Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels[_3_] Lee Michaels[_3_] is offline

Default Pass You Eye! Assembled Table Pics

"krw" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 05:13:24 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

On Monday, September 14, 2015 at 4:22:06 AM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:

If you are seriously considering selling it, keep in mind that it
doesn't
have to be a dining table...it could be a conference table.

Thanks, DadiOH. I'll consider selling it. I do like the table, myself,
though. It has turned out much better than I had initially envisioned,
but then, it's the walnut that's doing all the showmanship work.

Personally, I'd prefer it to be in a place where it'll be readily seen,
not stashed in some private room, where only a few folks would be privy to
it.

I can envision it in a sunlit room, with lots of windows, where good
natural light will allow best viewing of the wood grain (and
construction!?) features.

While it's not Grand Central Station, a lawyer's conference room can
see dozens of different people every day.I think the suggestion is
sound (if you want to sell at all). Sell to people with money. ;-)

Sonny,

There is a local outfit that sells these big tables to a lot of firms, both
local and out of state. They "recycle" big old trees.

http://www.urbanhardwoods.com/

You can look at some of their conference tables.. Years ago, they used to
have some big table supports/legs. But went to cheap and fast steel for the
most part and some simple wood supports.. Even with the cheapo supports,
they are getting 10 grand a piece. for them. I would think that your table
easily surpasses anything they got. Their tops are thinner than they used
to be too.

Again, as you pointed out, the original wood is the real star here. You
just worked with it to make it stand out, make it pretty. Without the
original wood, you would not have much. I think that the wood, the thick
top, the joinery and and the wonderful legs you have for this table moves it
easily into the $20,000 range.

I used to make big furniture years ago. But nothing like this. This just
isn't furniture. This is art. And, as such, should get the artist's
premium pricing.