Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Default Flashlight temptation (initial follow up report 3)

On 11/05/2016 10:20, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 11 May 2016 09:16:35 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 10/05/2016 22:29, T wrote:
On 05/10/2016 02:10 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 10 May 2016 22:05:56 +0100, T wrote:

On 05/10/2016 01:41 PM, Muggles wrote:
I love to discuss quantum physics in relation to outer space in
discussions about belief in God. How is time measured in space, how do
we know time has always been constant there since many people like to
put a number on the age of the universe and use that as evidence to
estimate the age of the Earth.

I've had some VERY interesting discussions like that!

Hi Muggles,

Something I have found interesting is Einstein's take on
quantum physics. He did not believe it to be correct
because "God is not random". And indeed the theory
which is starting to replace quantum physics, called
String Theory, is not random.

I wonder how many more things Einstein could have discovered if he
wasn't hampered by religion?

Einstein was driven by "How did he do it". So I have to say,
no. He probably would have just been mediocre.

"hampered by religion"? You lead an insular life.

Often times, those that say they don't believe in religion,
get caught up in religions by other names, such a secular humanism,
atheism, Liberalism, global warming (which is not science, but religoun).

Liberalism, which tells you what you can eat, what you can
wear, who you can speak with, what you can drive, yada, yada,
yada, is far more restrictive than Christianity. Hell,
Liberalism even tells you what you can think (political
correctness).

A lot of atheists are very religious people.

Oh dear, you are so deluded that you even change the meaning of words
to suit yourself.

Atheism
noun
"a disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods".

"Athiesm, just another faith based religious belief"

What religious faith is it then?

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 11/05/2016 10:21, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 11 May 2016 09:44:50 +0100, Bod wrote:

And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided
the light from the darkness.

And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called
Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

And that was the beginning of science. The universe was
a creation of God and what we observed around us was nature,
not the work of petty human like gods and magic.

Glory be to God!
-T

String theory is really w-e-i-r-d.

I love it when I get to discuss the existence of God, but many people
just get angry or frustrated and won't actually "discuss" anything.

Does a person base their belief system on "what we know to be true"?
Well, "what we know to be true" can be challenged, and some people see
that sort of a challenge as heretical in nature because mankind is their
god. How dare I challenge the wisdom of learned men! Who am I that I
would even try? I do get that opportunity every now and then, though.

Do you discuss your beliefs with any Catholic pervert Priests?

Did you discuss your beliefs with any atheist perverts?

You do know those perverts come in all flavors..right? Of course you
do...you have likely tasted more than a few.

Just like religion then, there are hundreds of flavours. Each religion
*believes* that their religion/ god is the true religion or god.
Which flavour is the correct one?

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 11/05/2016 10:22, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 11 May 2016 09:03:05 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 10/05/2016 21:41, Muggles wrote:
On 5/10/2016 2:35 PM, T wrote:
On 05/08/2016 12:26 PM, Muggles wrote:
Who designed the human nervous system? What sort of intelligence would
it take to get it to function correctly?

Hi Muggles,

I sometimes refer to God as the Master Bioengineer. :-)

My unscientific observation is that a lot of intelligent
folks do believe in God. Einstein's saying as "How did
he do it?" The more you realize you don't know, the
more humble you become and the more you realize their is
someone's hand in all this.

I love to discuss quantum physics in relation to outer space in
discussions about belief in God. How is time measured in space, how do
we know time has always been constant there since many people like to
put a number on the age of the universe and use that as evidence to
estimate the age of the Earth.

I've had some VERY interesting discussions like that!

First sentence of the Nicene Creed:
"We believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of
heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible."

Wisdom of Sirach, chapter 38, v6, KJV:
And he hath given men skill, that he might be
honoured in his marvellous works.

Glory be to God!
-T

Amen, T.

It also helps when you have a personal relationship with Jesus
(God) and one of his saints. Can we say "voices in our heads?"
:-)

...a constant discussion and conversation, I'd say.

Voices in the head is a sign of madness.

Tell that to a telepath.

I'd rather talk to a sane person thankyou.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 11/05/2016 10:23, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 11 May 2016 09:12:00 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 10/05/2016 22:05, T wrote:
On 05/10/2016 01:41 PM, Muggles wrote:
I love to discuss quantum physics in relation to outer space in
discussions about belief in God. How is time measured in space, how do
we know time has always been constant there since many people like to
put a number on the age of the universe and use that as evidence to
estimate the age of the Earth.

I've had some VERY interesting discussions like that!

Hi Muggles,

Something I have found interesting is Einstein's take on
quantum physics. He did not believe it to be correct
because "God is not random". And indeed the theory
which is starting to replace quantum physics, called
String Theory, is not random.

Problem with quantum physics is that it is not unified,
meaning it does not incorporate gravity in its model.
String theory does.

We have a saying in our church. "Do not seek the truth
in science, for today's truths are always tomorrow's
falsehoods. But instead, seek the truth in Jesus Christ,
who is the way, the truth, and the light."

One of my most fascinating courses in college was the
history of science. It was all about tomorrow's
falsehoods. Caloric was a huge one.

My personal belief is that when the eight day comes
and all is revealed, that all our humanity's collective
knowledge and all our machines, we will have not scratched
one cell in God's finger.

I also think that ever since the first human eye laid
sight on the first star in the sky, that we were meant to
go there. I look forward to the light barrier being
broken. I will probably have to watch that happen from
heaven.

And we have Saint Moses to thank for science:

Genius 1, 1-5 KJV
In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was
upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved
upon the face of the waters.

And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided
the light from the darkness.

And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called
Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

And that was the beginning of science. The universe was
a creation of God and what we observed around us was nature,
not the work of petty human like gods and magic.

Glory be to God!
-T

String theory is really w-e-i-r-d.

Indeed, very similar to many religions, like Scientology/ Jehovah
Witlesses/ Moony loonies and Morons (sorry....Mormons, etc.

And of course to many political beliefs

Indeed.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 11/05/2016 10:24, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 11 May 2016 08:52:17 +0100, Bod wrote:

And looking around you, you see God's hand in everything.

As I look around *me*, I see many different religions all guessing that
their particular strain is the *only* religion.

Many? I see only a couple, Islam being the primary one.

Or did you somehow forget about the Reformation way back in the 1600s?

Gunner

What's that got to do with it? It simply highlighted the confusion of
religious beliefs. A form of cherry picking.
Wind back thousands of years and people believed that the Sun was the
real god. Some thought it was the moon.
Religious guesswork (cherry picking) has been going on since the world
evolved.

--
Bod

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Wed, 11 May 2016 10:32:03 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 11/05/2016 10:18, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 11 May 2016 09:32:59 +0100, Bod wrote:

I wonder how many more things Einstein could have discovered if he
wasn't hampered by religion?

Einstein was driven by "How did he do it". So I have to say,
no. He probably would have just been mediocre.

"hampered by religion"? You lead an insular life.

Often times, those that say they don't believe in religion,
get caught up in religions by other names, such a secular humanism,
atheism, Liberalism, global warming (which is not science, but religoun).

Liberalism, which tells you what you can eat, what you can
wear, who you can speak with, what you can drive, yada, yada,
yada, is far more restrictive than Christianity. Hell,
Liberalism even tells you what you can think (political
correctness).

A lot of atheists are very religious people.

More dogmatically narrow minded than the most devout Jew, Muslim, or
southern Baptist Christian, by far.

Erm! I was bullied into going to church as a kid by a scarey Vicar.
Many Irish Catholics were also bullied and brainwashed to go to church.
Cross the line and you got kneecapped or tarred and feathered.
What lovely religious people.

Odd...I was raised Catholic, before I became Buddhist..and dont recall
any kneecappings or tar and feathers. Is this an English version of
some religion? Probably..afterall...you lads do do things rather
****ed up.

Gunner

Er, this was the *Irish*, *not* the English. The Irish Catholic IRA even
bombed several of our English cities causing death and carnage.
*That's* religion for you.

Thats odd..I thought the Inquistion and the Reformaton were largely
English hatred against other religions..particularly the Jews...few of
whom survived.

So you are trimming the data again eh? Typical of your lot

Gunner
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Wed, 11 May 2016 10:34:18 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 11/05/2016 10:19, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 11 May 2016 09:47:36 +0100, Bod wrote:

I wonder how many more things Einstein could have discovered if he
wasn't hampered by religion?

Einstein was driven by "How did he do it". So I have to say,
no. He probably would have just been mediocre.

"hampered by religion"? You lead an insular life.

Often times, those that say they don't believe in religion,
get caught up in religions by other names, such a secular humanism,
atheism, Liberalism, global warming (which is not science, but religoun).

Liberalism, which tells you what you can eat, what you can
wear, who you can speak with, what you can drive, yada, yada,
yada, is far more restrictive than Christianity. Hell,
Liberalism even tells you what you can think (political
correctness).

A lot of atheists are very religious people.

Many good points!

*Atheism* means *No religious beliefs*.
Are you that desperate that you have to change the meanings of words?

Absolutely incorrect. Your denial is rather pathetic

"Atheism, just another faith based religious belief"

Gunner

Ok, what religion do I believe in?
You *can't* say Atheism, because the very word is self explanatory, ie;
Non believer in ANY religion. Please elucidate?

You practice the faith of Atheism of course. A sickness that murdered
270 million people in the past 100 yrs

The belief...without proof..that your religious views are somehow
better and more holy than anyone elses.

Its a religion to you and your fellows..one you feel the need to
preach whenever possible. Even I, a good Buddhist...seldom mention my
beliefs. As its simply not germain to anything on these news groups.

Yet you continue to preach it. Think you are going to be a better
person for these actions? Hummm?

Gunner
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 10/05/2016 22:29, T wrote:
[...]

Atheism of course. One based on zero proof, yet you continue to
preach it like a $2 whiskey saleman out of a medicine wagon.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Wed, 11 May 2016 10:41:42 +0100, Bod wrote:

[...]

A very good question indeed and one neither of us is qualified to
answer. Yet you continue to try to put yours above everyone elses.

Bigotry like yours...Id thought it was long past.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/10/2016 2:35 PM, T wrote:
[...]

The few telepaths Ive met were rather sane...though hated to be around
groups of people. Understandable of course.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Wed, 11 May 2016 11:15:54 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 11/05/2016 10:24, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 11 May 2016 08:52:17 +0100, Bod wrote:

And looking around you, you see God's hand in everything.

As I look around *me*, I see many different religions all guessing that
their particular strain is the *only* religion.

Many? I see only a couple, Islam being the primary one.

Or did you somehow forget about the Reformation way back in the 1600s?

Gunner

What's that got to do with it? It simply highlighted the confusion of
religious beliefs. A form of cherry picking.

Yet your widespread statements seem to cover ALL religions

Wind back thousands of years and people believed that the Sun was the
real god. Some thought it was the moon.
Religious guesswork (cherry picking) has been going on since the world
evolved.

Yes it has. And you are as guilty of it as any.

Gunner
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 3:12:05 AM UTC-5, Bod wrote:
On 10/05/2016 22:05, T wrote:
[...]

I'm curious about something Bod. Did a minister or some overly religious person hurt you at some point in your life? I was tortured by nuns when I was a small boy but I don't hate religious people. In fact, I've done a lot of work for churches not because I share their faith but because the people there are nice folks. I'm not one of the faithful and never dislike anyone of faith unless they give me a reason to. Such as telling me they will kill me if I don't convert. Now I have another question for you. Can you tell me of any atheist groups of people who show up after a disaster to help people in need? o_O

[8!{} Uncle Wicked Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 11/05/2016 10:26, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 11 May 2016 10:15:21 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 11/05/2016 09:43, T wrote:
On 05/11/2016 12:52 AM, Bod wrote:

There is no evidence of a greater power.

Who designed the human nervous system? What sort of intelligence would
it take to get it to function correctly?

If there was one, there would be evidence,

There is evidence, but even evidence is subject to your individual
belief system.

and if
we have to worship it, he would ask for the worship.

Would you want to have to ask, or would you want such adoration given
freely to you?

And looking around you, you see God's hand in everything.

As I look around *me*, I see many different religions all guessing that
their particular strain is the *only* religion. I also see that religion
in the UK is dying out except for the primitive Muslim religions. It's
true that as people get more informed and intelligent that they are
realising how misguided they have been.
It wasn't that long ago that people were worshipping the Moon/ the Sun
and many other objects as their god. Even today there are Scientologist
idiots believing in Aliens etc.
If you read the Bible or the Koran, you'll see that they are both
contradictory all the way through and the *believers* cherry pick what
they want to hear.

Oh brother. People fall away when they get affluent.

Cherry pick. Maybe. Christians are always in a state of
spiritual warfare. The Holy Spirit convicts us and eventually
we get better at following Jesus teachings.

Please do not lump the Koran and the Bible together. One
teaches hatred and violence to your neighbor, the other
teaches tolerance and love for your neighbor.

Hmm! "an eye for an eye". What a lovely sentiment.
Which of those two categories does that quote come from?
Surely you're not cherry picking!!? Are you?

Actually..he isnt. Calls for revenge are very..very limited in the
OLD Testement...yet are written in hundreds of Sutras in the Quoran

Care to provide cites for any in the New Testement?

Take as much space as necessary

Gunner

I have an old Bible, but rarely read it and I am no expert so I couldn't
quote more than a few.
I started to read some babble in the Bible that was a pageful
of someone begatting someone else then someone else begatting another
person.
I ended up with a headache and couldn't make sense of the tosh.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 11/05/2016 12:39, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

So it was religious hatred then. Just as I thought.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 11/05/2016 12:43, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

I preach no religion, all I'm saying is that one doesn't have to believe
in a sky fairy to be a good person.
When a person dies, they, erm..die and return back to Carbon etc.
End of.

--
Bod

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 11/05/2016 12:46, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

So you admit that *you* don't even know for sure who's religion is the
right one, hmmm.
You worship something just by guessing.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/10/2016 2:35 PM, T wrote:
[...]

It doesn't surprise me at all that you've spoken to Telepaths.
I class Telepathy/Astrology and Religion in the same category as
snake oil.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 11/05/2016 12:48, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

I don't preach, I give you my honest opinion, but I base it on reality
*not* a faith.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Certainly:

Many of your Atheist countrymen do just that:

http://atheists.org/relief

http://www.atheistvolunteers.org

There are many more.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 9:11:32 AM UTC-5, Bod wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the information, I've just never heard of them. I'm in Alabamastan and the only place one of them might be found might be on a college campus. This place is infested with my Southern Baptist cousins and they have guns. Hey Charlie! I saw an atheist, get yer gun! ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Evil Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Bod wrote:

I have an old Bible, but rarely read it and I am no expert so I couldn't
quote more than a few.
I started to read some babble in the Bible that was a pageful
of someone begatting someone else then someone else begatting another
person.
I ended up with a headache and couldn't make sense of the tosh.

When I was a kid, I was a real snot sometimes so I got grounded until I
had read the entire bible. (I was raised catholic) It took me a month.
I actually enjoyed reading the bible and found it to be a interesting
book of stories with morals. For the record, I am a non-spiritual
skeptic. I don't care what label others may have for me, atheist or
whatever. I allow for the possibility (however remote) that I am
misguided and something/someone out there does exist as a god(s). I
also accept that while religion/spirituality may not be my thing, it
works well for alot of folks and helps them be better people in the
world. I don't see anything wrong with that. There are of course some
extremists, but the problem is in their disturbed psyche.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 9:36:25 AM UTC-5, misanthrope wrote:
Bod wrote:

[...]

I was a little kid and couldn't understand why I was being abused by the psychotic nuns like Sister Godzilla when I questioned what they were teaching me about religion. The nuns hated me and my brother and were convinced we were the spawn of Satan because we dared question what they were telling us.. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Satanic Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 11/05/2016 15:36, misanthrope wrote:
Bod wrote:

[...]

Understood and I agree that the Bible has good stories, but that's all
it is to me, just full of fictional stories.

I am now practising trying to walk on water. I've heard that some
mythical Magician managed it once upon a time. Not having much luck, but
a great story all the same.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Wed, 11 May 2016 14:48:14 +0100, Bod wrote:

[...]

Indeed it was. One English religion hated the Jews. The Jews of
course being very religious and not killing anyone. So its probably
the combination of English and a religion that turned it so brutal.
The Brits being well known thugs and all...shrug

Gunner

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Wed, 11 May 2016 14:52:00 +0100, Bod wrote:

beliefs. As its simply not germain to anything on these news groups.

Yet you continue to preach it. Think you are going to be a better
person for these actions? Hummm?

Gunner

I preach no religion, all I'm saying is that one doesn't have to believe
in a sky fairy to be a good person.

Sure you do. You keep preaching Atheism. One of the more foul and
murderous religions of all times.

When a person dies, they, erm..die and return back to Carbon etc.
End of.

The body does indeed. Personally, Ive had many trips around the
Cosmic Wheel. and have been born, lived and died multiple times.
Perhaps in some future..Ill get it right and achieve Nirvana. Or not.
Shrug

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Wed, 11 May 2016 14:56:15 +0100, Bod wrote:

[...]

I worship nothing. I, like you, have faith...faith that our beliefs
are among the right ones. I take it you know nothing of Buddhism, do
you?

My Eightfold Path is just one of the correct paths, not the only one.

Gunner
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/10/2016 2:35 PM, T wrote:
[...]

ignorance does tend to be one of your strongest traits...shrug.

Gunner
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bod wrote:

[...]

This might work for you. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-wxnID2q4A

[8~{} Uncle Water Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 11/05/2016 16:24, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Oh dear, you're dragging the past up again.
The UK is very tolerant of Jews and we are in no way "thugs".
I speak as I find and I've worked for many Jews in their own homes and
all were lovely kind people. A few even insisted that I stay for dinner.

--
Bod

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 11/05/2016 09:43, T wrote:
[...]

So you are simply parrotting you have heard from others then. That is
hardly surprising. Even I have read the Bible (Old and New
Testament) the Tibetian Book of the Dead, the Q'uran, the Book of
Tears, and so on and so forth, right along with the Pali Canon of my
chosen way of life.

And I make NO grand prononcements that my "religion" is the only one
or the correct one. How can it be? The paths are more in number than
the stars in the sky.

Gunner
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Wed, 11 May 2016 09:36:19 -0500, misanthrope
wrote:

Bod wrote:

[...]

Well stated. The extremists can be religious ones, or simply
Democrats. Well stated!

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Bod wrote:

[...]

"all it is to me"

Thats very nice. Yet you were the same person that was proclaiming
others who believe differently than you to be insane. So those good
stories obviously mean nothing to you visa vis leading a better life.

I am now practising trying to walk on water. I've heard that some
mythical Magician managed it once upon a time. Not having much luck, but
a great story all the same.

Best of luck to you. Ive done it many times while I was out ice
fishing. Ive seen it done for short distances while the water was
liquid, but I never could run that fast. Nor had much interest in
trying however.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Wed, 11 May 2016 15:04:30 +0100, Bod wrote:

[...]

Actually..you do preach here. And I do not recall anyone asking for
your opinion on religion. So you did come in here and start preaching
your religion. As for how YOU View something...that neither makes
it true, nor false. Im still waiting for your Proof that there are no
god(s). Trot it out, feel free to use all the white space necessary.

Gunner
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 11/05/2016 16:32, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

If I were forced at gunpoint to choose a religion, then Buddhism is what
I would choose out of them all and yes I and my wife were invited to a
ceremony in the house that we sold to them. There were real Buddhist
monks dressed in their robes an all. We all had to hold on to an
unbroken daisy chain of string whilst the monks chanted.
Very nice people.
I have also attended many C of E church services and tried hard to feel
the force (as it were), but the service just made me feel cold.
Both religions left me with the feeling that I'd witnessed pure bull****.
I sang in a church choir for 2 years, but only because I liked singing
in choirs.
Nice atmosphere and plush decor etc in churches though.

--
Bod

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/10/2016 2:35 PM, T wrote:
[...]

Read of my religious experiences in one of my recent posts, oh
presumptious one.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bod wrote:

[...]

Ah! so that's how Jesus did it, by using non-newtonian fluid.
He was cleverer than I thought :-)

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/11/2016 2:52 AM, Bod wrote:

[...]

I don't think any individual religion has everything correct, but I do
think many religions make an attempt to acknowledge that there is a
greater power involved in our existence, which, in turn, acknowledges
that mankind is not equivalent to being a god.

IMO, there is too much evidence that it took intelligence to create
everything we see around us.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 11/05/2016 09:43, T wrote:
[...]

Ok, so you follow a religion blindly *knowing* that you *don't* know.
In other words, you are guessing.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Bod wrote:

[...]

I think you'd have to run at 65mph to achieve walking on water.

--
Bod