Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair
PaxPerPoten PaxPerPoten is offline

Default Flashlight temptation

On 5/6/2016 8:11 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
PaxPerPoten wrote:
On 5/3/2016 3:07 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
PaxPerPoten wrote:
On 5/2/2016 10:41 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
PaxPerPoten wrote:

The way inflation is going...That scenario could very well happen
and soon for fixed income people. $10-$15 per hour minimum wage
won't cut it now, It certainly won't cut what is coming soon. I
suggest that the Mormon buy some seeds and start planning his
winter meals now!

I have a wide variety of seeds ... some in long-term storage in
the freezer , but a lot right here at my elbow - the ones for
planting in the next few days are on my desk . Mostly field peas
and squashes . Got the last of the 'maters in the ground today ,
peppers are doing nicely and the zukes and okra are coming up .
Salad greens didn't do well this year , weather was too weird .

I have a bunch of stuff in, but the ground is still a bit cold and
germination is slow. I put in some Round-up-ready sweetcorn. That
ends the seeding problem for that produce. I am scouting out some
English Ivy or Boston ivy to provide a good climber for shady
privacy screen. I think that can be raised from cuttings but not
sure. Maybe there is even more aggressive vines available for shady
area's?

Have you considered kudzu ?

We had Kudzu down by Sherman Texas for grazing. I wasn't aware that it
was a climbing vine. I don't think it can survive our Northern
winters. But I will look into it. Thank you.

Actually I was joking ... down in Mississippi and other rural areas in The
South it was planted to control erosion . Big mistake , that stuff grows so
fast you can watch it grow . Overtakes and kills most anything in it's way
and has actually taken down power and telephone lines from it's weight .

Yes, I know...It is called the plant that killed the South. Came from
Japan in the 1800's. Pennsylvanian was the first import planting. I am
seriously considering Boston Ivy for my use though. By the way I ate
Kudzu in many Vietnamese recipes as I imagine most military folks of
that Era have. Southerners should never starve to death with that stuff
around. Send some to the Mormon for his 2 year supply stash. Add some
seed to his BOB. ;-p Up side is that you don't have to weed it. It even
chokes out trees.

ages who mean to govern well, but *They mean to govern*. They promise to
be good masters, *but they mean to be masters*. Daniel Webster