the final glue up on my table today. I stood one sub
assembly of legs on my bench and was about to dry fit the long aprons
with the drawer runner into the legs. This is what it looked like,

Notice how the skirt is a little narrow....

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/i...pashtable1.jpg

Opps, looks like I measured between the legs for the drawer runners
whereas I should have slipped the long aprons into the tennons and
measured between those for the length of the drawer runner.

Hmmmm.... What to do.

Sawzall time!

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/i...pashtable2.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/i...pashtable3.jpg

Hack out the runners with the sawzall. Since the runners were attached
to the long aprons with double biscuits, it wasn't hard to chisel apart
the joint and pare it flush to the apron.

I have it all cleaned up and now I have to remake the parts I cut out,
'cept this time, a little longer .

Oh well,

David

Every neighbourhood has one, in mine I'm him.

You need a large lateral file cabinet for your hand held power tools.

Posted to rec.woodworking

David F. Eisan wrote:
Hello everyone,

Today was not a good day in the shop.

Well David, I see that the beer-fridge is still the most used tool in
your shop...

Posted to rec.woodworking

David F. Eisan wrote:

Hello everyone,

[...]

For future reference, whenever possible dry-assemble the piece before
gluing. That way if something is screwed up you'll find it when it's still
relatively easy to fix.

Oh well,

David

Every neighbourhood has one, in mine I'm him.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.woodworking

David F. Eisan wrote:

Today was not a good day in the shop.
Opps, looks like I measured between the legs for the drawer runners
whereas I should have slipped the long aprons into the tennons and
measured between those for the length of the drawer runner.
Sawzall time!

J Clarke
For future reference, whenever possible dry-assemble the piece before
gluing. That way if something is screwed up you'll find it when it's
still
relatively easy to fix.

--John

The old adage that applies here is "Measure twice ..." However for me, its
the sit and think about it before I cut once.

John's advise of dry fitting is always practiced in my projects.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Teamcasa wrote:
David F. Eisan wrote:

Today was not a good day in the shop.
Opps, looks like I measured between the legs for the drawer runners
whereas I should have slipped the long aprons into the tennons and
measured between those for the length of the drawer runner.
Sawzall time!

J Clarke
For future reference, whenever possible dry-assemble the piece before
gluing. That way if something is screwed up you'll find it when it's
still
relatively easy to fix.

--John

The old adage that applies here is "Measure twice ..." However for me, its
the sit and think about it before I cut once.

John's advise of dry fitting is always practiced in my projects.

Dave

Nah! I adhere strictly to the wrecker's primary law. "Cut to shape
and pound to fit!"

FoggyTown