Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Where are YOU cutting back?

Lee Michaels wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote

My machine is about 5 years old and it runs Vista just fine. And
it
wasn't cutting edge when it was new. It did get a new video board
about a year ago, but that was because the old one died--it was
running Vista fine to the end.

So vista killed off your old graphics card, eh?

Nahh, the fan died and the chip overheated.

Reminds me of an old, reliable HP II printer I had. I got a
postscript
cartridge for it and cranked out huge amount of work from this
machine.

HP used to make good stuff (of course the HP Laserjet II was really a
Canon with an HP label on it). The thing that annoys me is that they
don't support it the way they used to--no Vista driver for my HP photo
printer for example (but then there was never a
Windows 95 driver for the Scanjet I, so I guess that it's the same as
always).

Then I got windows. It did not take long. Windows killed that old,
reliable machine. It just couldn't keep up.

Technology marches on, leaving a trail of old, toxic electonic
waste.
I am now reviewing software based on their ability to run duo core
versus quad core. One application, I may just change some software
over that is not as versatile as what I am running now. But one
application cries out for the extra speed and processing power. The
present setup is freezing and slowing down.

Just a suggestion, but spend the extra bucks for a machine that takes
ECC RAM. Most freezing problems are the result of defective memory.
One of the most annoying trends in computing is the elimination of any
kind of error checking on RAM--I understand the why of it--most
"computer technicians" used to "fix" parity errors by turning off
parity checking instead of finding and replacing the dead chip--but
for those of us who do know our butts from a hole in the ground it's
nice to have.

And if I go and change it over, a major hassle, what will the
situation be like in another year or two?

Good question, I think it's going to be a long while before I upgrade
software again.

grumble, grumble

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate