Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flashlight temptation / types of light bulbs

On Thursday, May 5, 2016 at 5:33:01 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The URL calls it Cree, and the web page calls
it an emitter. That's how I got my choice of
name for the device.

Although the url contains the work cree...there is nothing on the page that says cree? WTF!
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/5/2016 7:44 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Fri, 06 May 2016 00:06:20 +0100, Stormin Mormon
Just brighter LEDs that's all, they're still light emitting diodes.

The URL calls it Cree, and the web page calls
it an emitter. That's how I got my choice of
name for the device.

Cree is a company. They make very bright LEDs.

Which, on the web page, are called emitters.
We agree.

Light EMITTING diode.

I'd have a really tough time finding an
example of an emitter which was EMITTING.

I think this conversation is going only
one way (thanks to your cooperation). So,
I wish you to roll over and diode.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Default Flashlight temptation / life of battery types

On Thu, 5 May 2016 18:30:49 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 5/5/2016 6:17 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Huh? CREE make LEDS.
CY: Well, maybe they use different names.

Huh? I assume "CREE emitter" is a type of LED, like the ones I have in
some of my household bulbs.

CY: The ones I call Cree tend to be square, and
mounted on a circuit board or heat sink. LED
are dome shaped with two wires. Seldom heat sunk.

Yes, Carbon zinc cells are very easy
to find in stores in the USA. Very low energy
capacity. Low amp delivery. And they lose power
rapidly. And leak easily. Brown corrosion, around
the flat negative end.

So why does anyone buy them? You'd only be fooled once.
CY: Price. The carbon zinc AA cells are eight for a buck,
at Dollar Tree. Alkalines are four for a buck. Some consumers
don't know that alkalines last four times as long. As such,
a much better product for the money.

6 times. And surely they only make that mistake once? Anyway, in the
UK at least, everyone has heard of alkaline, usually Duracell.

CY: In the early 1980s, I did life tests of carbon
and alkaline batteries. I tried high drain (pocket
flash light, AA cells) and low drain (tape recorder
using C cells). My tests came up four to one. Did you
do the tests, or do you have an online link? It may
well have changed, since then.

You can download data sheets for all the Duracell batteries here
https://www.duracell.com/en-us/for-business/

Big zipped file - 175MB

Includes alkaline, NiMh, Lithium, coin cells, chargers, etc - probably
more than you want to know ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/5/2016 7:54 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 5 May 2016 18:30:49 -0400, Stormin Mormon
CY: In the early 1980s, I did life tests of carbon
and alkaline batteries. I tried high drain (pocket
flash light, AA cells) and low drain (tape recorder
using C cells). My tests came up four to one. Did you
do the tests, or do you have an online link? It may
well have changed, since then.

You can download data sheets for all the Duracell batteries here
https://www.duracell.com/en-us/for-business/

Big zipped file - 175MB

Includes alkaline, NiMh, Lithium, coin cells, chargers, etc - probably
more than you want to know ;-)

Thanks. I found that Dura and Energizer both have
tech sheets. Which are very helpful.

Any idea what's the ratio? Does Duracell last six
times longer than carbon zinc cells?
--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/5/2016 8:03 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:
On Thu, 05 May 2016 19:54:53 -0400, wrote:

You can download data sheets for all the Duracell batteries here
https://www.duracell.com/en-us/for-business/

Big zipped file - 175MB

Includes alkaline, NiMh, Lithium, coin cells, chargers, etc - probably
more than you want to know ;-)

Thanks. Something useful comes out of Stormin's babbling.

The lunch lady gave me the useful babbling
award, in second grade. Sadly, she some how
felt necessary to duct tape it right over
my mouth.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Default Flashlight temptation / types of battery packs

On 5/5/2016 8:00 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:
On Thu, 5 May 2016 18:37:31 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:
metal to conduct electricity. I've also found they
usually have one dead cell, and three which work
fine. Lot to be said for loose cells.

Cut open a NiMH or NiCd C or D cell. You will find an AA cell inside.
In the GE's I cut open, tipped off by the identical Ahr ratings, the
AA cell even had the label on it just like the ones they sold as AA.

Yes, I've heard that. Since that time, I've
bought a couple shells, which allow me to
use AA cells as if they were C cells. And
some AA to D battery adapters.

