Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Repost of EZ Etouffee

On Oct 30, 12:51*am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote:
Margarine vs butter?

Ye Gads man, margarine doesn't even make it as axle grease, much less
as an edible product.

Lew

Actually, margarine as a product has evolved quite a bit. Here, we
have a product called Olivina, made with olive oil and buttermilk. All
natural, tastes pretty good and is full of Omega 3.

Besides, you're not married to a woman who runs a stroke prevention
clinic at the local hospital, are you?

Lately, there's been a rash of 50 - 60 year old small business owners
and engineers coming through her clinic.
Many of them like their butter too. As do I. But I would rather eat
Olivina for 20 years than butter for 5 years.

Angela and I aren't anal about it, because we do eat butter on
occasion, but it is bad for you on a daily basis.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

"Swingman" wrote:

Mom, who along with her sister, my aunt, "invented" the recipe, will be
proud to hear that ... a copy of your post is on the way to her.

OK, I'll admit it.

When it comes to hot and spicy, I'm a real candy ass.

Actually, it's my stomach that complains.

So what really happens if you sub mild for hot?

There is something about 'spicy' that changes the taste (like eating REAL
Indian curry, then eating the stuff they call 'curry' in most US
restaurants), but, if you haven't ever known the difference ....

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 30, 9:28*am, "Swingman" wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

"Swingman" wrote:

Mom, who along with her sister, my aunt, "invented" the recipe, will be
proud to hear that ... a copy of your post is on the way to her.

OK, I'll admit it.

When it comes to hot and spicy, I'm a real candy ass.

Actually, it's my stomach that complains.

So what really happens if you sub mild for hot?

There is something about 'spicy' that changes the taste (like eating REAL
Indian curry, then eating the stuff they call 'curry' in most US
restaurants), but, if you haven't ever known the difference ....

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

I love hot if it needs to be hot, not hot for hot-sakes. I often eat
shechuan dishes with green chili paste, we eat Indonesian and Thai
dishes all the time, and you are absolutely right about Indian curries
vs, that Tiki Masla crap they pass off as 'curry' in some restaurants.
I often say "Yowsa, that was worth it", but never will I eat 'suicide
buffalo wings and stupid college-drunk shiat like that. That's just as
silly as crushing an empty beer can on your forehead or drinking bong
water.... so I'm told.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

That's just as
silly as crushing an empty beer can on your forehead or drinking bong
water.... so I'm told.

Or for the ultimate gourmond beverage, bong WINE!

Yuck, dry heaves, shuddering

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

I love hot if it needs to be hot, not hot for hot-sakes. I often eat
shechuan dishes with green chili paste, we eat Indonesian and Thai
dishes all the time, and you are absolutely right about Indian curries
vs, that Tiki Masla crap they pass off as 'curry' in some restaurants.
I often say "Yowsa, that was worth it", but never will I eat 'suicide
buffalo wings and stupid college-drunk shiat like that. That's just as
silly as crushing an empty beer can on your forehead or drinking bong
water.... so I'm told.

Yeah, bubba! ... big difference between a dish being past too "hot and
spicy" just because some idjit thinks it's supposed to be that way, and a
dish that is just right "spicy" because it's properly, and culturally,
seasoned.

Restaurants that serve "Cajun dishes", even in S. Louisiana these days, more
than likely have someone heavy handed from the Mexican culture in the
kitchen mixing pre-prepared crap from a play book.

Personally, I don't like food ridiculously hot, just for hot's sake (except
maybe REAL menudo, but only so you can get it past your nose and into your
mouth), but I do like it, as Cajuns say, "piquant" or "piquer".

AAMOF, I usually host on an annual Gumbo party between Christmas and New
Years (if we indeed do it again this year Robert/nailshooter, y'all really
need to come this time as it may be the last, in this location anyway!) and
my gumbo at this event is purposely not "piquant" enough for my taste due to
the variety of palates that need to be pleased ... but there is always that
bottle of elixir from Avery Island to adjust it, if need be!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

The Pace Picante "hot" is not really hot, rather highly
spiced. The average person will notice the slight
heat, but not enough to cause kicking and screaming.

DO NOT cut back on the amount of shrimp. That will cause
a much hotter version.

I don't know if the mild version is as good, since I
didn't try that yet.

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Swingman" wrote:

Mom, who along with her sister, my aunt, "invented" the recipe, will
be proud to hear that ... a copy of your post is on the way to her.

OK, I'll admit it.

When it comes to hot and spicy, I'm a real candy ass.

Actually, it's my stomach that complains.

So what really happens if you sub mild for hot?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Taste is the big deal with this recipe and changing things
should be done "after" trying the original, in my opinion.

This ain't gonna be a weekly menu item and I doubt that
one stick of butter is gonna result in the "big one".

Try it "as is" and then play with the other stuff.

Robatoy wrote:

Did you ever try it with fat-free/ low-fat cream of schroom soup?
Margarine vs butter?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Where are YOU cutting back?

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:02:52 -0400, "J. Clarke" wrote:

mac davis wrote:
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:44:38 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Just thought that I'd chime in here, since I may have caused some
confusion:

Gateway called it a "downgrade" because it's a price decrease..
AFAIK, It comes from Gateway with XP as the original OS, not
installed over Vista..

Either way, I would have preferred an XP machine, even if I had to
"upgrade" it to XPpro..

In that case the differences would be in Gateway's settings.

Very likely...
I notice that most factory installed operating systems are "detuned"...
I think they figure that the less it's tweaked, the less calls to their help
desks..

I've noticed that both Dell and Gateway are VERY conservative on the virtual
memory settings..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
Did you ever try it with fat-free/ low-fat cream of schroom soup?
Margarine vs butter?

Fair enough. We'll try it with butter, as per recipe, and if the
result is worth it, butter it is. Salted or unsalted?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 30, 8:24*am, "Swingman" wrote:

AAMOF, I usually host on an annual Gumbo party between Christmas and New
Years (if we indeed do it again this year Robert/nailshooter, y'all really
need to come this time as it may be the last, in this location anyway!) and
my gumbo at this event is purposely not "piquant" enough for my taste due to
the variety of palates that need to be pleased

CRAP! I almost missed this as I thought that any thread that had this
many responses was surely nothing but politics.

I may just have to say "to hell with it all" (although right now, that
isn't much...) and get my ass over there. With or without the love of
my life. Hit me when you know when it will be, and I will certainly
make all efforts to attend. I would love to actually taste the "real
thing".

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

Fair enough. We'll try it with butter, as per recipe, and if the
result is worth it, butter it is. Salted or unsalted?

Mox nix (makes no difference) ... but you most definitely do NOT want to
additionally "season" the recipe with salt or pepper, as the "Hot" Pace
Picante sauce does all that for you.

(but a bit of garlic powder won't hurt)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote:

Actually, margarine as a product has evolved quite a bit. Here, we

have a product called Olivina, made with olive oil and buttermilk. All
natural, tastes pretty good and is full of Omega 3.

Sure as hell beats margarine.

I often use olive oil to replace bacon grease after rendering the
bacon down or use a 50/50 butter/olive oil mix for cooking.

Besides, you're not married to a woman who runs a stroke prevention

clinic at the local hospital, are you?

Sounds like a personal problem to me.grin

Lately, there's been a rash of 50 - 60 year old small business owners

and engineers coming through her clinic.
Many of them like their butter too. As do I. But I would rather eat
Olivina for 20 years than butter for 5 years.

I suspect there is a lot more than butter in the diet at work here.

Smoking, lack of exercise, too much booze, too much sugar water, etc,
probably don't have anything to do with it.

My mother, who made it to 103, loved to eat fatty pork and chicken,
especially chicken with the skin still on it.

SFWIW, she had to have her fried sausage and fried potatoes for
breakfast every morning right up to the end.

She also loved vegetables, and avoided processed foods like they were
the plague.

Her motto was "All things in moderation".

I try to follow that same philosophy.

So far, seems to be working.

As Pat barber noted, 1/4 Lb butter gets lost in all that sea food and
rice.

Angela and I aren't anal about it, because we do eat butter on

occasion, but it is bad for you on a daily basis.

These days you can find documentation to support almost any position
you want to take.

Might want to check out the margarine vs. butter documentation
sometime.

Seems butter may have been getting a bad rap.

Personally, the term "Lite" as it relates to food products, is a real
hot button for me.

Usually it just means more water in the product.

I absolutely refuse to buy any thing with "Lite" on the label.

Hell, if I want water, I'll go to the faucet.

Off the box.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 30, 4:30*pm, "Swingman" wrote:
"Robatoy" *wrote

Fair enough. We'll try it with butter, as per recipe, and if the
result is worth it, butter it is. Salted or unsalted?

Mox nix (makes no difference) ... but you most definitely do NOT want to
additionally "season" the recipe with salt or pepper, as the "Hot" Pace
Picante sauce does all that for you.

(but a bit of garlic powder won't hurt)

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

I agree. IMHO, there ain't no such thing as too much garlic. There
*is*, however, such a thing as too much over-heated (fried beyond a
very light tan) garlic. I can munch on a clove of fresh, but I can't
stand that thing that garlic does when over-heated...just godawful..
and most people do that when they make garlic bread. *shudder* It's a
fine line. It's kinda like fish... if you can smell it, I don't want
it.

Oh, btw, we can get Pace here, but it's stupid money. This better be
good! G

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote:

I agree. IMHO, there ain't no such thing as too much garlic. There

*is*, however, such a thing as too much over-heated (fried beyond a
very light tan) garlic. I can munch on a clove of fresh, but I can't
stand that thing that garlic does when over-heated...just godawful..
and most people do that when they make garlic bread. *shudder* It's a
fine line. It's kinda like fish... if you can smell it, I don't want
it.

Amen.

The way some people abuse garlic when they put it in hot oil borders
on criminal.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
[...]

it's just as easy to make pace

1 large can stewed mexican style tomatoes drained
1 clove garlic
1/2 medium white chopped onion
1 small can diced green chilies
dash lemon and lime juice
chopped fresh cilantro to taste
1 tsp diced canned or fresh jalapenos

mix together and let sit overnight

variations: 1 cup finely chopped fruit. i've used strawberries, kiwi, mango
(the best), guava, sweet plums, cranberries. citrus, apple, and banana
doesn't work out well.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

Oh, btw, we can get Pace here, but it's stupid money. This better be
good! G

Hey ... you *will* be the first if it ain't! ... but there's no accounting
for taste. g

Just follow the recipe and don't get fancy..

Until the shrimp/crawfish are cooked, you'd swear you screwed up, but the
flavor really comes alive after that. It doesn't take long for shrimp to
cook, but don't rush to serve it, as it gets better the longer it sits ...
and, like most Cajun dishes, it's always better the next day.

And, as Pat said, don't skrimp on the shrimp/crawfish!

I usually use 2lb + shrimp with the basic recipe. and roughly double
everything from there for a larger party ... it won't hurt to double the
basic ingredients and use 5 lbs of shrimp/crawfish instead of 4 lbs ... that
takes you into a pretty good zone for balance between the sauce and
shrimp/crawfish.

Around here we chop some green onion tops and sprinkle them on top of the
sauce/rice before serving ... YMMV.

Bon appetite, cher!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Grilled Shrimp

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message
Until the shrimp/crawfish are cooked, you'd swear you screwed up, but the
flavor really comes alive after that. It doesn't take long for shrimp to
cook, but don't rush to serve it, as it gets better the longer it sits

Haven't ever tried Etouffee, but I experimented quite a bit this summer
with
grilled shrimp. Here's my recipe.

