Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Default Flashlight temptation (save the AA cells)

On 5/7/2016 11:50 AM, My 2 Cents wrote:
And now.... I've found a use for the flashlight! I've got these damn
run down AA batteries run down to much to be useful but still enough
charge to not throw away. So a single cell 18650 battery holder with a
spacer ( bolt that happens to be the right size) the test meter which
doubles for the jumper wires... and now the AA is running the LED, the
electrons are making photons now that won't wind up the city landfill.
It's kinda like not throwing out good food but feeding it to the
neighbor's dog.

Ebay has AA to D adapters, if you want to use the
Dolgen light. Also, there used to be a single AA
light with joule thief, that was supposed to run
AA cells down near to nothing.

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Infinit.../dp/B00062APHU

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Default Flashlight temptation (initial follow up report 3)

On 5/5/2016 7:37 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:
On Thu, 05 May 2016 20:43:24 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:
On Thu, 05 May 2016 20:28:17 +0100, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/5/2016 1:20 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Why would you think I or anyone else has the time to read every single
post?

1) Of course! Everyone who reads these lists
is fascinated by what I write, and studies
my writing in great detail.

I'm subscribed to 40 newsgroups.

So we should all tailor what we post, and the contents, to suit your
choice? Repeat and explain the same thing over and over so you can get
it when you decide to grab a small sample. Man, you must be real
special to expect that from the world at large.

LMFAO! the hypocrite speaks. It's only acceptable for everyone to tailor
to you and not the other way around. LMFAO!

You are either a man of many interests or addicted to usenet. Either
way, not our problem.

And lasts 12 hours?

From your tone, troll, seems possible too. Stormin' very clearly
stated that at the end of 12 hours the brightness was undiminished.
Far different than your reading that the total battery life was 12
hours.

ROFLMFAO! ...and those who oppose your views are trolls. Typical troll
response. LMFAO!
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Fri, 06 May 2016 00:37:22 +0100, Winston_Smith wrote:

On Thu, 05 May 2016 20:43:24 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:
On Thu, 05 May 2016 20:28:17 +0100, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/5/2016 1:20 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Why would you think I or anyone else has the time to read every single
post?

1) Of course! Everyone who reads these lists
is fascinated by what I write, and studies
my writing in great detail.

I'm subscribed to 40 newsgroups.

So we should all tailor what we post, and the contents, to suit your
choice? Repeat and explain the same thing over and over so you can get
it when you decide to grab a small sample. Man, you must be real
special to expect that from the world at large.

No, learn about leaving in context.

You are either a man of many interests or addicted to usenet. Either
way, not our problem.

And lasts 12 hours?

From your tone, troll, seems possible too. Stormin' very clearly
stated that at the end of 12 hours the brightness was undiminished.
Far different than your reading that the total battery life was 12
hours.

Again, you've deleted context, the conversation does not follow to this point.

--
"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Sat, 07 May 2016 17:29:25 +0100, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 5/7/2016 11:50 AM, My 2 Cents wrote:
And now.... I've found a use for the flashlight! I've got these damn
run down AA batteries run down to much to be useful but still enough
charge to not throw away. So a single cell 18650 battery holder with a
spacer ( bolt that happens to be the right size) the test meter which
doubles for the jumper wires... and now the AA is running the LED, the
electrons are making photons now that won't wind up the city landfill.
It's kinda like not throwing out good food but feeding it to the
neighbor's dog.

Ebay has AA to D adapters, if you want to use the
Dolgen light. Also, there used to be a single AA
light with joule thief, that was supposed to run
AA cells down near to nothing.

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Infinit.../dp/B00062APHU

There isn't much left in a battery when the light is too dim to use anyway, so thieving and extra 1% is pointless. Look at the discharge graphs, the voltage plummets suddenly at the end.

--
Earth is 98% full, please delete anyone you can.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/7/2016 1:20 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sat, 07 May 2016 17:29:25 +0100, Stormin Mormon
Ebay has AA to D adapters, if you want to use the
Dolgen light. Also, there used to be a single AA
light with joule thief, that was supposed to run
AA cells down near to nothing.

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Infinit.../dp/B00062APHU

There isn't much left in a battery when the light is too dim to use
anyway, so thieving and extra 1% is pointless. Look at the discharge
graphs, the voltage plummets suddenly at the end.

It appeals to people who grew up in the
shadow of the Great Depression, such as
myself. 1) Don't throw away anything that
might be needed later. 2)Refer to rule
one.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Sat, 07 May 2016 19:46:35 +0100, Winston_Smith wrote:

On Sat, 07 May 2016 18:20:44 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

There isn't much left in a battery when the light is too dim to use anyway, so thieving and extra 1% is pointless. Look at the discharge graphs, the voltage plummets suddenly at the end.

But at the same time, look at the light output vs voltage for the LED.
It plummets too. A very small boost in voltage gives a remarkable
increase in light. (It's logarithmic) The thing a joule thief really
does is control the LED current to keep light consistent. It boosts
the voltage as required to do that.

In fact, a white LED requires a lot more than 1.5 volts to even come
on dimly. If you want a single cell flashlight you have to supply a
voltage booster. It's almost free to let it jack up by another 0.1
volt to get a significant return at the end of battery life.

But you hardly notice some dimming. In fact by keeping it at full power, the battery will run out quicker.

--
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire. -- US Air Force training manual.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Sat, 07 May 2016 19:13:27 +0100, Winston_Smith wrote:

On Sat, 07 May 2016 18:19:40 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

Again, you've deleted context, the conversation does not follow to this point.

Where shall we start. Genesis chapter 1, verse 1 work for you

No, the bible is the biggest work of fiction ever.

or should we go back to Gilgamesh? Or perhaps send pictures of cave
drawings?

The world moves on. Everyone adds and changes. Much is abridged in the
daily process. This is not an historians club.

Context and history are not the same proportions at all. I leave in 5 levels of conversation, that's always enough to work out what people are talking about.

--
I learnt so much from my mistakes I think I'll make another.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Sat, 07 May 2016 19:04:44 +0100, Winston_Smith wrote:

On Sat, 7 May 2016 12:29:25 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Also, there used to be a single AA
light with joule thief, that was supposed to run
AA cells down near to nothing.
http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Infinit.../dp/B00062APHU

I bought a couple when they first came out. My year 2000 review:
http://web.newsguy.com/anozira/anozi...t/infinity.htm
Some in red, some in white. Excellent for their day. Most of them
still work. The problem is with the original model the battery
direction was counter intuitive and no markings. You had to read and
remember the package info. It doesn't hold a candle (oooh is that pun)
to modern lights. If they still make them, I assume they have updated
them as LEDs and circuits advanced.

More recently I bought the Fenix E12 single AA for the wilderness day
pack and the Fenix E05 single AAA for the everyday carry. Both are
excellent. OTOH there are a dozen quality brands out there now.

Note that it sometimes does better on NiMH, sometimes on alkaline.
I've standardize on NiMH enloops several years ago.

http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-e05...ight-2014-edt/
85 lumens for 60 minutes NiMH/45 minutes Alkaline
25 lumens for 4 ¼ hours, either cell type
8 lumens for 14 ½ hours NiMH/15 hours Alkaline

I find the 8 lumen setting enough to see to walk on a dark night.

I use the following for everything - a camping torch, a hillwalking torch, a cycling lamp, and for using around the house to find things that fell behind things:

A version of this with a headstrap, rated at 2500 lumens, but actually nothing like that, seems about the same brightness as one car headlamp. It consumes 1.25A or 0.25A at 3.7V, which works out the same as a 45W or 9W incandescent:
http://srv-live-03.lazada.com.ph/p/g...-1-product.jpg

Using two of these:
http://www.orbtronic.com/batteries-c...-made-in-japan

On the dim setting, it lasts 24 hours with two of the above cells (they're in parallel, so you can use one if you want).
On the bright setting (similar to a car headlamp), it lasts 5 hours.
The dim setting is more than adequate for cycling, when I was a kid I used to cycle with a 3V 0.5A =1.5W bulb!