What happens if you cut open a Stumped Moron?
Do you find a Jehovas Witness inside?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/5/2016 7:51 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:
On Thu, 5 May 2016 18:33:00 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

CY: Well, maybe they use different names.

http://www.dx.com/p/replacement-3w-cree-xr-e-q5-170lm-emitter-on-14mm-star-for-flashlight-silver-white-246331#.Vyu9mCGE_2Q

Hope the link comes through. Anyhow, the emitters
are differnt than the LED commonly in use.

Light EMITTING Diodes. Yes, LEDs emit. Therefore, they are emitters.
It's just a brand name used to distinguish a range of products, i.e.,
high power LEDs.

"Remember, if it doesn't say 'radar range', it's not an Amanda."

Stromin' will walk away with the intended message "only Amanda makes
microwave ovens."

I knew a gal named Amanda. You telling me she worked in a
factory making Cree emitters?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/5/2016 7:47 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:
On Thu, 5 May 2016 18:30:49 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

CY: The ones I call Cree tend to be

Yes, but you tend to call usenet, "the lists" and an radio amateur's
go-bag something like a radio evacuation bag.

Stormin' likes to make up his own name for things.

square, and mounted on a circuit board or heat sink.

They are mounted on an integral heat sink. That's because they are
meant to dissipate high powers. It's simply physics. CREE may have
invented the design but it's pretty obvious to anyone that does
design. Not all CREE products are built that way. Other companies use
nearly identical designs.

The physical construction and the brand name are not related, except
in your mind.

You know, it's nice to share ideas with list writers
such as your self. Nice of you to bring up my radio
out bag. Makes me wonder if I need another flashlight
in my radio out bag. I ought to post to the list, and
see what the list writers have to say.

One of my handi talkies has a LED (not a cree emitter)
on top. Push one button and it blinks, again and it's
on steady. The light on top isn't all that useful, it
points in a really odd direction.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/5/2016 5:00 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:
On Thu, 5 May 2016 18:37:31 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I've been tempted by battery packs. However, I
also remember taking apart square Duracell 6 volt
lantern batteries. The one or two I've done have
D cells inside, with a cardboard spacer and some
metal to conduct electricity. I've also found they
usually have one dead cell, and three which work
fine. Lot to be said for loose cells.

Cut open a NiMH or NiCd C or D cell. You will find an AA cell inside.
In the GE's I cut open, tipped off by the identical Ahr ratings, the
AA cell even had the label on it just like the ones they sold as AA.

That's because you buy cheap flea-bay crap batteries.

Try some real full-capacity batteries from Amazon:

http://smile.amazon.com/Binford-6100/dp/B0040IAZ0S/
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/5/2016 8:02 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:
On Thu, 5 May 2016 22:46:04 -0700, Dev Null wrote:
On 5/5/2016 5:00 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:

Cut open a NiMH or NiCd C or D cell. You will find an AA cell inside.
In the GE's I cut open, tipped off by the identical Ahr ratings, the
AA cell even had the label on it just like the ones they sold as AA.

That's because you buy cheap flea-bay crap batteries.

Nope. Major retail store. Full price. Thanks for playing.

Anyone who pays full price at a major retail store for inferior
batteries got a good ****in'.
I'll bet you're drippin' like a newlywed bride when they get done with you.

ROFLMAO!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 6 May 2016 09:02:11 -0600, Jack wrote:

On 5/6/2016 1:18 AM, Dev Null wrote:
On 5/5/2016 8:02 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:
On Thu, 5 May 2016 22:46:04 -0700, Dev Null wrote:
On 5/5/2016 5:00 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:

Cut open a NiMH or NiCd C or D cell. You will find an AA cell inside.
In the GE's I cut open, tipped off by the identical Ahr ratings, the
AA cell even had the label on it just like the ones they sold as AA.

That's because you buy cheap flea-bay crap batteries.

Nope. Major retail store. Full price. Thanks for playing.

Anyone who pays full price at a major retail store for inferior
batteries got a good ****in'.
I'll bet you're drippin' like a newlywed bride when they get done with you.

ROFLMAO!

Yah, Winston was unwittingly duped.

