Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fixing door handles back to back?

Hi,

I have an interior double wooden/glass door that I want to fix handles
(u-shape) to. The handles we like only come with the attachment points
at the rear; that is, they are like cupboard door handles and don't
fix 'back to back' like the bigger door handles. (By back to back I
mean where the handle on one side attachs into the handle behind it.)

My question is, does anyone know of any products or methods that would
enable me to attach cupboard-type handles in a manner where they
connect back to back, please?

Thanks very much,
Ian

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 10, 3:30 am, wrote:
Hi,

My question is, does anyone know of any products or methods that would
enable me to attach cupboard-type handles in a manner where they
connect back to back, please?

Pretty simple -- assuming from your description they're threaded knobs
or pulls, just use a threaded rod of adequate length to go through the
door. Mount one, put it through the hole and add the other. That's
simple enough if are pulls that are single-holed.

If two-holed so can't turn them in place, you'll have to be more
creative. Easiest thing I can think of would be to mount the pulls to
an escutcheon plate and then mount the plates to the door itself.

Otherwise, you'll have to do something clever like go in from the edge
at the lockset location and fiddle around trying to fasten something
through -- not an easy job.

Probably the best solution if the escutcheon idea isn't palatable is
to use a knob/pull designed for the task...out of everything made,
surely there is _something_ that would serve...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10 Apr 2007 01:30:11 -0700, wrote:

Hi,

I have an interior double wooden/glass door that I want to fix handles
(u-shape) to. The handles we like only come with the attachment points
at the rear; that is, they are like cupboard door handles and don't
fix 'back to back' like the bigger door handles. (By back to back I
mean where the handle on one side attachs into the handle behind it.)

My question is, does anyone know of any products or methods that would
enable me to attach cupboard-type handles in a manner where they
connect back to back, please?

Thanks very much,
Ian

Well, what you're probably thinking about is a dowel screw.
http://www.patemeadows.com/dowel%20screw.htm

But I think I'd lean towards glue, myself.
Or drilling right through the top of one of
the nobs, screwing it through the door to
the other one, and capping the hole.

A third option would be to glue a captive nut
in one pull, and a captive bolt in the other.
and screw the the two together through the door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Goedjn" wrote in message
[...]

And if each handle has 2 attachment points, like a typical cuboard handle,
how would you propose everything get spun together? See where OP said
'U-shaped handle'?

I think I have a pretty good idea what OP wants to do- 'invisible mount'
handles like used to be popular on storefronts a few years back, with
semi-frameless glass doors. About all I can suggest is that he cheat, and
offset the handles slightly from each other, with the mount bolts buried in
countersunk holes hidden under dowel pegs. That will only work if the doors
have a wood edge thick enough for a plug and a screwhole. I think on
all-glass doors, they usually glued them, or the base of one side was really
the bolt for the other, and the the handle on that side was just a press fit
onto spring clips.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks everyone! I've never posted to this topic before, but your
replies have been very helpful.

Ian