Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Default Flashlight temptation (initial follow up report 2)

On 5/4/2016 7:22 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I had a weak moment, today. Went and bought one. The
one battery worked, the light shines a very blue,
poorly focussed spot on the ceiling. It's about
twilight, so it's a pretty fair test of light output.
I plan to do some testing after dark. Also check amp
draw, battery life, and a few things like that.

So far, with the initial moment or two of testing, it
appears to be a reasonable value.

Package says it's an Open Trails brand one LED
light with 1 D battery. Made in China (why would
that surprise anyone?) Distributed by
Dolgencorp. Product Code EP-251.

The bulb is more like a Cree emitter than LED.
Square base, not the round top bulb like the HF
free lights.

The light is slightly brighter than a Harbor
Freight free 9 LED light. The light is a
little whiter than the HF light. It sure would
be nice if the beam was whiter. But, it is
still useful.

I tried the light in totally dark rooms. Sure is
better than being in the dark. I also tried the
light down the hall of my trailer. It is plenty
bright enough to see if there was a burglar.

The closed end of the light has a swing out loop,
for hanging. Sure enough, the light hangs nicely
by the loop. Hanging on a nail, it would be good
resource for power cuts.

One of these days, I'll check the amp draw, and
do a life test on the provided battery. And what
ever other tests. Might take it outdoors, see
how far the beam reaches.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Default Flashlight temptation

On 05/04/2016 05:17 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:
Then there is that pesky "us".

2 I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of
Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Exodus 20:2-3

There are plenty of other Gods to go around. The Jewish tribal God just
wants His people to keep him first. I have nothing against tribal gods;
that just isn't my tribe. If the geneticist theories are correct my
ancestors were romping and stomping in northern Europe long before Moses
spent 40 years wandering in circles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 4:07:33 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 4 May 2016 13:34:19 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

When was the last time you heard of a Mormon beheading a non believing Infidel?

_Donner Party_ ? Oh wait. They were just hungry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donner_Party

I should have written,"In this and the last century?" Centuries ago, Protestants burned witches and Catholics tortured Jews. Catholics, Mormons and Protestants have grown up and become somewhat civilized. Muslims, not so much. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Savage Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 5:35:53 PM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:
On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 3:18:05 PM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 10:13:48 AM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:

You're extremely laughable when shook...heehee!

Well bless you heart Booby V. Your disconnect with reality is both tragic and amusing to me. You continue to exhibit childish behavior but I won't excoriate you for it. I can only feel sorry for you. Perhaps with the right therapy, you could become closer to what a normal human being should be. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Sympathetic Monster

Interesting that you attempt the "high road". And I wonder who else is childish around here...could it be YOU?

Oh my goodness Booby V! Keep trying, you may grow up someday. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Adult Monster
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 5/5/2016 1:04 AM, PaxPerPoten wrote:

Hillary and Bill should face the Death sentence for their many murders
and assorted high crimes. Hillary should face the Guillotine for her
traitorous acts in Benghazi and the open Email servers that leaked
thousands of America's secrets to our enemies.

I sense that politicians and attorneys are some what
in the same bed with each other, now days. Hard to
find attorney to prosecute a politician. The size,
scope, and range of outrage these days is a bit
extreme. Makes me wonder when any thing will change?
Perhaps after the next revolution? When the violence
starts, you can find me hiding under the bed. I'm a
yellow bellied coward to the core.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 May 2016 21:24:25 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 05/04/2016 05:17 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:
Then there is that pesky "us".

2 I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of
Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

something I heard the other night is that this is BS. Never was an Exodus
from Egypt.

3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Exodus 20:2-3

There are plenty of other Gods to go around. The Jewish tribal God just
wants His people to keep him first. I have nothing against tribal gods;
that just isn't my tribe. If the geneticist theories are correct my
ancestors were romping and stomping in northern Europe long before Moses
spent 40 years wandering in circles.

Apparently that Guy never existed and is just a mish mash of other stories

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 5/5/2016 3:03 AM, news16 wrote:
On Wed, 04 May 2016 21:24:25 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 05/04/2016 05:17 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:
Then there is that pesky "us".

2 I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of
Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

something I heard the other night is that this is BS. Never was an Exodus
from Egypt.

3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Exodus 20:2-3

There are plenty of other Gods to go around. The Jewish tribal God just
wants His people to keep him first. I have nothing against tribal gods;
that just isn't my tribe. If the geneticist theories are correct my
ancestors were romping and stomping in northern Europe long before Moses
spent 40 years wandering in circles.

Apparently that Guy never existed and is just a mish mash of other stories

What do you think the whole bible is?!

If he did exist, he was not very smart.

"Let me tell you the one thing I have against Moses. He took us forty
years into the desert in order to bring us to the one place in the
Middle East that has no oil." [Golda Meir]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Default Flashlight temptation (initial follow up report 3)

On 5/4/2016 8:46 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
One of these days, I'll check the amp draw, and
do a life test on the provided battery. And what
ever other tests. Might take it outdoors, see
how far the beam reaches.

Left the light on, last night. On purpose.
12 hours later, the light is plenty bright.
Original carbon zinc battery, in use.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Thu, 05 May 2016 14:58:45 +0100, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 5/4/2016 8:46 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
One of these days, I'll check the amp draw, and
do a life test on the provided battery. And what
ever other tests. Might take it outdoors, see
how far the beam reaches.

Left the light on, last night. On purpose.
12 hours later, the light is plenty bright.
Original carbon zinc battery, in use.

You left a torch on all night without using a rechargeable battery?

--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/5/2016 10:07 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Thu, 05 May 2016 14:58:45 +0100, Stormin Mormon

Left the light on, last night. On purpose.
12 hours later, the light is plenty bright.
Original carbon zinc battery, in use.

You left a torch on all night without using a rechargeable battery?

Yes, that is correct. The battery in question
is a carbon zinc D cell, worth about 35 cents.
It will self discharge in about a year, and
then I can put it in the trash without getting
any use out of it.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Thu, 05 May 2016 16:21:35 +0100, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 5/5/2016 10:07 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Thu, 05 May 2016 14:58:45 +0100, Stormin Mormon

Left the light on, last night. On purpose.
12 hours later, the light is plenty bright.
Original carbon zinc battery, in use.

You left a torch on all night without using a rechargeable battery?

Yes, that is correct. The battery in question
is a carbon zinc D cell, worth about 35 cents.
It will self discharge in about a year, and
then I can put it in the trash without getting
any use out of it.

This is unusual. With the usage time you got, I assume it's an LED torch. D cells haven't been around for ages. LED torches tend to take AA or the Lithium Ion equivalent. Is this a home made torch or a conversion?

--
All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 5/3/2016 4:52 PM, zwOtp *ighty Wannabe EOoRn wrote:

Trump will do worse than Romney or McCain, but they could not win
either. He will at least do better than Barry Goldwater.

Trump will lose the election in November. That's why the GOP wants to
deny him of his nomination.

For better or for worse, neither party nominates the candidate most
likely to beat the other party.

If Trump runs against Hillary in November, the voters will pick Hillary
(the lessor of two evils).

All the predictions are of a landslide for Hillary. But it will probably
be closer than the pundits predict.

The good thing for Hillary is that several states that have not voted
for the Democratic candidate in decades are likely to choose her because
Trump is so awful. Trump would have to win every state that is Weak
Trump, and nearly every state that is Weak Clinton (Clinton is barely
ahead of Trump in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Florida, and Trump needs to
win all three of those states to have a chance).

Not impossible, but it would take a serious misstep by Clinton, not just
more manufactured "scandals."
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/5/2016 11:28 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Thu, 05 May 2016 16:21:35 +0100, Stormin Mormon
Yes, that is correct. The battery in question
is a carbon zinc D cell, worth about 35 cents.
It will self discharge in about a year, and
then I can put it in the trash without getting
any use out of it.

This is unusual. With the usage time you got, I assume it's an LED
torch. D cells haven't been around for ages. LED torches tend to take
AA or the Lithium Ion equivalent. Is this a home made torch or a
conversion?

Please read some of my other posts, under
similar subject lines. I've explained all
this. And I thought clearly so.

D cells have been around for at least 60 years.
I have a flashlight "torch" that belonged to my
great grand father, takes two D cells.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Thu, 05 May 2016 18:07:58 +0100, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 5/5/2016 11:28 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Thu, 05 May 2016 16:21:35 +0100, Stormin Mormon
Yes, that is correct. The battery in question
is a carbon zinc D cell, worth about 35 cents.
It will self discharge in about a year, and
then I can put it in the trash without getting
any use out of it.

This is unusual. With the usage time you got, I assume it's an LED
torch. D cells haven't been around for ages. LED torches tend to take
AA or the Lithium Ion equivalent. Is this a home made torch or a
conversion?

Please read some of my other posts, under
similar subject lines. I've explained all
this. And I thought clearly so.

Why would you think I or anyone else has the time to read every single post?

D cells have been around for at least 60 years.
I have a flashlight "torch" that belonged to my
great grand father, takes two D cells.

And lasts 12 hours?

--
An elderly British gentleman of 83 arrived in Paris by plane. At the French
customs desk he took a few minutes to locate his passport in his carry-on
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/5/2016 1:20 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Thu, 05 May 2016 18:07:58 +0100, Stormin Mormon
This is unusual. With the usage time you got, I assume it's an LED
torch. D cells haven't been around for ages. LED torches tend to take
AA or the Lithium Ion equivalent. Is this a home made torch or a
conversion?

Please read some of my other posts, under
similar subject lines. I've explained all
this. And I thought clearly so.

Why would you think I or anyone else has the time to read every single
post?

D cells have been around for at least 60 years.
I have a flashlight "torch" that belonged to my
great grand father, takes two D cells.

And lasts 12 hours?

1) Of course! Everyone who reads these lists
is fascinated by what I write, and studies
my writing in great detail.
2) I suspect the old flash light / torch
lasts about 3 hours on carbon zinc cells.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/5/2016 1:20 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Thu, 05 May 2016 18:07:58 +0100, Stormin Mormon
This is unusual. With the usage time you got, I assume it's an LED
torch. D cells haven't been around for ages. LED torches tend to take
AA or the Lithium Ion equivalent. Is this a home made torch or a
conversion?

Please read some of my other posts, under
similar subject lines. I've explained all
this. And I thought clearly so.

Why would you think I or anyone else has the time to read every single
post?

The light was made in China. Sold by
Dollar General, in USA. Was not modified
at all after purchase. Cost $2.50 US
dollars, and came with one carbon zinc
battery.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Thu, 05 May 2016 20:28:17 +0100, Stormin Mormon wrote:

[...]

I'm subscribed to 40 newsgroups.

--
A man comes out of a shopping mall to find that the side of his parked car is rammed in.
Seeing a note under the windshield, he read it.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

And an LED? I didn't know they even still made Zinc Carbon batteries. They really are ****, very small capacity. And leak in not too many years.

--
If you believe in telepathy, raise my hand.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/5/2016 3:44 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Thu, 05 May 2016 20:30:11 +0100, Stormin Mormon
This is unusual. With the usage time you got, I assume it's an LED
torch. D cells haven't been around for ages. LED torches tend to
take
AA or the Lithium Ion equivalent. Is this a home made torch or a
conversion?

The light was made in China. Sold by
Dollar General, in USA. Was not modified
at all after purchase. Cost $2.50 US
dollars, and came with one carbon zinc
battery.

And an LED? I didn't know they even still made Zinc Carbon batteries.
They really are ****, very small capacity. And leak in not too many years.

One bulb. Looks more like a Cree emitter, rather
than a LED. Yes, Carbon zinc cells are very easy
to find in stores in the USA. Very low energy
capacity. Low amp delivery. And they lose power
rapidly. And leak easily. Brown corrosion, around
the flat negative end.

When I was a kid (before alkalines were invented),
my Dad bought a charger that was supposed to recharge
carbon zinc cells. The second charge didn't last very
long, either.

I'm prefectly willing to use up such a cell,
for testing.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Thu, 05 May 2016 20:50:26 +0100, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 5/5/2016 3:44 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Thu, 05 May 2016 20:30:11 +0100, Stormin Mormon
This is unusual. With the usage time you got, I assume it's an LED
torch. D cells haven't been around for ages. LED torches tend to
take
AA or the Lithium Ion equivalent. Is this a home made torch or a
conversion?

The light was made in China. Sold by
Dollar General, in USA. Was not modified
at all after purchase. Cost $2.50 US
dollars, and came with one carbon zinc
battery.

And an LED? I didn't know they even still made Zinc Carbon batteries.
They really are ****, very small capacity. And leak in not too many years.

One bulb. Looks more like a Cree emitter, rather
than a LED.

Huh? CREE make LEDS.

Yes, Carbon zinc cells are very easy
to find in stores in the USA. Very low energy
capacity. Low amp delivery. And they lose power
rapidly. And leak easily. Brown corrosion, around
the flat negative end.

So why does anyone buy them? You'd only be fooled once.

When I was a kid (before alkalines were invented),
my Dad bought a charger that was supposed to recharge
carbon zinc cells. The second charge didn't last very
long, either.

I'm prefectly willing to use up such a cell,
for testing.

10 years ago I was looking at chargers for zinc carbon/chloride and alkaline. They only charged them 10 times and the charged cycles were much lower capacity than the original.
I think all the charger does is do it slowly.

--
19 Brits have died in the last 3 years believing that christmas decorations were chocolate.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/5/2016 3:01 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Hacking LED flashlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0iD8_qq4FU

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Thu, 05 May 2016 22:10:00 +0100, My 2 Cents wrote:

On 5/5/2016 3:01 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Hacking LED flashlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0iD8_qq4FU

I haven't watched the whole video, but if you want to charge a Li Ion at a decent speed, you need to regulate it to 4.2V maximum or it'll catch fire.

--
Phone answering machine message: 'If you want to buy marijuana, press the hash key.'
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/5/2016 4:23 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Thu, 05 May 2016 22:10:00 +0100, My 2 Cents wrote:

On 5/5/2016 3:01 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Hacking LED flashlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0iD8_qq4FU

I haven't watched the whole video, but if you want to charge a Li Ion at
a decent speed, you need to regulate it to 4.2V maximum or it'll catch
fire.

That's the whole point of buying this flashlight... it must have a
Joule Thief circuit but it doesn't have the ferrite toroid core. I don't
see a capacitor either... it does have the transistor and resistor.
How'd they do it? Why didn't they go ahead and make it a two D cell
flashlight? It is a two cell flashlight with half the capacity not
used. Some of the Dollar Tree flashlight you can break three tabs of
the spacer and use a lithium 18650 instead of the 3 AA batteries. No
low discharge protection though if you leave it on for days it will kill
the battery, otherwise just recharge it in your lithium battery charger.
How a Joule Thief Works, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GVLnyTdqkg

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/5/2016 4:01 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

One bulb. Looks more like a Cree emitter, rather
than a LED.

Huh? CREE make LEDS.

CY: Well, maybe they use different names.

Yes, Carbon zinc cells are very easy
to find in stores in the USA. Very low energy
capacity. Low amp delivery. And they lose power
rapidly. And leak easily. Brown corrosion, around
the flat negative end.

So why does anyone buy them? You'd only be fooled once.

CY: Price. The carbon zinc AA cells are eight for a buck,
at Dollar Tree. Alkalines are four for a buck. Some consumers
don't know that alkalines last four times as long. As such,
a much better product for the money.

When I was a kid (before alkalines were invented),
my Dad bought a charger that was supposed to recharge
carbon zinc cells. The second charge didn't last very
long, either.

I'm prefectly willing to use up such a cell,
for testing.

10 years ago I was looking at chargers for zinc carbon/chloride and
alkaline. They only charged them 10 times and the charged cycles were
much lower capacity than the original.
I think all the charger does is do it slowly.

CY: In the US, Rayovac used to sell alkalines
called "Renewal" which were supposed to be
rechargable up to 25 times. I did buy some,
but not used them for much.

Posted inline, after my initials. As a courtesy.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/5/2016 5:33 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/5/2016 4:01 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

One bulb. Looks more like a Cree emitter, rather
than a LED.

Huh? CREE make LEDS.

CY: Well, maybe they use different names.

http://www.dx.com/p/replacement-3w-c...1#.Vyu9mCGE_2Q

Hope the link comes through. Anyhow, the emitters
are differnt than the LED commonly in use.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Default Flashlight temptation (initial follow up report)

On Wed, 4 May 2016 19:22:30 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 5/4/2016 10:21 AM, My 2 Cents wrote:

Curiosity got the better of me and when I was at Dollar General
yesterday getting some cheap glucosamine for my knees... I took the
giant leap and got the flashlight. I'm still trying to figure out why a
big double D size flashlight with only one D cell? Maybe because it's
an election year and anything can happen.
Of course I took it apart and there is what looks like a simple
transistor/resister circuit. The voltage at the bulb was about 1 volt
with the light in the circuit. The battery measured... well it's a D
cell so it's 1.5 volt. I suppose the transistor is actually some kind
of voltage regulating thing. The thing will probably be "repurposed"
for a bike light...maybe... or it will fall off the shelf and roll under
the bed.. to be discovered someday and taken to that "what the hell is
this thing and what's it worth" show on PBS.
Further independent study for those wanting extra credit...

http://www.edn.com/design/led/441654...d-measurements

I had a weak moment, today. Went and bought one. The
one battery worked, the light shines a very blue,
poorly focussed spot on the ceiling. It's about
twilight, so it's a pretty fair test of light output.
I plan to do some testing after dark. Also check amp
draw, battery life, and a few things like that.

So far, with the initial moment or two of testing, it
appears to be a reasonable value.

While I do have some inexpensive LED flashlights and lanterns - one
with a crank generator, I bit the bullet in the last couple of years
and got some better lighting.

For better made lighting with reasonable battery life, try dorcy.com A
step up from there is fenix-store.com/

The 200 lumen Dorcy "camping" lantern ($23) runs 39 hours on 3 D cells
http://www.dorcy.com/p-410-41-3103-2...g-lantern.aspx

The 65 lumen "warm white area" lantern ($25) runs 60+ hours on 3 D
cells This also has a "nightlight" amber LED with unspecified run
time.
http://www.dorcy.com/p-637-41-3104-w...a-lantern.aspx

I have both and will report when (if) power is off long enough to
provide a valid test. In 11 years at this location, the longest
outage was about 16 hours - that was before I had these lights.

For an every day carry flashlight, look at the Fenix E12.
http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-e12-led-flashlight/
I initially thought it was a bit pricey ($26) and put off buying it
for a while. However, unlike most of the inexpensive LED lights, I've
never had to shake or thump it to get good contact with the battery -
even if it's been sitting for months (same is true for my two AA
MagLite with LED conversion).
The E12 uses one AA cell and the specs a
High - 130 Lumens (1 hour 30 minutes)
Mid - 50 Lumens (6 hours 30 minutes)
Low - 8 Lumens (40 hours)
I don't remember the last time I changed the battery in it and even
with recent use for two nights as the nightlight in a hotel room that
didn't have one, it's still bright on the highest setting.
It's waterproof to 6 feet for 30 minutes - and has been through the
washing machine once (shirt pockets not checked).
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Thu, 05 May 2016 22:33:29 +0100, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 5/5/2016 4:01 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

One bulb. Looks more like a Cree emitter, rather
than a LED.

Huh? CREE make LEDS.

CY: Well, maybe they use different names.