I think the Energizer D-cell NiMH are actually AA-cell inside as well
but I could not find the specs listed on the Energizer site to confirm.

My two D-cell LED flashlights are powered by Powerex brand. Nice thing
about NiMH is that they don't leak so won't destroy your flashlight.

That's why they make the C and D that way - leak catching reservoir
---BG
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/6/2016 11:02 AM, Jack wrote:
I think the Energizer D-cell NiMH are actually AA-cell inside as well
but I could not find the specs listed on the Energizer site to confirm.

My two D-cell LED flashlights are powered by Powerex brand. Nice thing
about NiMH is that they don't leak so won't destroy your flashlight.

IIRC, the AA cells are about 2,000 to 2,500
mA hours. Some brands of D NiMH are as high
as 10,000 mA hours.

The good quality D size NiMH cells tempt me
to purchase. But, I don't use that much
equipment that has D cells. And, so far,
alkalines do the job.

One friend of mine in South Carolina (gets a
bit hotter, there) swears by good brand of
D-NIMH cells for his flashlights in vehicles.
Says that in the summer heat, even alkalines
are known to leak.

I've seen leaky nicads, but that was some
cells which were a decade or so old. I've
never had a NiMH leak.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Default Flashlight temptation (initial follow up report 4)

Almost 36 hours, and the light is still working.

And, still using the cheap carbon zinc battery.

That surprises even me. I remember the day when
we got three or four hours of light on filament
bulbs. Some day I need to check the current draw
of this Cree emitter.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Default Flashlight temptation

PaxPerPoten wrote:
On 5/3/2016 3:07 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
PaxPerPoten wrote:
On 5/2/2016 10:41 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
PaxPerPoten wrote:

The way inflation is going...That scenario could very well happen
and soon for fixed income people. $10-$15 per hour minimum wage
won't cut it now, It certainly won't cut what is coming soon. I
suggest that the Mormon buy some seeds and start planning his
winter meals now!

I have a wide variety of seeds ... some in long-term storage in
the freezer , but a lot right here at my elbow - the ones for
planting in the next few days are on my desk . Mostly field peas
and squashes . Got the last of the 'maters in the ground today ,
peppers are doing nicely and the zukes and okra are coming up .
Salad greens didn't do well this year , weather was too weird .

I have a bunch of stuff in, but the ground is still a bit cold and
germination is slow. I put in some Round-up-ready sweetcorn. That
ends the seeding problem for that produce. I am scouting out some
English Ivy or Boston ivy to provide a good climber for shady
privacy screen. I think that can be raised from cuttings but not
sure. Maybe there is even more aggressive vines available for shady
area's?

Have you considered kudzu ?

We had Kudzu down by Sherman Texas for grazing. I wasn't aware that it
was a climbing vine. I don't think it can survive our Northern
winters. But I will look into it. Thank you.

Actually I was joking ... down in Mississippi and other rural areas in The
South it was planted to control erosion . Big mistake , that stuff grows so
fast you can watch it grow . Overtakes and kills most anything in it's way
and has actually taken down power and telephone lines from it's weight .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Default Flashlight temptation (initial follow up report 5)

On 5/6/2016 8:25 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Almost 36 hours, and the light is still working.

And, still using the cheap carbon zinc battery.

That surprises even me. I remember the day when
we got three or four hours of light on filament
bulbs. Some day I need to check the current draw
of this Cree emitter.

At about 9 AM (nearly 36 hours, but not quite)
the light went out. I took out the battery to
check the end voltage. Which was 0.79 volts.

I noticed a couple drops of liquid in the bottom
of the flash light. The battery turns out to be
leaking. Oddly, the flat negative end had a bit of
liquid, and the battery was blowing bubbles. Not
sure why that is. I put some paper towel under the
battery in the trash can. Rinsed out the flash light
with warm water, and left it open to dry.

One amazing flash light. Doesn't do every thing,
but it does a good job as indoor light when you
need a little light, but not much. And the battery
life is exceptional.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Fri, 06 May 2016 13:23:18 +0100, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 5/6/2016 11:02 AM, Jack wrote:
[...]

I have, but it's just a small amount of white powder. Doesn't rust the contacts to hell.

--
You wag your tail like your mother, you repugnant, hairball engorging, cat buggering, pseudo-human android spawn of a foul-smelling telephone solicitor!
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Per Stormin Mormon:
But, I do like to keep the
options open. I can stop by the store and buy AA cells
easier than finding a lithium ion battery pack.

I have become partial to AA alkaline over Li for infrequently-used
devices.

Yes, Li offers exceptional shelf life.... but alkalines have a shelf
life of something like 5 years while my wife's phone (which she refuses
to use on any regular basis, but thinks the needs to have...) comes up
dead after a few months if it has not been charged.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Per Stormin Mormon:
The good quality D size NiMH cells tempt me
to purchase. But, I don't use that much
equipment that has D cells. And, so far,
alkalines do the job.

My marine GPS uses AA NiMH cells and I find that the self-discharge rate
on them is quite high - high enough that I need to charge the batteries
the night before each use.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/6/2016 1:26 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Fri, 06 May 2016 13:23:18 +0100, Stormin Mormon

I've seen leaky nicads, but that was some
cells which were a decade or so old. I've
never had a NiMH leak.

I have, but it's just a small amount of white powder. Doesn't rust the
contacts to hell.

Less corrosion is a good thing. Thanks.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/6/2016 2:33 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I have become partial to AA alkaline over Li for infrequently-used
devices.

Yes, Li offers exceptional shelf life.... but alkalines have a shelf
life of something like 5 years while my wife's phone (which she refuses
to use on any regular basis, but thinks the needs to have...) comes up
dead after a few months if it has not been charged.

I hope there is a car charger for her cell
phone, in the car some where.

The Energizer lithium single use AA cells
are supposed to have a long shelf life.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/6/2016 2:35 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

My marine GPS uses AA NiMH cells and I find that the self-discharge rate
on them is quite high - high enough that I need to charge the batteries
the night before each use.

The earlier NiMH had a rapid self discharge.
The more recent ones aren't so bad. It is
also possible your cells had a lot of
discharge cycles.

I hope you have a spare set of alkaline
batteries on board. I've had at least once
when I had a set of dead batteries, about
4 flight of stairs higher than my van. That
made for a long, long walk. And a lot of
self flagellation along the way.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Fri, 06 May 2016 06:46:04 +0100, Dev Null wrote:

On 5/5/2016 5:00 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:
On Thu, 5 May 2016 18:37:31 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I've been tempted by battery packs. However, I
also remember taking apart square Duracell 6 volt
lantern batteries. The one or two I've done have
D cells inside, with a cardboard spacer and some
metal to conduct electricity. I've also found they
usually have one dead cell, and three which work
fine. Lot to be said for loose cells.

Cut open a NiMH or NiCd C or D cell. You will find an AA cell inside.
In the GE's I cut open, tipped off by the identical Ahr ratings, the
AA cell even had the label on it just like the ones they sold as AA.

That's because you buy cheap flea-bay crap batteries.

Try some real full-capacity batteries from Amazon:

http://smile.amazon.com/Binford-6100/dp/B0040IAZ0S/

Ebay is better than Amazon. The feedback system actually works. And the page is way easier to use to find and compare things.

--
My neighbour asked if he could use my lawnmower. I told him of course he could, so long as he didn't take it out of my garden. -- Eric Morecambe
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Fri, 06 May 2016 19:35:55 +0100, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Per Stormin Mormon:
The good quality D size NiMH cells tempt me
to purchase. But, I don't use that much
equipment that has D cells. And, so far,
alkalines do the job.

My marine GPS uses AA NiMH cells and I find that the self-discharge rate
on them is quite high - high enough that I need to charge the batteries
the night before each use.

Everything should be using Li Ion. I have a head torch which runs for 24 HOURS at a decent brightness (about the same as one car dipped beam) on two cells. They're jumbo AA cells, a bit fatter and a bit longer. It also runs for 5 hours on full beam.

--
The wife suggested I get myself one of those penis enlargers, so I did.
She's 21, and her name's Kathy.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Fri, 06 May 2016 20:00:09 +0100, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 5/6/2016 2:35 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

My marine GPS uses AA NiMH cells and I find that the self-discharge rate
on them is quite high - high enough that I need to charge the batteries
the night before each use.

