Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival
Mr Macaw Mr Macaw is offline

Default Flashlight temptation / types of battery packs

On Fri, 06 May 2016 21:17:34 +0100, Winston_Smith wrote:

On Fri, 06 May 2016 20:35:16 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:
On Fri, 06 May 2016 01:00:48 +0100, Winston_Smith wrote:

Cut open a NiMH or NiCd C or D cell. You will find an AA cell inside.
In the GE's I cut open, tipped off by the identical Ahr ratings, the
AA cell even had the label on it just like the ones they sold as AA.

Didn't you read the capacity on the side?

Yes. That's what got me curious. This was many years ago and nothing
else was on the market. NiCd were new. Buy them or buy nothing. It
gave fair performance for the money and when it finally died I opened
it up out of curiosity.

I'm sure there are honest D cells out there but even today, it's
common to find rechargable D, C, and AA of the same brand with
identical ratings. Hench I mention it to anyone that may not have
noticed.

I have adapters to use AA in my two surviving D applications so I'm
just about perfect in standardizing my battery needs at just AA an
AAA.

When NiCad first came out, the ones in the main shops were 0.5Ah AA, 1.2Ah C, and 1.2Ah D. So the D was obviously a C in a box. I had cycle lights that used two D cells, with a bulb, so they didn't last long if you used NiCads (which were much less capacity than alkalines). So I bought some 4Ah D from an electronics store. They were much heavier and lasted for ages. Took a bloody long time to charge with a 120mA charger though!

--
Computers are like air conditioners: They stop working when you open Windows.