--
My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Sat, 07 May 2016 18:40:34 +0100, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 5/7/2016 1:20 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sat, 07 May 2016 17:29:25 +0100, Stormin Mormon
Ebay has AA to D adapters, if you want to use the
Dolgen light. Also, there used to be a single AA
light with joule thief, that was supposed to run
AA cells down near to nothing.

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Infinit.../dp/B00062APHU

There isn't much left in a battery when the light is too dim to use
anyway, so thieving and extra 1% is pointless. Look at the discharge
graphs, the voltage plummets suddenly at the end.

It appeals to people who grew up in the
shadow of the Great Depression, such as
myself. 1) Don't throw away anything that
might be needed later. 2)Refer to rule
one.

If the batteries are rechargeable, you're gaining nothing. Except maybe taking only 19 batteries on your trip instead of 20.

I was born in 1975. I have masses of things that might be needed later in my attic and garage. And it is useful, I'm always needing a widget and finding one. Except half the time I have to buy one only to find I had one but not in the box I thought it was in.

--
Why do MPs drive Volvos?
Because they have safe seats.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

wrote:

No, the bible is the biggest work of fiction ever.

Context and history are not the same proportions at all. I leave in 5
levels of conversation, that's always enough to work out what people are
talking about.

But not for the self-righteous who believe in a book of allegories.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

wrote:

No, the bible is the biggest work of fiction ever.

Context and history are not the same proportions at all. I leave in 5
levels of conversation, that's always enough to work out what people are
talking about.

But not for the self-righteous who believe in a book of allegories.

As intelligence increases with each generation, religion decreases.

--
The squaw on the hippopotamus is equal to the sons of the squaws on the other two hides!
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Sat, 07 May 2016 21:06:14 +0100, Winston_Smith wrote:

On Sat, 7 May 2016 15:54:11 -0400, Meanie wrote:
On 5/7/2016 2:54 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sat, 07 May 2016 19:13:27 +0100, Winston_Smith wrote:

Snip made by meanie to let him morph what's been said restored:
Where shall we start. Genesis chapter 1, verse 1 work for you or
should we go back to Gilgamesh? Or perhaps send pictures of cave
drawings?

No, the bible is the biggest work of fiction ever.

Context and history are not the same proportions at all. I leave in 5
levels of conversation, that's always enough to work out what people are
talking about.

But not for the self-righteous who believe in a book of allegories.

You talking about Stormin' ? Or do you fancy cave people had books of
allegories?

Aren't 50% of yanks religious? I'm assuming a lot of you are American.

--
The squaw on the hippopotamus is equal to the sons of the squaws on the other two hides!
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Sat, 07 May 2016 21:36:25 +0100, Winston_Smith wrote:

On Sat, 07 May 2016 21:09:27 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

As intelligence increases with each generation, religion decreases.

Can you prove a decrease in religion results in an increase of
intelligence ? There seem to be examples to the contrary here.

I'd say the increase in intelligence causes the decrease in religion. Clever folk realise what they've been taught is a load of ****e.

--
"If you have voted after you are dead, there is a good strong possibility that you did something illegal." -- Kevin Shwedo, California DMV director
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Sat, 07 May 2016 21:34:27 +0100, Winston_Smith wrote:

On Sat, 07 May 2016 21:09:55 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Sat, 07 May 2016 21:06:14 +0100, Winston_Smith wrote:

On Sat, 7 May 2016 15:54:11 -0400, Meanie wrote:
On 5/7/2016 2:54 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sat, 07 May 2016 19:13:27 +0100, Winston_Smith wrote:

Snip made by meanie to let him morph what's been said restored:
Where shall we start. Genesis chapter 1, verse 1 work for you or
should we go back to Gilgamesh? Or perhaps send pictures of cave
drawings?