Huh? I assume "CREE emitter" is a type of LED, like the ones I have in some of my household bulbs.

Yes, Carbon zinc cells are very easy
to find in stores in the USA. Very low energy
capacity. Low amp delivery. And they lose power
rapidly. And leak easily. Brown corrosion, around
the flat negative end.

So why does anyone buy them? You'd only be fooled once.

CY: Price. The carbon zinc AA cells are eight for a buck,
at Dollar Tree. Alkalines are four for a buck. Some consumers
don't know that alkalines last four times as long. As such,
a much better product for the money.

6 times. And surely they only make that mistake once? Anyway, in the UK at least, everyone has heard of alkaline, usually Duracell.

When I was a kid (before alkalines were invented),
my Dad bought a charger that was supposed to recharge
carbon zinc cells. The second charge didn't last very
long, either.

I'm prefectly willing to use up such a cell,
for testing.

10 years ago I was looking at chargers for zinc carbon/chloride and
alkaline. They only charged them 10 times and the charged cycles were
much lower capacity than the original.
I think all the charger does is do it slowly.

CY: In the US, Rayovac used to sell alkalines
called "Renewal" which were supposed to be
rechargable up to 25 times. I did buy some,
but not used them for much.

Posted inline, after my initials. As a courtesy.

Eh?

--
We've had a hot, dry summer this year. It was so hot that one of my neighbors said his wife even thawed out.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Thu, 05 May 2016 22:41:12 +0100, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 5/5/2016 5:33 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/5/2016 4:01 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

One bulb. Looks more like a Cree emitter, rather
than a LED.

Huh? CREE make LEDS.

CY: Well, maybe they use different names.

http://www.dx.com/p/replacement-3w-c...1#.Vyu9mCGE_2Q

Hope the link comes through. Anyhow, the emitters
are differnt than the LED commonly in use.

Just brighter LEDs that's all, they're still light emitting diodes.

--
It hurt the way your tongue hurts after you accidentally staple it to the wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/5/2016 5:59 PM, wrote:
[...]

My every day, many times a day light is a 2 AA mini
mag with Teralux bulb. Much same as your experience.
Very dependable, seldom have a dead battery. I use
NiMH cells, change them out every several days when
I think of it. Fits nicely in my pocket, and is
brighter than an old 2d Duracell Durabeam. Light
is slightly blue.

Some years ago I got some Dorcy lights at Walmart,
one AAA cell. They are rather bright. Not a size
I use every day, but they are nice for coat pocket.
Battery goes in backwards, so it doesn't turn on
and go dead by accident.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Thu, 05 May 2016 22:31:04 +0100, My 2 Cents wrote:

[...]

Is the point of this so you can waterproof it? Surely you now have a USB socket full of water?

I'll just take the batteries out and charge them thanks, it also means I can take spares on a trip without bothering with a charger.

--
People who wonder whether the glass is half empty or half full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Default Flashlight temptation / life of battery types

On 5/5/2016 6:17 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Huh? CREE make LEDS.

CY: Well, maybe they use different names.

Huh? I assume "CREE emitter" is a type of LED, like the ones I have in
some of my household bulbs.

CY: The ones I call Cree tend to be square, and
mounted on a circuit board or heat sink. LED
are dome shaped with two wires. Seldom heat sunk.

Yes, Carbon zinc cells are very easy
to find in stores in the USA. Very low energy
capacity. Low amp delivery. And they lose power
rapidly. And leak easily. Brown corrosion, around
the flat negative end.

So why does anyone buy them? You'd only be fooled once.

CY: Price. The carbon zinc AA cells are eight for a buck,
at Dollar Tree. Alkalines are four for a buck. Some consumers
don't know that alkalines last four times as long. As such,
a much better product for the money.

6 times. And surely they only make that mistake once? Anyway, in the
UK at least, everyone has heard of alkaline, usually Duracell.

