Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Repost of EZ Etouffee

"Robatoy" wrote

I love hot if it needs to be hot, not hot for hot-sakes. I often eat
shechuan dishes with green chili paste, we eat Indonesian and Thai
dishes all the time, and you are absolutely right about Indian curries
vs, that Tiki Masla crap they pass off as 'curry' in some restaurants.
I often say "Yowsa, that was worth it", but never will I eat 'suicide
buffalo wings and stupid college-drunk shiat like that. That's just as
silly as crushing an empty beer can on your forehead or drinking bong
water.... so I'm told.

Yeah, bubba! ... big difference between a dish being past too "hot and
spicy" just because some idjit thinks it's supposed to be that way, and a
dish that is just right "spicy" because it's properly, and culturally,
seasoned.

Restaurants that serve "Cajun dishes", even in S. Louisiana these days, more
than likely have someone heavy handed from the Mexican culture in the
kitchen mixing pre-prepared crap from a play book.

Personally, I don't like food ridiculously hot, just for hot's sake (except
maybe REAL menudo, but only so you can get it past your nose and into your
mouth), but I do like it, as Cajuns say, "piquant" or "piquer".

AAMOF, I usually host on an annual Gumbo party between Christmas and New
Years (if we indeed do it again this year Robert/nailshooter, y'all really
need to come this time as it may be the last, in this location anyway!) and
my gumbo at this event is purposely not "piquant" enough for my taste due to
the variety of palates that need to be pleased ... but there is always that
bottle of elixir from Avery Island to adjust it, if need be!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08