Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default Where are YOU cutting back?

In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
farther?

I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to hear
how those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.

Thanks

TMT
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
farther?

I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to hear
how those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.

Thanks

TMT

I'm spreading the wealth around. Bought new tires and a 32" LCD TV for
the 5th wheel. Ordered a Grizzly G0555 bandsaw on sale for $379.
Stimulating the economy as best I can.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 08:57:15 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
farther?

I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to hear
how those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.

Thanks

TMT

I have cut way back on using my vehicle. This includes less basic
shopping, no restaurants, less clothing, and no trying out new
products including woodworking tools. When it costs $85 to fill up I
try to make the tank last longer with fewer shorter trips, less
frequent visits (why is gas $2.90 a gallon when barrels are less than
$80?). No money right now to replace the gas truck guzzler, maybe
when the stock market improves and stabilizes a little bit.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
farther?

I'm not cutting back. Instead I'm working to help people cut forward.

It /does/ take a bit of thinking about...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

wrote:

In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
farther?

I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to hear
how those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.

Thanks

TMT

I have cut way back on using my vehicle. This includes less basic
shopping, no restaurants, less clothing, and no trying out new
products including woodworking tools. When it costs $85 to fill up I
try to make the tank last longer with fewer shorter trips, less
frequent visits (why is gas $2.90 a gallon when barrels are less than
$80?). No money right now to replace the gas truck guzzler, maybe
when the stock market improves and stabilizes a little bit.

Don't complain about $2.90 per gallon, during the peak, here in Canada,
where we have all our own oil and sell most of it to the US, it was running
at $1.20 per litre. At approximately 4 litres per gallon, gas cost us $4.80
per gallon. Today it is about 96 cents per litre, that is still about $3.84
per gallon. Makes $2.90 a bargain.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
farther?

I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to hear
how those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.

Thanks

TMT

Doing less, but still doing everything as in the past. The price of gas and
heating oil is costing me about $300 a month over last year. I wanted to
build some new end tables, but they are pushed back a bit; instead I'm
making a couple of picture frames. There are a couple of other small
projects that I want to do cabinet, shelves) that can be done with pine
boards, not cherry.

All the money saving articles tell you to eat at home instead of at a
restaurant. OK, it is cheaper but stopping that once a week meal can put
the restaurant and all its employees out of business. I may skip the wine
or cocktail, but still order a normal meal. At home I may buy a chicken
instead of a rib roast. I skipped lobster at $10.99 and now it is on sale
at $3.99. Good bourbon is still about the same price though. I should
stock up.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"EXT" wrote in
anews.com:

wrote:

[...]

It's less than $2.60/gal here in North Jersey, at many cheaper stations,
including Exxon grimace

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

I now use both sides of toilet paper

On 2008-10-25, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
farther?

I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to hear
how those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.

Thanks

TMT

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
farther?

I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to hear
how those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.

Thanks

TMT

Only place we've cut back is fuel . The wife has a camper to stay in
during the week , since she teacches 45+ miles from where we live .
I haven't really cut back anywhere . In fact , I'm moving forward with my
plans to build a foundry to cast aluminum (and maybe bronze/brass later) ,
just finished pouring the hot face in my five gallon furnace . Firin' this
bad boy with a burner built similar to the Reil burners - based on his ,
actually .
Truth is , my wife is one verry verry savvy lady , has been doing a lot of
this "new" frugal stuff for years . She could WRITE those magazine articles
Snag
A good woman should be BESIDE her man ...

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

In tough times consumers tend to cut back...

Some do, some dont.

so where are you cutting back, reprioritizing resources,
whatever to make that dollar go farther?

Nowhere, nada, ziltch.

I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to
hear how those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote in message
In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
farther?

I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to hear
how those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.

Thanks

TMT

Letting some magazine subscriptions expire without renewing.
Making Christmas (and birthday) presents by hand instead of buying
(needlework)
Cutting out a lot of 'extra' comfort food purchases.
Hanging tarps/curtains over doorways to keep heat in the most lived in
areas/avoiding drafts.
Getting more from the 'day old' racks of produce. (Makes good soup - and
salads if used immediately).
Making some breads from scratch instead of purchasing.
Cancelling book club memberships (too tempting to buy).

All little things - but they add up.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

..

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
farther?

I'm not cutting back. Instead I'm working to help people cut forward.

It /does/ take a bit of thinking about...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

If you are into solar What should a 5.96 KW AC system cost . 30 panels (
sunpower SPR-225-BLK-U) one inverter ( sunpower SPR-7000m) We just
started looking into Solar because of high electric cost in our area (
Pacific Gas & Electric) Just curious if you would have any Idea.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Rod Speed wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

In tough times consumers tend to cut back...

