Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Default Flashlight temptation (initial follow up report)

On 5/5/2016 5:59 PM, wrote:
While I do have some inexpensive LED flashlights and lanterns - one
with a crank generator, I bit the bullet in the last couple of years
and got some better lighting.

For better made lighting with reasonable battery life, try dorcy.com A
step up from there is fenix-store.com/

The 200 lumen Dorcy "camping" lantern ($23) runs 39 hours on 3 D cells
http://www.dorcy.com/p-410-41-3103-2...g-lantern.aspx

The 65 lumen "warm white area" lantern ($25) runs 60+ hours on 3 D
cells This also has a "nightlight" amber LED with unspecified run
time.
http://www.dorcy.com/p-637-41-3104-w...a-lantern.aspx

I have both and will report when (if) power is off long enough to
provide a valid test. In 11 years at this location, the longest
outage was about 16 hours - that was before I had these lights.

For an every day carry flashlight, look at the Fenix E12.
http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-e12-led-flashlight/
I initially thought it was a bit pricey ($26) and put off buying it
for a while. However, unlike most of the inexpensive LED lights, I've
never had to shake or thump it to get good contact with the battery -
even if it's been sitting for months (same is true for my two AA
MagLite with LED conversion).
The E12 uses one AA cell and the specs a
High - 130 Lumens (1 hour 30 minutes)
Mid - 50 Lumens (6 hours 30 minutes)
Low - 8 Lumens (40 hours)
I don't remember the last time I changed the battery in it and even
with recent use for two nights as the nightlight in a hotel room that
didn't have one, it's still bright on the highest setting.
It's waterproof to 6 feet for 30 minutes - and has been through the
washing machine once (shirt pockets not checked).

My every day, many times a day light is a 2 AA mini
mag with Teralux bulb. Much same as your experience.
Very dependable, seldom have a dead battery. I use
NiMH cells, change them out every several days when
I think of it. Fits nicely in my pocket, and is
brighter than an old 2d Duracell Durabeam. Light
is slightly blue.

Some years ago I got some Dorcy lights at Walmart,
one AAA cell. They are rather bright. Not a size
I use every day, but they are nice for coat pocket.
Battery goes in backwards, so it doesn't turn on
and go dead by accident.

--
..
Christopher A. Young