Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

Default Interesting story about home automobile gasoline filling stationsin residential property

Interesting story just developed over the past two months that I figured
I'd let you know about in case it happens to you.

For about five years, I've been in an unfriendly situation with my
nearest neighbor (over past events with the kids getting into trouble and
barking loose dogs).

Then, the past two months, no less than 5 inspectors came to my property
to check for hazardous conditions due to 'anonymous' complaints.

The first was the fire marshall who was told I had 'large gasoline tanks'
on the property. Turns out, fuel containers of fewer than 60 gallons each
are exempt from fire marshall permit needs (a permit application alone,
he told me, is over $750).

That didn't strike me as too weird until the zoning guys dropped by. They
said someone complained about an improper 'accessory structure' used to
house gasoline. Turns out any accessory structure that is six feet from
the property line meets zoning requirements, so he left me alone.

It started to get weirder when the building inspector showed up for the
same reason (don't these guys talk to each other?). He too left empty
handed. Apparently an accessory structure only needs a permit if it's
greater than 120 square feet and if its highest point is greater than 14
feet tall.

I knew someone had it in for me when, a month later, my wife called me at
work to say there was a guy snooping around the property without even
knocking on the door! She called the police and then called me!

Turns out, it was a hazmat inspector who had received a complaint about a
'primary container' leaking with no 'secondary containment' in place. He
left before I arrived but told my wife that there was nothing he could or
would do unless it was actually leaking as there are no storage
regulations for private property other than you can't actually leak
gasoline into the ground.

He did suggest a 'secondary containment' of an oblong horse trough though.

I rushed home early from work to find both the police and yet another
inspector talking to my wife in the back yard. This inspector was from
the air quality management district. He said that organic fuel gas tanks
less than 260 gallons were exempt from vapor recovery & pressure venting
requirements, so he left before the cop finished asking questions.

The cop seemed amused by the whole story - but he asked a LOT of
questions about the gas cans lying around.

Turns out that you can't transport anything heavier (yes, heavier) than
500 pounds of "fuel" in a vehicle (not counting the vehicle's gasoline
tank itself) which he said was 62 gallons of gasoline (#11160 title 13
California Code of Regulations & 32000.5a California Vehicle Code). He
also mentioned that 172.504c Title 49 of the code of Federal Regulations
requires a placard if you carry more than 1,000 pounds of gasoline.

Since I'm only carrying about 50 gallons, I'm exempt from that too!

All in all, an interesting story. Now, I do have a sense of humor so I
have to figure out how I can get my neighbor back.

Have you ever engaged in these type of neighborly wars? Any good ideas?
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement

worker bee wrote:

The first was the fire marshall who was told I had 'large gasoline
tanks' on the property.

zoning guys dropped by. They said someone complained about an
improper 'accessory structure' used to house gasoline.

Turns out, it was a hazmat inspector who had received a complaint
about a 'primary container' leaking with no 'secondary containment'
in place. There are no storage regulations for private property
other than you can't actually leak gasoline into the ground.

This inspector was from the air quality management district.
He said that organic fuel gas tanks less than 260 gallons were...

The cop seemed amused by the whole story - but he asked a LOT of
questions about the gas cans lying around.

Since I'm only carrying about 50 gallons, I'm exempt from that too!

There is an awful lot about gasoline and gasoline containers in your
story.

Do you keep a lot of gas cans on your property - in full public view?

Do you handle a lot of gas cans (moving them around) on your property?

Is there a constant odor of gasoline hanging around your property that
the neighbor can smell? Or can the neighbor see you and your gas cans
without too much effort?

The average home owner might have a few 5-gallon cans for lawn mowers or
other small gas-powered engines - but it sounds like you dick around
with so much gas that you must make a living out of it somehow. Do you
own/operate a yard-maintainence or landscaping company (lots of lawn
mowers, small tractors, etc)? Or construction equipment (back-hoe,
etc)?

Or maybe you have lots of recreational vehicles? Boats or other
watercraft? Dirt bikes or ATV's?
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement

On Dec 2, 10:01*pm, Home Guy wrote:
worker bee wrote:
[...]

watercraft? *Dirt bikes or ATV's?- Hide quoted text -

well at peak times i have had multiple 5 gallon containers topping out
at just under a 100 gallons........

i have far less today.....

gasoline spoils very fast when it has 10% ethanol
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

worker bee wrote:
[...]

Hmmm
60 gal. of gas is more tan a big drumful. How come so much gas. in the
yard? Gas blend changes from season to season.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement

Tony Hwang wrote:

Hmmm
60 gal. of gas is more tan a big drumful.

Which got me thinking: You'd better clear-out all that gas, because the
next step your neighbor is likely to take is to throw a cigarette at it.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement

Tony Hwang wrote:

Hmmm
60 gal. of gas is more tan a big drumful.

Which got me thinking: You'd better clear-out all that gas, because the
next step your neighbor is likely to take is to throw a cigarette at it.

Hmm,
OP better have some special coverage on his house insurance. I have two
small portable cans, one with regular gas, one for 2 cycle engine
stored in my tool shed.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 22:01:09 -0500, Home Guy wrote:
Do you keep a lot of gas cans on your property - in full public view?

I have 10 five-gallon Blitz gasoline containers & a 55 gallon drum where
I pour them into, about once a month or so (as needed). So most of the
time the 10 red cans are empty (caps loose, open to the atmosphere) and
the 55-gallon drum is how I dispense gasoline to two vehicles with a
gasoline pump.

The neighbor can see into my back yard, as I can see into his as there
are few surrounding trees - only small shrubs which afford no great means
of privacy unfortunately.

Do you handle a lot of gas cans (moving them around) on your property?

Once a month or so, I fill the 10 5-gallon portable gasoline containers
at a filling station and use them to refill the 55-gallon drum. Other
than that, they don't 'move' around my property.

Is there a constant odor of gasoline hanging around your property that
the neighbor can smell? Or can the neighbor see you and your gas cans
without too much effort?

No way would there be an odor. There is way too much wind for that. Plus
there are no vapors to speak of that one could smell. They're all closed
containers when full. However, the neighbor 'can' see the whole operation
from where he sits as he is slightly elevated over me and there are scant
foliage to hide my perfectly legal activities.

The average home owner might have a few 5-gallon cans for lawn mowers or
other small gas-powered engines - but it sounds like you dick around
with so much gas that you must make a living out of it somehow.

No. I just fill my vehicles as needed. It takes about four to eight weeks
(average might be about six, but it varies) to empty the 55-gallon drum,
which necessitates a refill.

Do you own/operate a yard-maintenance or landscaping company
(lots of lawn mowers, small tractors, etc)? Or construction
equipment (back-hoe, etc)?

No. Just your average tools. Riding mower. 2-stroke blower. Stile chain
saw. Four-bladed edger & cultivator. Weed trimmer. 2-inch wood chipper.
Just the normal stuff. Why do you ask?

Or maybe you have lots of recreational vehicles? Boats or other
watercraft? Dirt bikes or ATV's?

One motorcycle. Two cars. A half dozen regular yard engines. Normal
stuff. But they all use gasoline to the tune of roughly fifteen or so
gallons a week (give or take a few).
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 19:10:12 -0800, bob haller wrote:
gasoline spoils very fast when it has 10% ethanol

Actually, as far as I can tell, gasoline doesn't spoil all 'that' fast.

I use up the entire 55 gallon drum in just a few weeks, depending on my
driving of course. It generally takes less than two months to use it all
up.

Even California blended corn-o-haul easily lasts two months from what
I've seen in the literature. HOWEVER (and this is a big but) ... EVERYONE
says gas doesn't last long but NOBODY actually has a length of time
specified that anyone else will agree to.

Hearing people say gas doesn't last is about as useful as hearing people
say life isn't what it used to be. It's meaningless the way it's used.

NOBODY but nobody can tell me how LONG gasoline REALLY lasts but EVERYONE
I talk to says two months is just fine. I even called Chevron and they
said there is no problem using their reformulated California gas months
after it was dispensed. They said WATER is the main culprit in gasoline
going bad - and they said that as long as you keep water out of the tank,
it should easily last the time I'm using it. They said heat also matters,
but, at outside temperatures, it doesn't matter as much as water does.