CY: In the early 1980s, I did life tests of carbon
and alkaline batteries. I tried high drain (pocket
flash light, AA cells) and low drain (tape recorder
using C cells). My tests came up four to one. Did you
do the tests, or do you have an online link? It may
well have changed, since then.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Default Flashlight temptation / types of light bulbs

On 5/5/2016 6:18 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Thu, 05 May 2016 22:41:12 +0100, Stormin Mormon

On 5/5/2016 5:33 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/5/2016 4:01 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

One bulb. Looks more like a Cree emitter, rather
than a LED.

Huh? CREE make LEDS.
CY: Well, maybe they use different names.

http://www.dx.com/p/replacement-3w-c...1#.Vyu9mCGE_2Q

Hope the link comes through. Anyhow, the emitters
are differnt than the LED commonly in use.

Just brighter LEDs that's all, they're still light emitting diodes.

The URL calls it Cree, and the web page calls
it an emitter. That's how I got my choice of
name for the device.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Default Flashlight temptation / types of battery packs

On 5/5/2016 6:23 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
That's the whole point of buying this flashlight... it must have a
Joule Thief circuit but it doesn't have the ferrite toroid core. I don't
see a capacitor either... it does have the transistor and resistor.
How'd they do it? Why didn't they go ahead and make it a two D cell
flashlight? It is a two cell flashlight with half the capacity not
used.

Is the point of this so you can waterproof it? Surely you now have a
USB socket full of water?

I'll just take the batteries out and charge them thanks, it also means I
can take spares on a trip without bothering with a charger.

I've been tempted by battery packs. However, I
also remember taking apart square Duracell 6 volt
lantern batteries. The one or two I've done have
D cells inside, with a cardboard spacer and some
metal to conduct electricity. I've also found they
usually have one dead cell, and three which work
fine. Lot to be said for loose cells.

I've recently bought a couple of 6 AA battery packs
for my amateur radio handi talkie. I can get lithium
ion rechargable packs. But, I do like to keep the
options open. I can stop by the store and buy AA cells
easier than finding a lithium ion battery pack.

It's unlikely I'll ever be in a situation where I
have my one D cell light, and one working D cell.
But, then, I like to wonder and dream.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Thu, 05 May 2016 23:33:00 +0100, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 5/5/2016 6:18 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Thu, 05 May 2016 22:41:12 +0100, Stormin Mormon

On 5/5/2016 5:33 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/5/2016 4:01 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

One bulb. Looks more like a Cree emitter, rather
than a LED.

Huh? CREE make LEDS.
CY: Well, maybe they use different names.

http://www.dx.com/p/replacement-3w-c...1#.Vyu9mCGE_2Q

Hope the link comes through. Anyhow, the emitters
are differnt than the LED commonly in use.

Just brighter LEDs that's all, they're still light emitting diodes.

The URL calls it Cree, and the web page calls
it an emitter. That's how I got my choice of
name for the device.

Cree is a company. They make very bright LEDs.

--
An old Irish farmer's dog goes missing and he's inconsolable.
His wife says "Why don't you put an advert in the paper?"
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Thu, 05 May 2016 23:30:49 +0100, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 5/5/2016 6:17 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Huh? CREE make LEDS.
CY: Well, maybe they use different names.

Huh? I assume "CREE emitter" is a type of LED, like the ones I have in
some of my household bulbs.

CY: The ones I call Cree tend to be square, and
mounted on a circuit board or heat sink. LED
are dome shaped with two wires. Seldom heat sunk.

They are all LEDs.

I was going by Duracell's advertising, which may be false. Probably a good alkaline vs a ****ty zinc carbon gives you a ratio of 6.

--
An old Irish farmer's dog goes missing and he's inconsolable.
His wife says "Why don't you put an advert in the paper?"
He does, but two weeks later the dog is still missing.
"What did you put in the paper?" his wife asks.
"Here boy" he replies.

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 5/5/2016 11:06 AM, sms wrote:
[...]

Communist Morons like you have been shouting that from the roof tops for
over a year now. I would guess that the current events would wise you
up.. Your kind have lost and will lost big time in November. We should
be executing your kind just to insure that America never gets that deep
in debt and corruption as your kind promotes. I would have guess that a
gasbag like you would be out of methane by now.

ages who mean to govern well, but *They mean to govern*. They promise to
be good masters, *but they mean to be masters*. Daniel Webster
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/5/2016 6:46 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Thu, 05 May 2016 23:33:00 +0100, Stormin Mormon
One bulb. Looks more like a Cree emitter, rather
than a LED.
http://www.dx.com/p/replacement-3w-c...1#.Vyu9mCGE_2Q

Hope the link comes through. Anyhow, the emitters
are differnt than the LED commonly in use.

Just brighter LEDs that's all, they're still light emitting diodes.

The URL calls it Cree, and the web page calls
it an emitter. That's how I got my choice of
name for the device.

Cree is a company. They make very bright LEDs.

Which, on the web page, are called emitters.
We agree.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 5/5/2016 6:47 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Thu, 05 May 2016 23:30:49 +0100, Stormin Mormon
Huh? I assume "CREE emitter" is a type of LED, like the ones I have in
some of my household bulbs.

CY: The ones I call Cree tend to be square, and
mounted on a circuit board or heat sink. LED
are dome shaped with two wires. Seldom heat sunk.

They are all LEDs.

CY: I go by what the sellers call them.

6 times. And surely they only make that mistake once? Anyway, in the
UK at least, everyone has heard of alkaline, usually Duracell.

CY: In the early 1980s, I did life tests of carbon
and alkaline batteries. I tried high drain (pocket
flash light, AA cells) and low drain (tape recorder
using C cells). My tests came up four to one. Did you
do the tests, or do you have an online link? It may
well have changed, since then.

I was going by Duracell's advertising, which may be false. Probably a
good alkaline vs a ****ty zinc carbon gives you a ratio of 6.

CY: What a shift. Above, I go by the web page.
Here, you are the one who is quoting the web
page.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Fri, 06 May 2016 00:08:28 +0100, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 5/5/2016 6:47 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Thu, 05 May 2016 23:30:49 +0100, Stormin Mormon
Huh? I assume "CREE emitter" is a type of LED, like the ones I have in
some of my household bulbs.
CY: The ones I call Cree tend to be square, and
mounted on a circuit board or heat sink. LED
are dome shaped with two wires. Seldom heat sunk.

They are all LEDs.

CY: I go by what the sellers call them.

You would call a Chrysler a car, right?

6 times. And surely they only make that mistake once? Anyway, in the
UK at least, everyone has heard of alkaline, usually Duracell.
CY: In the early 1980s, I did life tests of carbon
and alkaline batteries. I tried high drain (pocket
flash light, AA cells) and low drain (tape recorder
using C cells). My tests came up four to one. Did you
do the tests, or do you have an online link? It may
well have changed, since then.

I was going by Duracell's advertising, which may be false. Probably a
good alkaline vs a ****ty zinc carbon gives you a ratio of 6.

CY: What a shift. Above, I go by the web page.
Here, you are the one who is quoting the web
page.

What? Where?

--
110 people once tied for second prize in the Powerball Lottery after playing the same lucky numbers from a fortune cookie.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Fri, 06 May 2016 00:06:20 +0100, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 5/5/2016 6:46 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Thu, 05 May 2016 23:33:00 +0100, Stormin Mormon
One bulb. Looks more like a Cree emitter, rather
than a LED.
http://www.dx.com/p/replacement-3w-c...1#.Vyu9mCGE_2Q

Hope the link comes through. Anyhow, the emitters
are differnt than the LED commonly in use.

Just brighter LEDs that's all, they're still light emitting diodes.

The URL calls it Cree, and the web page calls
it an emitter. That's how I got my choice of
name for the device.

Cree is a company. They make very bright LEDs.

Which, on the web page, are called emitters.
We agree.

Light EMITTING diode.

--
A man goes home early and catches another man in bed with his wife.
He drags the naked man out of the house and into his garden shed.