Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Default Flashlight temptation / types of battery packs

On Sat, 07 May 2016 16:18:22 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Fri, 06 May 2016 20:37:14 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Fri, 06 May 2016 20:00:09 +0100, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 5/6/2016 2:35 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

My marine GPS uses AA NiMH cells and I find that the self-discharge rate
on them is quite high - high enough that I need to charge the batteries
the night before each use.

The earlier NiMH had a rapid self discharge.
The more recent ones aren't so bad. It is
also possible your cells had a lot of
discharge cycles.

I hope you have a spare set of alkaline
batteries on board. I've had at least once
when I had a set of dead batteries, about
4 flight of stairs higher than my van. That
made for a long, long walk. And a lot of
self flagellation along the way.

I have never known any rechargeable battery self discharge much unless it's very old.

Nicads will do that.

Co will NiMH. And so will certain lead acids.
Even some lithiums go dead sitting.