Some do, some dont.

so where are you cutting back, reprioritizing resources,
whatever to make that dollar go farther?

Nowhere, nada, ziltch.

When you survive on welfare subsistence you have nothing to cut back.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

canceled the local paper, the LA Times, and read it on line. I
still get the NY times and the web version misses a lot of stories from
the print edition.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Sac Dave wrote:

If you are into solar What should a 5.96 KW AC system cost . 30 panels (
sunpower SPR-225-BLK-U) one inverter ( sunpower SPR-7000m) We just
started looking into Solar because of high electric cost in our area (
Pacific Gas & Electric) Just curious if you would have any Idea.

[responding from rec.woodworking]

I don't know. I stay pretty focused on thermal solar (heating, cooling,
and pumping), rather than photovoltaic. A good place to check would be
on news:alt.solar.photovoltaic where there are some folks in PG&E territory.

My accumulation of useful info from ASPV went down the drain with a
Windows/ME crash on my previous computer.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

But how much of that cost is tax. Where I live we pay about a total of $0.45 in
tax. Federal tax I believe is about $0.18 per/gl

Chris
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
farther?

I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to hear
how those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.

Thanks

TMT

The only place my wife and I cut back is on our driving. We have a budget that
we live by and do not make increases for gas until each January. Other budget
items are done semi annually and quarterly.

Chris
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
farther?

I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to hear
how those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.

Thanks

TMT

Why would anyone want to Cut Back?

Damn the torpedoes, Full spead ahead.

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Tell me your not the Rod Speed of Fidonets Dr. Debug fame?

Damn, you get around...

Rod Speed wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

In tough times consumers tend to cut back...

Some do, some dont.

so where are you cutting back, reprioritizing resources,
whatever to make that dollar go farther?

Nowhere, nada, ziltch.

I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to
hear how those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote in news:68bba63c-348a-
:

In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
farther?

I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to hear
how those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.

Thanks

TMT

We are always looking for ways to save a few bucks.

-Shop at the Grocery Outlet for some good bargins
-Shop at the bread outlet store for bargins on bread.

-Shop low on the "food chain". That is buy more basics,
and no boxed meals. Buy from the bulk selection.

-Shop at the store with the best prices. Shun the
pricey upscale and natural food stores.

- WE have a pay as you throw garbage collection. Recently
we got a large recycleing tip cart (gratis). The thing is
huge. We realized that a lot of what we were throwing
out was recycleable. Se we diverted a large amount of
our trash to the recycleing bin (following the guidlines
of what was acceptable). We then had so little garbage,
that we were able to switch to the smaller garbage tip
cart. The tip rate depends on the size of the tip cart.
So we have a savings by using the smaller cart.

- Disconnect the cable TV.

- Cars: I have always bought used cars for cash. No actual
savings since it was a good habit already.

- Cutting my own hair. Use a #6 to buzz the sides. Trim the
top with sisors, my wife tapers the back.

- No eating out. We used to eat out once a week.

- Make our own pizza instead of calling for delivery.

-

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
farther?

I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to hear
how those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.

Well, I have put off buying that mansion, hummer and building a utopian
shop.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote:

In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
farther?

I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to hear
how those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.

Thanks

TMT

==========
Most of the posters to both RCM and AMC tend to be prudent and
frugal consumers [translastion real cheapscrews] so you may not
see much change here.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

strangely, nothing nothing at all

len

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

All the money saving articles tell you to eat at home instead of at a
restaurant. OK, it is cheaper but stopping that once a week meal can put
the restaurant and all its employees out of business. I may skip the wine
or cocktail, but still order a normal meal. At home I may buy a chicken
instead of a rib roast. I skipped lobster at $10.99 and now it is on sale
at $3.99. Good bourbon is still about the same price though. I should
stock up.

Food is indeed getting noticeably higher and higher here in Houston. I
suspect these folks here are taking advantage and charging what the trade
will bear ... typical US corporate bottom line mentality first, morality
last ... or what the hell is that?

Why do I think that?... in AR almost every single item in your shopping cart
at Kroger is a dollar cheaper than here in Texas.

So, screw 'em ... it's back to my old coon ass ways. I have a pressure
cooker that is older than I am (belonged to my grandmother). A 3 lb chuck
roast from the sale bin, seasoned, stuffed with some garlic buds, then
browned in olive oil in the cooker with sliced mushrooms, chopped onion and
bell pepper; add 1/4 cup of wine, and 15 minutes of pressure cooking will
give you a tender chunk of meat, with a lot gravy that will make you slap
your momma, is good for two, or three, for two days +.

Keep it refrigerated and on the third day, with about a half pound or so of
roast left, slice it into chunks, add canned new potatoes, carrots and corn
to the meat and gravy, maybe season some more, heat and you have a "stew"
that's good for at least one more meal.

Total for three days of supper ... less than $15, even at current exorbitant
prices.

The wine for the roast - a good Texas red can be had at Sam's for $9.89 for
2, 1 1/2 liter bottles - and is also damn good for the cook. DAMHIKT

Do the above twice a month and you can maybe afford to go to the Chinese
buffet occasionally ... or maybe even the Arlington for Sunday brunch once
every six months .... well, maybe not!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Terry, I believe your wife is doing whats called "living within your
means"... At least thats what my Grandparents and Parents told me that its
called... Been there for years!!!! The house is almost paid (15 years early)
all the cars were paid for in cash I have some money in the bank and for
retirement.
Some years its harder then others, but they all sort of even out!!!!

bob in phx.
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
. ..
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
[...]

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

In your case, you can downsize to Just_Enough_Tools.

B.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Ignoramus3071 wrote:
I now use both sides of toilet paper

Another Russian joke?
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
farther?

It helps if you aren't a consumer.

I build and sell things for a living. Business
is very good. Huge amount of overseas orders
right now and having to beg my employees to work
overtime. I'm actually hoping it will slow down
a bit so we can tool up for some new products.

Personally, I'm a scrounge and I live in a temperate
climate and I'm 3 minutes from work. Don't spend
much to start with. The wife is a different matter,
but we're not going to go there (:
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Jack Stein wrote:

Tell me your not the Rod Speed of Fidonets Dr. Debug fame?

I'm not into lying |-)

Damn, you get around...

Better than being a square I spose...

Rod Speed wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

In tough times consumers tend to cut back...

Some do, some dont.

so where are you cutting back, reprioritizing resources,
whatever to make that dollar go farther?

Nowhere, nada, ziltch.

I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to
hear how those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 18:13:23 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

Food is indeed getting noticeably higher and higher here in Houston. I
suspect these folks here are taking advantage and charging what the trade
will bear ... typical US corporate bottom line mentality first, morality
last ... or what the hell is that?

Why do I think that?... in AR almost every single item in your shopping cart
at Kroger is a dollar cheaper than here in Texas.

A friend came by today. He works for Walmart...and just transfered
back to California from Texas.

Mimimum wage was less in Texas, but housing, food ect ect were higher
in Texas than in California..least my part of it.

He transfered back to california, took a 2 level decrease in grade,
and a $2 an hour increase in pay.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote:

In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
farther?

I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to hear
how those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.

We're not running an extravagant house, we're already the schlunky
looking place on the block. Much to the chagrin of the guy trying to
sell across the street, but if he thinks he can get top dollar in
/this/ market he's got a rude awakening coming - Forget making a
killing, he'll be lucky to get out alive... I'm cleaning up and
moving everything to the back yard.

Buying smarter, and raising the "Do we really need it?" bar yet
another notch - If it still works, it stays, if it can be fixed simply
it gets fixed. Amazing how many things die just because the fuse
popped, ignore the "No User Serviceable Parts Inside" bull****.

Combining trips, and using Mom's Saturn SL2 (30+ MPG) a LOT more
than the Work Truck (10 MPG) for little trips.

Saving old light poles, Strut pieces, and other recyclable materials
for reuse. Have to build a horizontal rolling conduit and pipe rack,
and it'll be all reclaimed steel. Not 'Old Bed Frame' either -
although I have some OBF Steel I'm going to build a small paint rack
out of.

Sand down and put a coat of Oil-base Spar Polyurethane on shovel and
pick handles, rather than toss them and buy new. When they break,
/then/ they go.

Have to send in for DTV Converter coupons and put up another outdoor
antenna, since we've only got one Digital Ready set. With the old
small dish sometimes DirecTV goes away in the rain, and I'm not giving
Time/Warner Cable a dime.

Have to start following Mom's old tricks more of buying "almost
outdates" in the meat case - amazing that they used to charge extra
for "Aged Beef!" Cook triple and quadruple batches, and freeze meals
for later - or portion and freeze the ingredients.

And selectively picking dent cans, as long as it isn't on the seams.
I'm not going for Mystery Cans just yet... But if the market folks
are on the ball, they mark what they are. Or you can sometimes figure
it out from the production codes.

I might have to get/build one new computer to run Vista and new
apps, but the old ones keep running till they die.

-- Bruce --

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Jim Stewart wrote:
Ignoramus3071 wrote:
I now use both sides of toilet paper

Another Russian joke?

Nahh, Russians use Pravda. The toilet paper's never in stock.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
In tough times consumers tend to cut back...so where are you cutting
back, reprioritizing resources, whatever to make that dollar go
farther?

I am also posting this in the metal and wood working groups to hear
how those who pursue the hobby are allotting their resources.

Thanks

TMT

Query: Are you selling some of those excess tools you apparently have?
mahalo,
jo4hn
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

My machine is about 5 years old and it runs Vista just fine. And it
wasn't cutting edge when it was new. It did get a new video board
about a year ago, but that was because the old one died--it was
running Vista fine to the end.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote

My machine is about 5 years old and it runs Vista just fine. And it
wasn't cutting edge when it was new. It did get a new video board
about a year ago, but that was because the old one died--it was
running Vista fine to the end.

So vista killed off your old graphics card, eh?

Reminds me of an old, reliable HP II printer I had. I got a postscript
cartridge for it and cranked out huge amount of work from this machine.

Then I got windows. It did not take long. Windows killed that old, reliable
machine. It just couldn't keep up.

Technology marches on, leaving a trail of old, toxic electonic waste. I am
now reviewing software based on their ability to run duo core versus quad
core. One application, I may just change some software over that is not as
versatile as what I am running now. But one application cries out for the
extra speed and processing power. The present setup is freezing and slowing
down.

And if I go and change it over, a major hassle, what will the situation be
like in another year or two?

grumble, grumble

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On 2008-10-26, FlexUP! FlexUP! wrote:
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 13:21:22 -0500, Ignoramus3071
wrote:

I now use both sides of toilet paper

I took free yoga classes at our local library, until I was limber enough to
lick my own butt. The taste is nasty, but I save $42 per year in toilet
paper.

Can you type on a keyboard while doing that? Now that would be a real
yoga accomplishment.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote

My machine is about 5 years old and it runs Vista just fine. And
it
wasn't cutting edge when it was new. It did get a new video board
about a year ago, but that was because the old one died--it was
running Vista fine to the end.

So vista killed off your old graphics card, eh?

Nahh, the fan died and the chip overheated.

Reminds me of an old, reliable HP II printer I had. I got a
postscript
cartridge for it and cranked out huge amount of work from this
machine.

HP used to make good stuff (of course the HP Laserjet II was really a
Canon with an HP label on it). The thing that annoys me is that they
don't support it the way they used to--no Vista driver for my HP photo
printer for example (but then there was never a
Windows 95 driver for the Scanjet I, so I guess that it's the same as
always).

Then I got windows. It did not take long. Windows killed that old,
reliable machine. It just couldn't keep up.

Technology marches on, leaving a trail of old, toxic electonic
waste.
I am now reviewing software based on their ability to run duo core
versus quad core. One application, I may just change some software
over that is not as versatile as what I am running now. But one
application cries out for the extra speed and processing power. The
present setup is freezing and slowing down.

Just a suggestion, but spend the extra bucks for a machine that takes
ECC RAM. Most freezing problems are the result of defective memory.
One of the most annoying trends in computing is the elimination of any
kind of error checking on RAM--I understand the why of it--most
"computer technicians" used to "fix" parity errors by turning off
parity checking instead of finding and replacing the dead chip--but
for those of us who do know our butts from a hole in the ground it's
nice to have.

And if I go and change it over, a major hassle, what will the
situation be like in another year or two?

Good question, I think it's going to be a long while before I upgrade
software again.

grumble, grumble

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Stuart wrote:
In article ,
J. Clarke wrote:
My machine is about 5 years old and it runs Vista just fine. And it
wasn't cutting edge when it was new. It did get a new video board
about a year ago, but that was because the old one died--it was
running Vista fine to the end.

Even the last machine I built, a few months ago, has XP on it. I'm not
touching Vista with a barge pole - far too many issues with it.

Sorry wrong newsgroup for mickysoft rants.

The only machine in my house that runs Vista (well , not counting the kid's
comps) is the Acer we bought a year ago . The rest all run XP , with one as
a dual boot running Ubuntu 8.04 - which plays with Windows very well indeed
.. Had Vista on that machine too , but decided to go to XP-Pro because of the
bloat .
Vista is indeed "Windows for Idiots" ...
--
Snag
Too many hobbies , too little time .