So, if anyone can find an actual TIME that others will agree to that
gasoline lasts in outside storage - I'd be the first one to listen to
them - but two months seems, by all accounts, to be well within the
agreed-upon stable storage period.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 20:45:40 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:
60 gal. of gas is more tan a big drumful. How come so much gas. in the
yard? Gas blend changes from season to season.

Actually, it's a 55 gallon drum and I don't seem to get even 50 gallons
into it, strangely enough. But I generally fill it before it goes empty
so I haven't filled it from empty since it was new a few years ago.

I use the gas up within two months (generally a month to a month and a
half is when I refill) so I really doubt the seasons matter all that much
- especially in California where there is really only one, maybe two at
most, seasons anyway. There is a cool dry summer and a slightly cooler
wetter winter - neither of which has a temperature swing you can't get in
a single day in most other northern parts of the country.

My gas tank is about 20 gallons. The wife's tank is about 20 gallons. The
bike is about 5 gallons. And the lawn mower and a half dozen other
engines around the yard takes another 5 gallons.

So, a single fillup (which in practice rarely happens) will empty out the
55-gallon drum. I don't see how this amount is any different than most of
you out there.

Don't you guys have a car for you, and one for the wife, and maybe a
secondary vehicle? Don't you have lawn mowers? Don't you have other yard
equipment? I would think 55 gallons is the bare minimum since all it does
is fill the tanks just once.

What I 'really' want is TWO 55 gallon drums. Actually, I'd love a 200
gallon tank - but once you get over 60 gallons, you start getting into
fire marshall permits & transportation permits and anything over 260
gallons for delivered fuel gets you into air resource board requirements.

So, 55 gallons seems a bare minimum, at least to me. Maybe you guys go to
the gas station a lot more than I do? Or you and your wife drive the same
car?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 23:25:05 -0500, Home Guy wrote:
the next step your neighbor is likely to take is
to throw a cigarette at it.

Cigarettes don't light liquid gasoline like they do in the movies, simply
because a cigarette is about 475°F (plus or minus 25°F) while the
ignition temperature of liquid gasoline is just slightly above that at
around 500°F. So, of course a very hot cigarette 'could' ignite liquid
gasoline - but not one thrown over the fence at me by my neighbor!

Fire is, of course, the biggest realistic danger.

Everyone manages that risk daily - for example, a one-car garage has
roughly 20 gallons of gasoline in it in metal or plastic gas tanks; a two
car garage has about 40, and a three-car garage has about 60 gallons of
gasoline in them all the time. It's way more dangerous to have gasoline
in a garage than outside, in a very airy structure to keep sun and water
off the equipment.

My gasoline is kept outside, in a very well ventilated shed (it's almost
not a shed, it's that well ventilated). Gas fumes in and of themselves
are not flammable but when mixed with air, then of course, they're highly
flammable in the right concentration near the floor of any enclosure.

The biggest danger is static electricity igniting fumes.

This can happen while fueling the vehicles at roughly 15 gallons per
minute from the automatic-shut-off 1/4 HP 12VDC electric fuel transfer
pump. To ward that off, the setup is well grounded, of course, with two
copper rods (for redundancy), and a 10BC fire extinguisher is always
nearby, just in case.

But a home filling station is no more dangerous than a commercial
gasoline filling station is, and, in fact, less dangerous if the puny
amounts of gasoline (55 gallons) are taken into account.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement

Tony Hwang wrote:

Hmmm
60 gal. of gas is more tan a big drumful.

Which got me thinking: You'd better clear-out all that gas, because the
next step your neighbor is likely to take is to throw a cigarette at it.

But that is arson and that is something you can back at the neighbor.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

On 3/12/2011 9:15 p.m., worker bee wrote:
[...]

Why can't you fill your car at the gas station like everybody else???.

At the moment the gas goes to the 5 gallon tank ( 10 times) to the 55
gallon drum (10 times) then to the car. Why all the stuffing around ???
Do it once!!!

If you want to upset your neighbor order him a dozen piazza or a load of
shingle.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement

Tony Hwang wrote:

Hmmm
60 gal. of gas is more tan a big drumful.

Which got me thinking: You'd better clear-out all that gas, because
the next step your neighbor is likely to take is to throw a cigarette
at it.