The earlier NiMH had a rapid self discharge.
The more recent ones aren't so bad. It is
also possible your cells had a lot of
discharge cycles.

I hope you have a spare set of alkaline
batteries on board. I've had at least once
when I had a set of dead batteries, about
4 flight of stairs higher than my van. That
made for a long, long walk. And a lot of
self flagellation along the way.

I have never known any rechargeable battery self discharge much unless it's very old.

--
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me. -- Emo Philips

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Fri, 06 May 2016 19:33:23 +0100, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Per Stormin Mormon:
But, I do like to keep the
options open. I can stop by the store and buy AA cells
easier than finding a lithium ion battery pack.

I have become partial to AA alkaline over Li for infrequently-used
devices.

Yes, Li offers exceptional shelf life.... but alkalines have a shelf
life of something like 5 years while my wife's phone (which she refuses
to use on any regular basis, but thinks the needs to have...) comes up
dead after a few months if it has not been charged.

I use alkaline for clocks and thermostats as they're dirt cheap. I use Li Ion (or NiMH if I have to for voltage) for everything else.

--
And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt his existence -- Bertrand Russell
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Fri, 06 May 2016 21:42:29 +0100, Winston_Smith wrote:

On Thu, 5 May 2016 18:37:31 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I can stop by the store and buy AA cells
easier than finding a lithium ion battery pack.

That used to be true here. Pretty much just outdoor stores at high
prices. Then they showed up at Wally World, and then they cleared them
out at half price. Deal. Scarf, scarf.

Two days ago I noticed them on the impulse buy endcap of the check
outs in a regular grocery chain (Fry's/Kroger) with the candy.

Who buys batteries in a store? Never heard of the internet?

--
A weekend wasted is not a wasted weekend.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Fri, 06 May 2016 21:24:46 +0100, Winston_Smith wrote:

On Fri, 06 May 2016 14:35:55 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per Stormin Mormon:

The good quality D size NiMH cells tempt me
to purchase. But, I don't use that much
equipment that has D cells. And, so far,
alkalines do the job.

My marine GPS uses AA NiMH cells and I find that the self-discharge rate
on them is quite high - high enough that I need to charge the batteries
the night before each use.

Look into Sanyo/Panasonic Enloops. Costco among other places. They
claim to retain 90% of their charge after 5 years and from my
experience they do.

Of course, if there is some monitor circuit in your device that's
always drawing current, they won't help.

With Li Ions, I've found Panasonic does 100% of what it says on the side. Samsung gives 80% of it's rating, and unbranded **** and things like Ultrafire and Trustfire give TWENTY percent.

--
I got the strangest recording when I called the phone company the other day.
It said, "You have been connected to the correct department on the first try. This is against company policy. Please hang up and redial."
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Fri, 06 May 2016 21:21:40 +0100, Winston_Smith wrote:

On Fri, 06 May 2016 18:26:40 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:
On Fri, 06 May 2016 13:23:18 +0100, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I've seen leaky nicads, but that was some
cells which were a decade or so old. I've
never had a NiMH leak.

I have, but it's just a small amount of white powder. Doesn't rust the contacts to hell.

Same experience here. I mostly noticed it on Fuji cells that had to be
pushing a decade old.

I've thrown out all the stuff of that era now; mostly their capacity
to hold a charge was getting small. Replaced the entire stock with
Sanyo/Panasonic Enloops. I'm very happy with them. The charger in the
latest package deal at Costco treats four cells individually. Gone are
the days of charging in pairs. That's useful since a lot of things now
use three or one cell.

Pair charging is fine, if you have one to be charged, just leave it by the charger or in the charger, until another is ready to go with it.

Mind you, pair charging means you're always over or undercharging one of them. Dunno which the chargers tend to do.

--
A hard-on doesn't count as personal growth.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Fri, 06 May 2016 21:17:34 +0100, Winston_Smith wrote:

On Fri, 06 May 2016 20:35:16 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:
On Fri, 06 May 2016 01:00:48 +0100, Winston_Smith wrote:

Cut open a NiMH or NiCd C or D cell. You will find an AA cell inside.
In the GE's I cut open, tipped off by the identical Ahr ratings, the
AA cell even had the label on it just like the ones they sold as AA.

