T i m

Default Cutting the back off a ceramic cistern lid?

Hi friends,

Our friends have recently moved into a new (to them) place and I have
been helping them 'sort out' some of the little (mostly bodged by the
PO) jobs.

One such (I noticed when in the bathroom making the toilet seat fit
properly .. hinges on the wrong way round and most the screws loose
...) was that the ceramic cistern lid won't sit on the cistern
properly?

This it turns out is because the PO tiled over the tiles (I personally
hate that) and didn't allow room for the lid to go back properly
sigh?

So, we (I) could either cut the back off the lid using? (diamond disk
cutter on my angle grinder?)

or try to trim the upper layer tiles back using ?

or leave it as it is ... ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Mary Fisher

"T i m" wrote in message
Hi friends,

Our friends have recently moved into a new (to them) place and I have
been helping them 'sort out' some of the little (mostly bodged by the
PO) jobs.

One such (I noticed when in the bathroom making the toilet seat fit
properly .. hinges on the wrong way round and most the screws loose
..) was that the ceramic cistern lid won't sit on the cistern
properly?

This it turns out is because the PO tiled over the tiles (I personally
hate that) and didn't allow room for the lid to go back properly
sigh?

So, we (I) could either cut the back off the lid using? (diamond disk
cutter on my angle grinder?)

or try to trim the upper layer tiles back using ?

I'd insist on that being done. apart from anything else it must be easier.

Why not take off the second layer of tiles?

Or both, the lower one might be damaged or simply horrid.

The window sill in our lavvy has an interesting cut-out. The house is 1937
and all the others on the estate had overhead cisterns but my aunt who lived
here first wanted a posh low-level w.c. My godfather, a brilliant plumber,
installed one for her but had to cut the sill to accommodate the cistern
lid. The cut is off-set because the window isn't central in the wall but the
w.c. is.

It's the original w.c., the waste is still connected to the outside pipe by
a huge collar of lead.

Both Auntie Ann and Uncle Bill have shuffled off the wotsit but I think of
them ever time I'm in the smallest room ... so what's done could have long
lasting consequences. Tell your friends not to act in haste or future
generations might hold it against - not them - you!

Mary

Mike John

"T i m" wrote in message =
Hi friends,
=20
[...]

Or unscrew the cistern from the wall and insert spacers to alolow lid to =
fit? (may be tight fit if close coupled but all you need is a quarter =
inch)

Mike
Harry Bloomfield

On 24/02/2004 T i m a wrote :
Hi friends,

Our friends have recently moved into a new (to them) place and I have
been helping them 'sort out' some of the little (mostly bodged by the
PO) jobs.

One such (I noticed when in the bathroom making the toilet seat fit
properly .. hinges on the wrong way round and most the screws loose
..) was that the ceramic cistern lid won't sit on the cistern
properly?

This it turns out is because the PO tiled over the tiles (I personally
hate that) and didn't allow room for the lid to go back properly
sigh?

So, we (I) could either cut the back off the lid using? (diamond disk
cutter on my angle grinder?)

or try to trim the upper layer tiles back using ?

or leave it as it is ... ;-)

Why not just move the cistern forward a bit?

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

T i m

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 23:01:26 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

On 24/02/2004 T i m a wrote :
Hi friends,

Our friends have recently moved into a new (to them) place and I have
been helping them 'sort out' some of the little (mostly bodged by the
PO) jobs.

One such (I noticed when in the bathroom making the toilet seat fit
properly .. hinges on the wrong way round and most the screws loose
..) was that the ceramic cistern lid won't sit on the cistern
properly?

This it turns out is because the PO tiled over the tiles (I personally
hate that) and didn't allow room for the lid to go back properly
sigh?

So, we (I) could either cut the back off the lid using? (diamond disk
cutter on my angle grinder?)

or try to trim the upper layer tiles back using ?

or leave it as it is ... ;-)

Why not just move the cistern forward a bit?

[T] Sorry Guys (and Gal) nearly missed the replies ;-(

It is close coupled and I'm not sure what sort of 'play' there is on
these things if I was to try to move the cistern fowrard? On top of
that it looks like the cistern is fairly well burried in both the
layers of tiles round the sides and bottom? ;-(

It was suggested I might be able to trim the top layer of tiles back
with a Rotozip tool and I was looking for an excuse to get one ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

PoP

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 22:30:29 +0000, T i m wrote:

It was suggested I might be able to trim the top layer of tiles back
with a Rotozip tool and I was looking for an excuse to get one ;-)

What the hell are you waiting for? Christmas?

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If
you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk

I apologise for the additional effort, however the
level of unsolicited email I receive makes it
impossible to advertise my real email address!

Box spanner for basin back nuts Joe UK diy 1 February 24th 04 01:13 AM
Adventures in Loft-land [email protected] UK diy 9 January 16th 04 08:14 PM
Cistern drip Ad UK diy 8 November 30th 03 12:20 AM
Water cistern PoP UK diy 6 October 3rd 03 11:56 PM
cutting hole in ceramic tile Dave Liquorice UK diy 20 July 30th 03 02:01 PM