Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival
Mr Macaw Mr Macaw is offline

Default Flashlight temptation / life of battery types

On Thu, 05 May 2016 23:30:49 +0100, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 5/5/2016 6:17 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Huh? CREE make LEDS.
CY: Well, maybe they use different names.

Huh? I assume "CREE emitter" is a type of LED, like the ones I have in
some of my household bulbs.

CY: The ones I call Cree tend to be square, and
mounted on a circuit board or heat sink. LED
are dome shaped with two wires. Seldom heat sunk.

They are all LEDs.

Yes, Carbon zinc cells are very easy
to find in stores in the USA. Very low energy
capacity. Low amp delivery. And they lose power
rapidly. And leak easily. Brown corrosion, around
the flat negative end.

So why does anyone buy them? You'd only be fooled once.
CY: Price. The carbon zinc AA cells are eight for a buck,
at Dollar Tree. Alkalines are four for a buck. Some consumers
don't know that alkalines last four times as long. As such,
a much better product for the money.

6 times. And surely they only make that mistake once? Anyway, in the
UK at least, everyone has heard of alkaline, usually Duracell.

CY: In the early 1980s, I did life tests of carbon
and alkaline batteries. I tried high drain (pocket
flash light, AA cells) and low drain (tape recorder
using C cells). My tests came up four to one. Did you
do the tests, or do you have an online link? It may
well have changed, since then.

I was going by Duracell's advertising, which may be false. Probably a good alkaline vs a ****ty zinc carbon gives you a ratio of 6.

--
An old Irish farmer's dog goes missing and he's inconsolable.
His wife says "Why don't you put an advert in the paper?"