No, the bible is the biggest work of fiction ever.

Context and history are not the same proportions at all. I leave in 5
levels of conversation, that's always enough to work out what people are
talking about.

But not for the self-righteous who believe in a book of allegories.

You talking about Stormin' ? Or do you fancy cave people had books of
allegories?

Aren't 50% of yanks religious?

Assume your heart out. I don't know. Do you?

Pretty sure.

I'm assuming a lot of you are American.

Yes, I'm American. Yes, the alt.survival group is heavily American
with people from Australia, Canada, and a few other places.

What's your train of logic that assumes I'm in one particular half ?
Of your assumed demographics ?

I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about the group.

What's your train of logic that let's you morph flashlights into
seeing the one true path to the god or goddess of your choice ?

I'm an atheist. WTF are you on about?

--
Paddy and his wife are lying in bed and the neighbours' dog is barking like mad in the garden.
Paddy says "To hell with this!" and storms off.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/7/2016 5:09 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
What's your train of logic that let's you morph flashlights into
seeing the one true path to the god or goddess of your choice ?

I'm an atheist. WTF are you on about?

When an atheist sneezes, should I say
"nothing bless you"?

When you drop a rock on your foot, do
you scream "Nothing damn it!"?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Default Flashlight temptation (intelligence, religion correlation)

On 5/7/2016 5:08 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Can you prove a decrease in religion results in an increase of
intelligence ? There seem to be examples to the contrary here.

I'd say the increase in intelligence causes the decrease in religion.
Clever folk realise what they've been taught is a load of ****e.

Some people increase intelligence as they
increase religion. My church congregation
has a couple doctors, and a couple attorneys.
Those professions tend to continuing
education.

As for me, I've taken a couple classes at a
college, and do some other self improvement.

For example, I've been studying flashlights.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Sat, 07 May 2016 23:10:09 +0100, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 5/7/2016 5:09 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
What's your train of logic that let's you morph flashlights into
seeing the one true path to the god or goddess of your choice ?

I'm an atheist. WTF are you on about?

When an atheist sneezes, should I say
"nothing bless you"?

There is no need to say anything after a sneeze. It's simply your body expelling something jammed in your nose.

When you drop a rock on your foot, do
you scream "Nothing damn it!"?

No, I shout "****!"

Why would I want to believe in god just so I have a larger variety of swearwords at my disposal?

--
Boys who rub me up the wrong way come to a sticky end. -- Stephen Fry
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

There are many different types of intelligence. Common sense tells us not to believe ****ing unlikely things which have not one ounce of proof. Little girls believe in Santa Claus and tooth fairies, and you should have grown out of that by now. Do you have a problem dealing with reality, and need to comfort yourself that there's a higher power watching over you?

As for me, I've taken a couple classes at a
college, and do some other self improvement.

For example, I've been studying flashlights.

In the vain attempt of signalling god by Morse code? You nutter.

--
The planet Neptune has barely completed one orbit since it was discovered in 1846.
Pluto hasn't completed a full orbit since its discovery, and won't until March 23, 2178.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Default Flashlight temptation

On Wed, 4 May 2016 21:40:32 -0700, GweqI?? ?????? ? ??????? ??rdXiS
wrote:

It all started from Dubya invading Iraqi and Afghanistan to
overcompensate his 9/11, 2001 major ****up.

Oh..you mean that pesky 9/11 attack that was the result of Bubba
Clintons ****up.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

wrote:

It all started from Dubya invading Iraqi and Afghanistan to
overcompensate his 9/11, 2001 major ****up.

Oh..you mean that pesky 9/11 attack that was the result of Bubba
Clintons ****up.

I thought it had to do with 17 Saudis and
some air planes? Wonder if they had assault
flashlights?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Default Flashlight temptation / types of battery packs

On Fri, 06 May 2016 20:37:14 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Fri, 06 May 2016 20:00:09 +0100, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 5/6/2016 2:35 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

My marine GPS uses AA NiMH cells and I find that the self-discharge rate
on them is quite high - high enough that I need to charge the batteries
the night before each use.

The earlier NiMH had a rapid self discharge.
The more recent ones aren't so bad. It is
also possible your cells had a lot of
discharge cycles.

I hope you have a spare set of alkaline
batteries on board. I've had at least once
when I had a set of dead batteries, about
4 flight of stairs higher than my van. That
made for a long, long walk. And a lot of
self flagellation along the way.

I have never known any rechargeable battery self discharge much unless it's very old.

Nicads will do that.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Sun, 08 May 2016 00:12:41 +0100, Winston_Smith wrote:

On Sat, 07 May 2016 23:21:59 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

There are many different types of intelligence. Common sense
tells us not to believe ****ing unlikely things which have not
one ounce of proof.

Gravity is a silly idea. Everyone knows the Earth sucks.

If the Earth is a ball, why don't the people on the bottom fall off?

We DO know eather is real as is polywater, bad air causes mal-airia
and other things.

And that Einstein guy - speak about no feeling for common sense.

I'll assume you're being funny. Storming Moron would believe what you wrote.

--
Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitoes?
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Sun, 08 May 2016 00:18:22 +0100, Gunner Asch wrote:

On Fri, 06 May 2016 20:37:14 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Fri, 06 May 2016 20:00:09 +0100, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 5/6/2016 2:35 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

My marine GPS uses AA NiMH cells and I find that the self-discharge rate
on them is quite high - high enough that I need to charge the batteries
the night before each use.

The earlier NiMH had a rapid self discharge.
The more recent ones aren't so bad. It is
also possible your cells had a lot of
discharge cycles.

I hope you have a spare set of alkaline
batteries on board. I've had at least once
when I had a set of dead batteries, about
4 flight of stairs higher than my van. That
made for a long, long walk. And a lot of
self flagellation along the way.

I have never known any rechargeable battery self discharge much unless it's very old.

Nicads will do that.

Mine never did. I'd charge them then use them a couple of months later and they'd behave freshly charged.

--
War is god's way of teaching Americans geography -- Ambrose Bierce
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Default Flashlight temptation (initial follow up report 5)

On Sat, 07 May 2016 16:50:14 +0100, My 2 Cents wrote:

On 5/6/2016 3:09 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:

On one hand you only have one cell in the new instead of two in the
old. On the other hand the new one can work down to .8 Volt. The
incandescent would have stopped producing any visible light long
before the voltage got that low; the joule thief circuit has gotten as
much out of one battery as two in the old style.

Well, you have milked this for 8 posts now. Time to move on. Perhaps
test it against EMP. Can you speak North Korean?

And now.... I've found a use for the flashlight! I've got these
damn run down AA batteries run down to much to be useful but still
enough charge to not throw away. So a single cell 18650 battery holder
with a spacer ( bolt that happens to be the right size) the test meter
which doubles for the jumper wires... and now the AA is running the LED,
the electrons are making photons now that won't wind up the city
landfill. It's kinda like not throwing out good food but feeding it to
the neighbor's dog.

You sound as silly as me. I'm using up a 100W incandescent room bulb instead of replacing it with LEDs.

--
Why doesn't DOS ever say "EXCELLENT command or filename"?
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

wrote:

On 5/7/2016 5:09 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
What's your train of logic that let's you morph flashlights into
seeing the one true path to the god or goddess of your choice ?

I'm an atheist. WTF are you on about?

When an atheist sneezes, should I say
"nothing bless you"?

There is no need to say anything after a sneeze. It's simply your body
expelling something jammed in your nose.

When you drop a rock on your foot, do
you scream "Nothing damn it!"?

No, I shout "****!"

Why would I want to believe in god just so I have a larger variety of
swearwords at my disposal?

