Eugene

Default I have limited space, need a table that will accomodate different tools that I can adjust to the height of my workbench

Chillee B wrote:

Hi, I have recently acquired a number of woodworking/workshop tools. I
currently have a workbench. I do not have alot of extra space. So, I
would like to either build or purchase a table that will accomodate,
for example, the router table, compound mitre saw, bench grinder, etc.
The only catch is... I would like to be able to adjust any one tool
once it is on the table so that the router table or compound mitre saw
would be at the same height as the top of the workbench.

Simplest idea would be to make the table lower than the bench and then make
a spacer under each tool that lifts it up to the bench height. For example
say you make the bench 36" tall, then make a small table that is 18" tall.
Then measure the tool and maybe the miter saw is 6" tall, so you make a 12"
box to mount it on so when it sits on the table its at 18". You can put a
door or drawer on the front of the 12" box to make it storage for spare
blades and other stuff. Then say maybe the table saw is 14" tall it will
only need a 4" spacer under it.
I am assuming that I could mount each individual tool on wood, of a
predetermined size and somehow build a table that will accomodate each
tool at the appropriate height. But once it is built, I don't think
that I would easily be able to adapt the table to new tools that I
will purchase in the future.

Choose a size for the mount then check the manual or measure in the store
nay new tools to make sure they fit within that size. Then you may someday
have to prioritize your standard against the features of a new tool if it
happens to not fit.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks

I have a small garage as well and have been trying to stay with smaller
tools and keep them somewhat portable so I can sit them on the shelf. Did
similar with my router table, made it a box that sits on the bench when I'm
using it and sits on the shelf when I'm not,

Eagle

Good morning, Chillee B,
We also have limited space now in our shop. We are in the process of
finding a way to accommodate our 3 grinders and miter saw. I have
come up with the idea of using a small table and putting each machine
on each side. Mounting locking wheels on the table will allow us to
spin the table and use which ever machine we need at any one time.
This also allows for moving the table around the shop to other
locations.
I don't know where you are located, but I find great buys on this type
of table at Boeing Surplus in Renton, WA
Check surplus stores for government agencies in your area.
Ardis
Eagle View Research Center

Eugene wrote in message ...
Chillee B wrote:

[...]

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:45:16 -0400, "J. Clarke"

On 11 Aug 2004 17:00:52 -0700, (Chillee B)
wrote:

Hi, I have recently acquired a number of woodworking/workshop tools. I
currently have a workbench. I do not have alot of extra space. So, I
would like to either build or purchase a table that will accomodate,
for example, the router table, compound mitre saw, bench grinder, etc.
The only catch is... I would like to be able to adjust any one tool
once it is on the table so that the router table or compound mitre saw
would be at the same height as the top of the workbench.

I am assuming that I could mount each individual tool on wood, of a
predetermined size and somehow build a table that will accomodate each
tool at the appropriate height. But once it is built, I don't think
that I would easily be able to adapt the table to new tools that I
will purchase in the future.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks

cut a hole in your workbench that is a little larger than the
footprint of your largest tool. route a ledge 3/4" deep and an inch or
so wide all around it. cut a bunch of plywood slabs to fit in there
snugly. mount one tool to each slab and change them out as needed.

That will put the tool table well above the workbench though.

construct tool wells within the slabs as needed.
J. Clarke

wrote:

[...]

Now you have to make room to access controls and permit adequate cooling air
and dispose of chips and whatnot.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 19:51:13 -0400, "J. Clarke"

wrote:

[...]

yup. it all sounds like a pain in the butt to me, but the OP asked....

Bridger (believer in dedicated workstations)
J. Clarke

wrote:

[...]

But he didn't ask about putting tools on his workbench, he asked about
making a special table to hold them with their working surfaces at the same
height as his bench. Perhaps he wants to be able to use the bench as a
support for long stock.