Didn't you read the capacity on the side?

Yes. That's what got me curious. This was many years ago and nothing
else was on the market. NiCd were new. Buy them or buy nothing. It
gave fair performance for the money and when it finally died I opened
it up out of curiosity.

I'm sure there are honest D cells out there but even today, it's
common to find rechargable D, C, and AA of the same brand with
identical ratings. Hench I mention it to anyone that may not have
noticed.

I have adapters to use AA in my two surviving D applications so I'm
just about perfect in standardizing my battery needs at just AA an
AAA.

When NiCad first came out, the ones in the main shops were 0.5Ah AA, 1.2Ah C, and 1.2Ah D. So the D was obviously a C in a box. I had cycle lights that used two D cells, with a bulb, so they didn't last long if you used NiCads (which were much less capacity than alkalines). So I bought some 4Ah D from an electronics store. They were much heavier and lasted for ages. Took a bloody long time to charge with a 120mA charger though!

--
Computers are like air conditioners: They stop working when you open Windows.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/6/2016 3:37 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Fri, 06 May 2016 20:00:09 +0100, Stormin Mormon
My marine GPS uses AA NiMH cells and I find that the self-discharge rate
on them is quite high - high enough that I need to charge the batteries
the night before each use.

The earlier NiMH had a rapid self discharge.
The more recent ones aren't so bad. It is
also possible your cells had a lot of
discharge cycles.

I have never known any rechargeable battery self discharge much unless
it's very old.

The early nicads went down in a few weeks. My
other experience with rechargables was some
NiMH that I got at Walmart, that were a few
years old.

Of course, my drill batteries from Harbor
Freight (China made) only stay charged a
couple days. I usually have to charge them
the night before I use them.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Default Flashlight temptation / clock batteres

On 5/6/2016 3:47 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Fri, 06 May 2016 19:33:23 +0100, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I have become partial to AA alkaline over Li for infrequently-used
devices.

Yes, Li offers exceptional shelf life.... but alkalines have a shelf
life of something like 5 years.

I use alkaline for clocks and thermostats as they're dirt cheap. I use
Li Ion (or NiMH if I have to for voltage) for everything else.

Ah, clocks. I have several clocks at home. And
about 25 or 30 clocks at the church building. My
part of USA does daylight saving time, so we change
clocks two times a year. I give each of the clocks
a new alkaline AA cell each time change. Wrist watch
gets new CR-2016 cell, when the display goes blank.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Fri, 06 May 2016 22:41:40 +0100, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 5/6/2016 3:47 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Fri, 06 May 2016 19:33:23 +0100, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I have become partial to AA alkaline over Li for infrequently-used
devices.

Yes, Li offers exceptional shelf life.... but alkalines have a shelf
life of something like 5 years.

I use alkaline for clocks and thermostats as they're dirt cheap. I use
Li Ion (or NiMH if I have to for voltage) for everything else.

Ah, clocks. I have several clocks at home. And
about 25 or 30 clocks at the church building. My
part of USA does daylight saving time,

UK does that stupid thing too. Utterly pointless. You only need to adjust daylight for winter, in summer there is plenty, so just leave it at winter setting!

so we change
clocks two times a year. I give each of the clocks
a new alkaline AA cell each time change. Wrist watch
gets new CR-2016 cell, when the display goes blank.

Why do you need to change the batteries that often? Quartz clocks usually use an AA alkaline in about 3-4 years.

--
Please keep your hands off the secretary's reproducing equipment.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Fri, 06 May 2016 22:38:41 +0100, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 5/6/2016 3:37 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Fri, 06 May 2016 20:00:09 +0100, Stormin Mormon
My marine GPS uses AA NiMH cells and I find that the self-discharge rate
on them is quite high - high enough that I need to charge the batteries
the night before each use.

The earlier NiMH had a rapid self discharge.
The more recent ones aren't so bad. It is
also possible your cells had a lot of
discharge cycles.

I have never known any rechargeable battery self discharge much unless
it's very old.

The early nicads went down in a few weeks.

Nope, I bought NiCads when they first came out. There was no noticeable self discharge. Sometimes I'd have one in a clock etc because I didn't have an alkaline available, and it would run for 6 months.