I wonder if religious swear words are tax deductible,
being church and all. Of course, it may be different
in UK versus USA.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/7/2016 6:21 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sat, 07 May 2016 23:13:13 +0100, Stormin Mormon
Some people increase intelligence as they
increase religion. My church congregation
has a couple doctors, and a couple attorneys.
Those professions tend to continuing
education.

There are many different types of intelligence. Common sense tells us
not to believe ****ing unlikely things which have not one ounce of
proof. Little girls believe in Santa Claus and tooth fairies, and you
should have grown out of that by now. Do you have a problem dealing
with reality, and need to comfort yourself that there's a higher power
watching over you?

As for me, I've taken a couple classes at a
college, and do some other self improvement.

For example, I've been studying flashlights.

In the vain attempt of signalling god by Morse code? You nutter.

I was atheist for 25 years, until I met the LDS / Mormon
missionaries. I felt the Spirit, and after a while I
did convert. I've been where you are (atheist) and
do not wish to go back. Maybe some day you'll have
the same experience.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Sun, 08 May 2016 00:47:14 +0100, Stormin Mormon wrote:

[...]

So you are susceptible to brainwashing.

--
After three years of marriage, Kim was still questioning her husband about his lurid past.
"C'mon, tell me," she asked for the thousandth time, "How many women have you slept with?"
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

wrote:

On 5/7/2016 5:09 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
What's your train of logic that let's you morph flashlights into
seeing the one true path to the god or goddess of your choice ?

I'm an atheist. WTF are you on about?

When an atheist sneezes, should I say
"nothing bless you"?

There is no need to say anything after a sneeze. It's simply your body
expelling something jammed in your nose.

When you drop a rock on your foot, do
you scream "Nothing damn it!"?

No, I shout "****!"

Why would I want to believe in god just so I have a larger variety of
swearwords at my disposal?

I wonder if religious swear words are tax deductible,
being church and all. Of course, it may be different
in UK versus USA.

It is true that churches get away with far too much. They're a waste of space, a useful building could be put there.

--
During training exercises, the lieutenant driving down a muddy back road encountered another car stuck in the mud with a red faced colonel at the wheel. "Your jeep stuck, sir?" asked the lieutenant as he pulled alongside.
"Nope," replied the colonel, coming over and handing him the keys, "*Yours* is."
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/7/2016 7:49 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sun, 08 May 2016 00:43:02 +0100, Stormin Mormon

I wonder if religious swear words are tax deductible,
being church and all. Of course, it may be different
in UK versus USA.

It is true that churches get away with far too much. They're a waste of
space, a useful building could be put there.

What do you consider useful? Laundry machines,
or maybe a used appliance store?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/7/2016 7:48 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sun, 08 May 2016 00:47:14 +0100, Stormin Mormon

I was atheist for 25 years, until I met the LDS / Mormon
missionaries. I felt the Spirit, and after a while I
did convert. I've been where you are (atheist) and
do not wish to go back. Maybe some day you'll have
the same experience.

So you are susceptible to brainwashing.

I'm not brainwashed. My leaders told me to say that
to anyone who questions.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/7/2016 6:25 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

After my great grandmother died, we found a ball of string labeled,
"string to short to do anything with". I suppose I inherited some of
those genes.
Here's another thing I don't have... but if I see one at the Dollar
Tree I'll have to have it.
https://www.dollartree.com/Emergency...0905/index.pro
Just to take apart and see what's inside.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

My 2 Cents wrote on 5/7/2016 5:38 PM:
On 5/7/2016 6:25 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

After my great grandmother died, we found a ball of string labeled,
"string to short to do anything with". I suppose I inherited some of
those genes.
Here's another thing I don't have... but if I see one at the Dollar
Tree I'll have to have it.
https://www.dollartree.com/Emergency...0905/index.pro
Just to take apart and see what's inside.

That is essentially a battery holder. Four rechargeable AA batteries
will give you close to 5V to charge your devices through the built-in
USB socket.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Default Flashlight temptation (cell phone chargers)

On 5/7/2016 8:38 PM, My 2 Cents wrote:
Here's another thing I don't have... but if I see one at the Dollar
Tree I'll have to have it.
https://www.dollartree.com/Emergency...0905/index.pro
Just to take apart and see what's inside.

