Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival
Mr Macaw Mr Macaw is offline

Default Flashlight temptation (save the AA cells)

On Sat, 07 May 2016 19:04:44 +0100, Winston_Smith wrote:

On Sat, 7 May 2016 12:29:25 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Also, there used to be a single AA
light with joule thief, that was supposed to run
AA cells down near to nothing.
http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Infinit.../dp/B00062APHU

I bought a couple when they first came out. My year 2000 review:
http://web.newsguy.com/anozira/anozi...t/infinity.htm
Some in red, some in white. Excellent for their day. Most of them
still work. The problem is with the original model the battery
direction was counter intuitive and no markings. You had to read and
remember the package info. It doesn't hold a candle (oooh is that pun)
to modern lights. If they still make them, I assume they have updated
them as LEDs and circuits advanced.

More recently I bought the Fenix E12 single AA for the wilderness day
pack and the Fenix E05 single AAA for the everyday carry. Both are
excellent. OTOH there are a dozen quality brands out there now.

Note that it sometimes does better on NiMH, sometimes on alkaline.
I've standardize on NiMH enloops several years ago.

http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-e05...ight-2014-edt/
85 lumens for 60 minutes NiMH/45 minutes Alkaline
25 lumens for 4 ¼ hours, either cell type
8 lumens for 14 ½ hours NiMH/15 hours Alkaline

I find the 8 lumen setting enough to see to walk on a dark night.

I use the following for everything - a camping torch, a hillwalking torch, a cycling lamp, and for using around the house to find things that fell behind things:

A version of this with a headstrap, rated at 2500 lumens, but actually nothing like that, seems about the same brightness as one car headlamp. It consumes 1.25A or 0.25A at 3.7V, which works out the same as a 45W or 9W incandescent:
http://srv-live-03.lazada.com.ph/p/g...-1-product.jpg

Using two of these:
http://www.orbtronic.com/batteries-c...-made-in-japan

On the dim setting, it lasts 24 hours with two of the above cells (they're in parallel, so you can use one if you want).
On the bright setting (similar to a car headlamp), it lasts 5 hours.
The dim setting is more than adequate for cycling, when I was a kid I used to cycle with a 3V 0.5A =1.5W bulb!

--
My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch.