Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Default Flashlight temptation (initial follow up report 3)

On 5/5/2016 3:44 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Thu, 05 May 2016 20:30:11 +0100, Stormin Mormon
This is unusual. With the usage time you got, I assume it's an LED
torch. D cells haven't been around for ages. LED torches tend to
take
AA or the Lithium Ion equivalent. Is this a home made torch or a
conversion?

The light was made in China. Sold by
Dollar General, in USA. Was not modified
at all after purchase. Cost $2.50 US
dollars, and came with one carbon zinc
battery.

And an LED? I didn't know they even still made Zinc Carbon batteries.
They really are ****, very small capacity. And leak in not too many years.

One bulb. Looks more like a Cree emitter, rather
than a LED. Yes, Carbon zinc cells are very easy
to find in stores in the USA. Very low energy
capacity. Low amp delivery. And they lose power
rapidly. And leak easily. Brown corrosion, around
the flat negative end.

When I was a kid (before alkalines were invented),
my Dad bought a charger that was supposed to recharge
carbon zinc cells. The second charge didn't last very
long, either.

I'm prefectly willing to use up such a cell,
for testing.

--
..
Christopher A. Young