Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Where are YOU cutting back?

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

All the money saving articles tell you to eat at home instead of at a
restaurant. OK, it is cheaper but stopping that once a week meal can put
the restaurant and all its employees out of business. I may skip the wine
or cocktail, but still order a normal meal. At home I may buy a chicken
instead of a rib roast. I skipped lobster at $10.99 and now it is on sale
at $3.99. Good bourbon is still about the same price though. I should
stock up.

Food is indeed getting noticeably higher and higher here in Houston. I
suspect these folks here are taking advantage and charging what the trade
will bear ... typical US corporate bottom line mentality first, morality
last ... or what the hell is that?

Why do I think that?... in AR almost every single item in your shopping cart
at Kroger is a dollar cheaper than here in Texas.

So, screw 'em ... it's back to my old coon ass ways. I have a pressure
cooker that is older than I am (belonged to my grandmother). A 3 lb chuck
roast from the sale bin, seasoned, stuffed with some garlic buds, then
browned in olive oil in the cooker with sliced mushrooms, chopped onion and
bell pepper; add 1/4 cup of wine, and 15 minutes of pressure cooking will
give you a tender chunk of meat, with a lot gravy that will make you slap
your momma, is good for two, or three, for two days +.

Keep it refrigerated and on the third day, with about a half pound or so of
roast left, slice it into chunks, add canned new potatoes, carrots and corn
to the meat and gravy, maybe season some more, heat and you have a "stew"
that's good for at least one more meal.

Total for three days of supper ... less than $15, even at current exorbitant
prices.

The wine for the roast - a good Texas red can be had at Sam's for $9.89 for
2, 1 1/2 liter bottles - and is also damn good for the cook. DAMHIKT

Do the above twice a month and you can maybe afford to go to the Chinese
buffet occasionally ... or maybe even the Arlington for Sunday brunch once
every six months .... well, maybe not!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08