Grilled Shrimp

Ingredients:
5 to 6 garlic cloves, chopped
2 to 3 teaspoons ginger, grated
1 cup teriyaki sauce
2 cups clamato juice
1/2 lemon squeezed (or 1 tablespoon lemon juice)
2 1/2 pounds shrimp with shell on

Prepare the shrimp marinade by combining the garlic, ginger, teriyaki
sauce,
clamato juice and lemon juice.

With scissors, cut the shrimp shell and remove the black vein. Leave the
shell on. Put shrimp in a large bowl and cover with the marinade. Marinate
for about 1/2 hour before grilling.

Preheat the barbeque to medium. Grill shrimp for 1 minute then turn over,
cover the grill and cook for another 2 minutes.

Duly noted, and saved to try ASAP! Thanks!!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
Preheat the barbeque to medium. Grill shrimp for 1 minute then turn

over,
cover the grill and cook for another 2 minutes.

Duly noted, and saved to try ASAP! Thanks!!

Obviously, the bigger the shrimp used, the better they cook. I'm always
reminded of an Australian TV travel ad I saw once where everybody is invited
to visit and they will put a few "shrimp on the barbie". Biggest shrimp I've
found to date were at a local Costco. Not anywhere near the size of the ones
in the TV ad, but big enough that 1/2 dozen made for a full meal.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 30, 8:57*pm, "Upscale" wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
Preheat the barbeque to medium. Grill shrimp for 1 minute then turn

over,
cover the grill and cook for another 2 minutes.

Duly noted, and saved to try ASAP! Thanks!!

Obviously, the bigger the shrimp used, the better they cook. I'm always
reminded of an Australian TV travel ad I saw once where everybody is invited
to visit and they will put a few "shrimp on the barbie". Biggest shrimp I've
found to date were at a local Costco. Not anywhere near the size of the ones
in the TV ad, but big enough that 1/2 dozen made for a full meal.

OR... some (3, 4?) Dublin Bay prawns. (Norwegian Lobster tails aka
scampi.. more than one scampo.).. or big fat tiger shrimps. Then....
garlic butter, assuming it didn't get too hot when it was made.

You bastich, Dave.... now I'm hungry...G

btw, if you like Italian food, you have to check this place out (if
you haven't already):

Il Fornello
214 King Street West, Toronto, ON (A few doors East of The Royal Alex)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote

reminded of an Australian TV travel ad I saw once where everybody is
invited
to visit and they will put a few "shrimp on the barbie". Biggest shrimp
I've
found to date were at a local Costco. Not anywhere near the size of the
ones
in the TV ad, but big enough that 1/2 dozen made for a full meal.

Biggest I ever saw in Oz were over 6" long (prawns). That's a damn big
"shrimp"!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 30, 10:06*pm, "Swingman" wrote:
"Upscale" wrote

reminded of an Australian TV travel ad I saw once where everybody is
invited
to visit and they will put a few "shrimp on the barbie". Biggest shrimp
I've
found to date were at a local Costco. Not anywhere near the size of the
ones
in the TV ad, but big enough that 1/2 dozen made for a full meal.

Biggest I ever saw in Oz were over 6" long (prawns). That's a damn big
"shrimp"!

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

If you dried one of those, you could use it as an umbrella handle...

okay.. so I don't think like other people...
Posted to rec.woodworking

lately I've been cutting back on the north 40. still have about 10 cords
to cut and I'll be good to go for the winter.
ross
it jut a doke alpalpa.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Did you ever try it with fat-free/ low-fat cream of schroom soup?
Margarine vs butter?

Schroom's huh? Kinda telling on yourself.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 31, 3:32*am, "Rick Samuel"
wrote:
Did you ever try it with fat-free/ low-fat cream of schroom soup?
Margarine vs butter?

*Schroom's huh? *Kinda telling on yourself.

LOL. Naaaa, saw it on an episode of Entourage.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
Il Fornello
214 King Street West, Toronto, ON (A few doors East of The Royal Alex)

I've passed it by on occasion, but in all honesty I'm not into Italian. I
rarely eat pasta and I'm not so much into the sauces. As well, the vast
majority of establishments in that area aren't accessible. I'm much more
into the barbequed menu with the occasional surf and turf to vary the
restaurant diet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 31, 11:43*am, "Upscale" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

Il Fornello
214 King Street West, Toronto, ON (A few doors East of The Royal Alex)

I've passed it by on occasion, but in all honesty I'm not into Italian. I
rarely eat pasta and I'm not so much into the sauces. As well, the vast
majority of establishments in that area aren't accessible. I'm much more
into the barbequed menu with the occasional surf and turf to vary the
restaurant diet.

Whoa! No Italian? How about Greek? Hell, I eat Mediterranean Periphery
food all the time.
Spanish, Italian, Greek, mmmmm not too keen on some of that Northern
African (Algerian etc.) stuff.

Then there is Pacific Rim Periphery food..*S*

Heck, there is so much history and culture that is food related. I
guess it is a lot like music. All good if done well.
There is food I don't like, as there is music I don't like. Some food
isn't even food, some 'music' isn't music either.

How about some haggis whilst enjoying some rap. Can you feel the
romance in the air?
Best you pass me that bottle of scotch........ I will eventually
acclimatise.

r--- who feels a bit silly not considering the 'access' aspect of
restaurants. Il Fornello is a steep climb. I will keep that in mind
next time I make a recommendation.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Stuart wrote:

In article
,
Robatoy wrote:
How about some haggis whilst enjoying some rap. Can you feel the
romance in the air?
Best you pass me that bottle of scotch........ I will eventually
acclimatise.

For me, I don't think the words "enjoy" and "rap" could ever be in the
same sentence but a haggis, as long as it's a "proper" one [1], with a
nice single malt - probably one of the Islay whiskies - Mmmm - heaven

I'm pretty sure that "enjoy" and "haggis" most definitely belong in the
same sentence.

[1] One locally made in a butchers, not in a factory, using a real sheep's
pluck not a plastic bag.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Stuart wrote:

In article
,
Robatoy wrote:
How about some haggis whilst enjoying some rap. Can you feel the
romance in the air?
Best you pass me that bottle of scotch........ I will eventually
acclimatise.

For me, I don't think the words "enjoy" and "rap" could ever be in the
same sentence but a haggis, as long as it's a "proper" one [1], with a
nice single malt - probably one of the Islay whiskies - Mmmm - heaven

I'm pretty sure that "enjoy" and "haggis" most definitely belong in the
same sentence.

Whoops, That should have read, "I'm pretty sure that "enjoy" and "haggis"
most definitely DON'T belong in the same sentence."

[1] One locally made in a butchers, not in a factory, using a real
[sheep's
pluck not a plastic bag.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
Whoa! No Italian? How about Greek? Hell, I eat Mediterranean Periphery
food all the time. Spanish, Italian, Greek, mmmmm not too keen on some of
that Northern
African (Algerian etc.) stuff.

No, don't eat much of those either very often. Mostly it's only when I've
been invited to some group dinner and the menu is fixed. Guess I've led a
sheltered life. Best I can do is pigging out on the occasional Thai order.

r--- who feels a bit silly not considering the 'access' aspect of
restaurants. Il Fornello is a steep climb. I will keep that in mind
next time I make a recommendation.

Wouldn't worry about it. If they can't (or won't) make it so I can get in
the front door, then I'm not the least bit interested in spending my money
there anyway. I've lobbied a few restaurants to enable access for places
that I've visited in the remote past, but the standard response is that
they've been designated an historic building and they couldn't change
architecture if they wanted to.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Several years ago, there were "giant texas reds" which as I
recall were 6-10 count. I saw a 6 count one day and that is
a scary looking shrimp.

They all come from very deep water and most shrimpers don't
have the gear to go after them.

