Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Default Flashlight temptation (initial follow up report 2)

On 5/4/2016 7:22 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I had a weak moment, today. Went and bought one. The
one battery worked, the light shines a very blue,
poorly focussed spot on the ceiling. It's about
twilight, so it's a pretty fair test of light output.
I plan to do some testing after dark. Also check amp
draw, battery life, and a few things like that.

So far, with the initial moment or two of testing, it
appears to be a reasonable value.

Package says it's an Open Trails brand one LED
light with 1 D battery. Made in China (why would
that surprise anyone?) Distributed by
Dolgencorp. Product Code EP-251.

The bulb is more like a Cree emitter than LED.
Square base, not the round top bulb like the HF
free lights.

The light is slightly brighter than a Harbor
Freight free 9 LED light. The light is a
little whiter than the HF light. It sure would
be nice if the beam was whiter. But, it is
still useful.

I tried the light in totally dark rooms. Sure is
better than being in the dark. I also tried the
light down the hall of my trailer. It is plenty
bright enough to see if there was a burglar.

The closed end of the light has a swing out loop,
for hanging. Sure enough, the light hangs nicely
by the loop. Hanging on a nail, it would be good
resource for power cuts.

One of these days, I'll check the amp draw, and
do a life test on the provided battery. And what
ever other tests. Might take it outdoors, see
how far the beam reaches.

--
..
Christopher A. Young