Thats a nice find. I've got emergency
charger or two, but these might go into
bug out bags, if I can find them. And
get them to work.

Thank you.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Sat, 07 May 2016 16:18:22 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Fri, 06 May 2016 20:37:14 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Fri, 06 May 2016 20:00:09 +0100, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 5/6/2016 2:35 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

My marine GPS uses AA NiMH cells and I find that the self-discharge rate
on them is quite high - high enough that I need to charge the batteries
the night before each use.

The earlier NiMH had a rapid self discharge.
The more recent ones aren't so bad. It is
also possible your cells had a lot of
discharge cycles.

I hope you have a spare set of alkaline
batteries on board. I've had at least once
when I had a set of dead batteries, about
4 flight of stairs higher than my van. That
made for a long, long walk. And a lot of
self flagellation along the way.

I have never known any rechargeable battery self discharge much unless it's very old.

Nicads will do that.

Co will NiMH. And so will certain lead acids.
Even some lithiums go dead sitting.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/7/2016 8:08 PM, ZUMzX *ighty Wannabe ejqpQ wrote:
My 2 Cents wrote on 5/7/2016 5:38 PM:
On 5/7/2016 6:25 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

After my great grandmother died, we found a ball of string labeled,
"string to short to do anything with". I suppose I inherited some of
those genes.
Here's another thing I don't have... but if I see one at the Dollar
Tree I'll have to have it.
https://www.dollartree.com/Emergency...0905/index.pro

Just to take apart and see what's inside.

That is essentially a battery holder. Four rechargeable AA batteries
will give you close to 5V to charge your devices through the built-in
USB socket.

only two AA batteries... so it must boost the voltage up?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mraqng4303Y

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/7/2016 1:54 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

No, the bible is the biggest work of fiction ever.

Which parts are fiction?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

wrote:

No, the bible is the biggest work of fiction ever.

Context and history are not the same proportions at all. I leave in 5
levels of conversation, that's always enough to work out what people are
talking about.

But not for the self-righteous who believe in a book of allegories.

What do you have against allegories?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/7/2016 8:11 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/7/2016 8:38 PM, My 2 Cents wrote:
Here's another thing I don't have... but if I see one at the Dollar
Tree I'll have to have it.
https://www.dollartree.com/Emergency...0905/index.pro

Just to take apart and see what's inside.

Thats a nice find. I've got emergency
charger or two, but these might go into
bug out bags, if I can find them. And
get them to work.

Thank you.

But wait!, there's more...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixa0rJExKEs

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

wrote:

On Sat, 07 May 2016 21:09:27 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

As intelligence increases with each generation, religion decreases.

Can you prove a decrease in religion results in an increase of
intelligence ? There seem to be examples to the contrary here.

I'd say the increase in intelligence causes the decrease in religion.
Clever folk realise what they've been taught is a load of ****e.

Religion is only the outward expression of a desire or acknowledgement
that a greater power exists beyond our own selves.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

wrote:

On 5/7/2016 5:08 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Can you prove a decrease in religion results in an increase of
intelligence ? There seem to be examples to the contrary here.

I'd say the increase in intelligence causes the decrease in religion.
Clever folk realise what they've been taught is a load of ****e.

Some people increase intelligence as they
increase religion. My church congregation
has a couple doctors, and a couple attorneys.
Those professions tend to continuing
education.

There are many different types of intelligence. Common sense tells us
not to believe ****ing unlikely things which have not one ounce of
proof.

Many people believe that it is sensible to conclude that based on
everything we know about our world and the universe that it's likely
that something greater than chance was involved in it's creation.
Since, for example, with all the complexities involved in how the human
body works, what would it take to create something that had such complex
systems that had to work together so it could function as a human?

Logically, it's an intelligent conclusion to seek out what sort of
higher power could have created everything.

--
Maggie