Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels Lee Michaels is offline

Default Where are YOU cutting back?

"J. Clarke" wrote

My machine is about 5 years old and it runs Vista just fine. And it
wasn't cutting edge when it was new. It did get a new video board
about a year ago, but that was because the old one died--it was
running Vista fine to the end.

So vista killed off your old graphics card, eh?

Reminds me of an old, reliable HP II printer I had. I got a postscript
cartridge for it and cranked out huge amount of work from this machine.

Then I got windows. It did not take long. Windows killed that old, reliable
machine. It just couldn't keep up.

Technology marches on, leaving a trail of old, toxic electonic waste. I am
now reviewing software based on their ability to run duo core versus quad
core. One application, I may just change some software over that is not as
versatile as what I am running now. But one application cries out for the
extra speed and processing power. The present setup is freezing and slowing
down.

And if I go and change it over, a major hassle, what will the situation be
like in another year or two?

grumble, grumble