My other experience with rechargables was some
NiMH that I got at Walmart, that were a few
years old.

Of course, my drill batteries from Harbor
Freight (China made) only stay charged a
couple days. I usually have to charge them
the night before I use them.

I buy batteries on Ebay, and test the capacity when I get them. Anything not up to standard I request a partial or full refund and always get it. The sellers don't like negative feedbacks.

--
Why do Italians hate Jehovah's Witnesses?
Italians hate ALL witnesses.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/6/2016 4:57 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
With Li Ions, I've found Panasonic does 100% of what it says on the
side. Samsung gives 80% of it's rating, and unbranded **** and things
like Ultrafire and Trustfire give TWENTY percent.

Now, that is the kind of real world
information we can use. Thank you.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/6/2016 6:12 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Fri, 06 May 2016 22:41:40 +0100, Stormin Mormon
Ah, clocks. I have several clocks at home. And
about 25 or 30 clocks at the church building. My
part of USA does daylight saving time,

UK does that stupid thing too. Utterly pointless. You only need to
adjust daylight for winter, in summer there is plenty, so just leave it
at winter setting!

CY: Said to be an old Indian quote "only white
man think cut foot off end of blanket and sew
onto other end of blanket make blanket longer"

so we change
clocks two times a year. I give each of the clocks
a new alkaline AA cell each time change. Wrist watch
gets new CR-2016 cell, when the display goes blank.

Why do you need to change the batteries that often? Quartz clocks
usually use an AA alkaline in about 3-4 years.

CY: The ones the church and I have, if I leave
the battery in, many of the clocks stop before
one year has passed. I've found it easier to use
new battery every daylight time change.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/6/2016 6:14 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Fri, 06 May 2016 22:38:41 +0100, Stormin Mormon

I have never known any rechargeable battery self discharge much unless
it's very old.

The early nicads went down in a few weeks.

Nope, I bought NiCads when they first came out. There was no noticeable
self discharge. Sometimes I'd have one in a clock etc because I didn't
have an alkaline available, and it would run for 6 months.

CY: Please do not tell me that I'm mistaken
when I tell you what has happened in my own
life.

My other experience with rechargables was some
NiMH that I got at Walmart, that were a few
years old.

Of course, my drill batteries from Harbor
Freight (China made) only stay charged a
couple days. I usually have to charge them
the night before I use them.

I buy batteries on Ebay, and test the capacity when I get them.
Anything not up to standard I request a partial or full refund and
always get it. The sellers don't like negative feedbacks.

CY: Sounds like you are a wise consumer.

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

PaxPerPoten wrote:

[...]

Yes, I know...It is called the plant that killed the South. Came from
Japan in the 1800's. Pennsylvanian was the first import planting. I am
seriously considering Boston Ivy for my use though. By the way I ate
Kudzu in many Vietnamese recipes as I imagine most military folks of
that Era have. Southerners should never starve to death with that stuff
around. Send some to the Mormon for his 2 year supply stash. Add some
seed to his BOB. ;-p Up side is that you don't have to weed it. It even
chokes out trees.

ages who mean to govern well, but *They mean to govern*. They promise to
be good masters, *but they mean to be masters*. Daniel Webster
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 5/6/2016 11:54 PM, PaxPerPoten wrote:
[...]

Now that winter is over, I've got to take my
vehicle to the car wash. Rinse off the road
salt, and clean it up a bit. Hmm. Well, today
is a good a day as any.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/6/2016 3:09 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:

On one hand you only have one cell in the new instead of two in the
old. On the other hand the new one can work down to .8 Volt. The
incandescent would have stopped producing any visible light long
before the voltage got that low; the joule thief circuit has gotten as
much out of one battery as two in the old style.

Well, you have milked this for 8 posts now. Time to move on. Perhaps
test it against EMP. Can you speak North Korean?

And now.... I've found a use for the flashlight! I've got these
damn run down AA batteries run down to much to be useful but still
enough charge to not throw away. So a single cell 18650 battery holder
with a spacer ( bolt that happens to be the right size) the test meter
which doubles for the jumper wires... and now the AA is running the LED,
the electrons are making photons now that won't wind up the city
landfill. It's kinda like not throwing out good food but feeding it to
the neighbor's dog.