Swingman wrote:
"Upscale" wrote

reminded of an Australian TV travel ad I saw once where everybody is
invited
to visit and they will put a few "shrimp on the barbie". Biggest shrimp
I've
found to date were at a local Costco. Not anywhere near the size of the
ones
in the TV ad, but big enough that 1/2 dozen made for a full meal.

Biggest I ever saw in Oz were over 6" long (prawns). That's a damn big
"shrimp"!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pat Barber wrote:
Several years ago, there were "giant texas reds" which as I
recall were 6-10 count. I saw a 6 count one day and that is
a scary looking shrimp.

They all come from very deep water and most shrimpers don't
have the gear to go after them.

When I was in college one of the biology profs was running an
experimental shrimp farm. I don't recall what sort of shrimp they
were but they looked like lobsters and were about the same size and
the damn things would get out of the tank and chase people.

Swingman wrote:
"Upscale" wrote

reminded of an Australian TV travel ad I saw once where everybody
is
invited
to visit and they will put a few "shrimp on the barbie". Biggest
shrimp I've
found to date were at a local Costco. Not anywhere near the size
of
the ones
in the TV ad, but big enough that 1/2 dozen made for a full meal.

Biggest I ever saw in Oz were over 6" long (prawns). That's a damn
big "shrimp"!

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pat Barber wrote:
Several years ago, there were "giant texas reds" which as I
recall were 6-10 count. I saw a 6 count one day and that is
a scary looking shrimp.

They all come from very deep water and most shrimpers don't
have the gear to go after them.

Swingman wrote:
"Upscale" wrote

reminded of an Australian TV travel ad I saw once where everybody is
invited
to visit and they will put a few "shrimp on the barbie". Biggest
shrimp I've
found to date were at a local Costco. Not anywhere near the size of
the ones
in the TV ad, but big enough that 1/2 dozen made for a full meal.

Biggest I ever saw in Oz were over 6" long (prawns). That's a damn big
"shrimp"!

Living in Arizona, you have to eat desert shrimp:

http://www.desertsweetshrimp.com/index.html

Going to Gila Bend on Saturday and enter in the shrimp eating contest :-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Winterburn" wrote

Living in Arizona, you have to eat desert shrimp:

http://www.desertsweetshrimp.com/index.html

Going to Gila Bend on Saturday and enter in the shrimp eating contest :-)

I have been to Arizona, but did not know about the shrimp. Those look good.
I would have never thought about growing shrimp in such an arid location.

As for a shrimp eating contest, I will pass. I am reasonable certain that
such an exercise would result in extreme intestinal discomfort.

How many of those monster shrimp can you eat at one time?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
How many of those monster shrimp can you eat at one time?

Reminds me of 1992 or thereabouts when I won $1000 worth of food from the
local farmer's market building. Naturally I stocked up on their huge shrimp
as one of my first purchases and came home with about 5 pounds worth.

Anyway, I immediately cooked about three pounds and started to pig out.
Naturally, my cat came along and started yowling at the first whiff of
cooking shrimp. So, I fed him one for about every five shrimp I ate. It
finally came down to the few shrimp that were left. I was stuffed, couldn't
eat one more. I put them on the floor for the cat, he looked at them, then
hissed at them like he'd do to any junk yard dog and walked away. The poor
kitty was so full of shrimp that he didn't want to have anything more to do
with them.

First and only time I've ever seen a cat turn down shrimp.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Stuart wrote:
In article ,
J. Clarke wrote:
My machine is about 5 years old and it runs Vista just fine. And it
wasn't cutting edge when it was new. It did get a new video board
about a year ago, but that was because the old one died--it was
running Vista fine to the end.

Even the last machine I built, a few months ago, has XP on it. I'm not
touching Vista with a barge pole - far too many issues with it.

Sorry wrong newsgroup for mickysoft rants.

one reason i decided on an acer netbook laptop over any other kind of
cheap one was that it runs XP. having a 120GB HDD and costing only $349
didnt hurt either. built in wireless too!
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

I've always lived below my means, so its not really necessary
until depression times.