A burning cigarette will not ignite gasoline. But your point is well taken;
a thrown railroad flare will do the trick.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

clipped

Have you ever engaged in these type of neighborly wars? Any good ideas?

Calling code enforcement is a good way to start a neighbor war...gotta
be careful where it goes. I called code once when condo neighbors all
had gasoline cans sitting outside their doors for boats...some never
used their boats, so the gas was probably years old. We had already had
minor thefts and vandalism, so didn't want the vandal critters to be
inspired by having gasoline at hand. One neighbor was gone a lot, so
his son took one of his gas cans and put it inside the condo! The FD
enforced .. very nicely .. using the right kind of can, away from the
structure. The gas cans were stored outside front doors after I called
code enf. to get rid of recycling bins (full of trash) outside front
doors. The recycling bins, prior to my arrival at the condo, replaced
open trash cans that were the dining area for rats. They changed from
open trash cans to (free) dumpster, which helped. Another neighbor had
called code enf. about attic rats - there had been very heavy
infestation - and the code guy found only "dust balls in the AC duct";
had he checked the attic, he's have found lots of rat sign. After one
elderly neighbor passed away, I helped organize the estate sale in his
condo unit..great big rat trap on his closet shelf. These are not poor
folks we're talking about...
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

worker bee wrote:
[...]

You should ignore the insults and irritations or respond with a scorched
earth policy.

If you reply to your neighbor's affronts with piddly responses, like sending
him a fire engine at 3:00 a.m., this tit-for-tat business will go on for
decades, causing continuing fluxations and causing you (and him) to nearly
itch to death.

Now by "scorched earth" I mean doing something, probably illegal, but that
has a consequence orders of magnitudes greater than a mere inconvenience.

* Find about three of your like-minded neighbors. Visit your neighbor and
beat the **** out of him. I mean sufficient to put him, if not in the
hospital, at least in the emergency room.

* In the dark of the moon, plant some Marijuana shrubs in an out of the way
place on his property. Wait a week. Call the fuzz.

Consult the book: "Make My Day." Get it he
http://www.amazon.com/Make-My-Day-Ha...2915184&sr=1-1

I particularily liked the episode where a chap, after getting screwed by an
attorney, impersonated the attorney in talks with both the telephone company
and a local cemetery. He persuaded both that he was in desperate fear of
being buried alive and wanted a telephone in his casket and that he was
willing to pay any amount.

Negotiations continued for several weeks, but finally both the telephone
company and the cemetery found ways, at no small expense, to accommodate his
request.

He then took out an "ad" in a local suburban newspaper, disguised as an
obituary, of the target attorney. The legal-specialty newspaper in his
community picked it up and republished the faux death notice.

By this time, both the cemetery and the telephone company were pestering the
object attorney with demands that he come right down and sign some papers.

Then it got worse for the lawyer.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

On Dec 3, 3:38*am, worker bee wrote:
[...]

I suspect that with someone who is doing what you say
you're doing there is probably plenty more you're doing to **** off
your neighbor. I've known a lot of people and seen a lot of things,
but I never saw anyone trucking gasoline home in 5 gallon cans
and maintaining a 55 gallon drum in their backyard to routinely
fill their autos.

As for being the same as using a gas station, it's not. Gas stations
have been required to have vapor recovery systems for years now.
That's why the nozzles now have a rubber covering that must be
pressed against the tank for the fuel to flow. As the fuel flows in
the system sucks up the vapors that come out as the air is displaced.
It prevents those vapors from getting into the air. Is what you're
doing a major environmental deal? No, but is sure doesn't help
and it sounds pretty loony to me.

You also don't say exactly how close the neighbor's house is to
where you're storing and pumping this gasoline. He sees you
screwing around with at least a 55 gallon drum of gasoline,
filling it, pumping it, etc. He doesn't know exactly how much
you have or what you are doing. He does know that it sure
is strange and I think he had every right to call authorities to
make sure it complies with safety regulations.

I also suspect there is more to this story than that you use
the gasoline to fill your personal automobiles. More likely
it's being used for some business, which of course would
be a zoning violation.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech
hls hls is offline

I suggest you just let this thing cool off, and dont do anything
that will make it worse... "Getting even" can get you into
severe trouble with the law if you are not careful.

Just my 2 cents
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 23:35:44 +1300, bugalugs wrote:
Why can't you fill your car at the gas station like everybody else???.

Other than the unexpected inspector visits, it's just so very much easier
to fill up once every two months at the filling station.

It's all about the sheer convenience of gassing up at home.

On a different scale, it's the same reason you get water out of the tap,
instead of bringing a bucket to the village well every time you need a
drink.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement

bugalugs wrote:

Do you handle a lot of gas cans (moving them around) on your
property?

Once a month or so, I fill the 10 5-gallon portable gasoline
containers at a filling station and use them to refill the
55-gallon drum.

Why can't you fill your car at the gas station like everybody
else???.

Yea, I think that's what we're all trying to figure out at this point.

His neighbor was looking for a reason to call the authorities on him,
and didn't have to look far.

There's only 2 reasons why someone might want to maintain a small store
of gas in his backyard:

1) It's a long way to the gas station, and you're going to burn a lot of
gas going there just to get your gas. So get as much as you can in one
trip and bring it all home for re-distribution.

2) You want to save a few bucks by buying gas when the price is low.
It's just that you want to buy a LOT of gas when the price is low -
enough to last you a month.

I can't see either reason as being lucrative enough to justify the
hassle and the up-front cost in the tanks and pump. The additional risk
of having a large gas tank on your property is hard to quantify - and
just remember that it becomes more dangerous from an explosion pov the
more empty it gets.

Oh - your home insurance company might not like seeing this tank on your
property - you might want to check your insurance contract to see if
there's a limit as to how much gas they'll let you store before they
void the contract. If your neighbor was creative enough, he might try
to figure out who your property is insured with and give them an
anonymous call...
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

On 12/3/2011 9:02 AM, worker bee wrote:
On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 23:35:44 +1300, bugalugs wrote:
Why can't you fill your car at the gas station like everybody else???.

Other than the unexpected inspector visits, it's just so very much easier
to fill up once every two months at the filling station.

It's all about the sheer convenience of gassing up at home.

I would have to agree with you. I never understood the charm of just
being able to pull into a gas station and buy gasoline on demand and let
others deal with transporting and storing it. And even worse there are
three local cash only stations that charge less and pump it for you...

On a different scale, it's the same reason you get water out of the tap,
instead of bringing a bucket to the village well every time you need a
drink.

Not at all, you said you go to a gas station to get a flammable liquid
and put it in containers which you transport home and dump into another
container which you then transfer again. How exactly is that more
convenient than pulling into a gas station and saying "fill it up".

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement

On 12/3/2011 2:04 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Tony Hwang wrote:

Hmmm
60 gal. of gas is more tan a big drumful.

Which got me thinking: You'd better clear-out all that gas, because the
next step your neighbor is likely to take is to throw a cigarette at it.

Hmm,
OP better have some special coverage on his house insurance. I have two
small portable cans, one with regular gas, one for 2 cycle engine
stored in my tool shed.

Same here. I can't imagine what the convenience might be of filling cans
to bring home to dump into another container to then pump into the car
when I can just pull into a gas station and have the cars tank filled
and occasionally fill the small cans that I use for the mower and the
weedwacker.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

On Dec 3, 9:02*am, worker bee wrote:
On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 23:35:44 +1300, bugalugs wrote:
Why can't you fill your car at the gas station like everybody else???.

Other than the unexpected inspector visits, it's just so very much easier
to fill up once every two months at the filling station.

It's all about the sheer convenience of gassing up at home.

On a different scale, it's the same reason you get water out of the tap,
instead of bringing a bucket to the village well every time you need a
drink.

there are alternatives.......

use your motor vehicles to fuel your lawn and other type stuff.

many modern vehicles have a schrader valve under the hood for service
purposes. its a quick disconnect type device....

open hood, connect line, turn on key so electric fuel pump goes on and
your all set. ,minimize amount of gasoline around but still keep some
5 gallon cans... ideally if you have a pick up you could add saddle
tanks, and use the pick up as your fueling station

just quit filling the 55 gallon drum, or if you want to fill it and
add fuel stabilizer..... it can sit for at least a couple years.
always be prepared

neighborhood wars are never a good thing....... everyone looses
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement

worker bee wrote:

Why can't you fill your car at the gas station like everybody
else???.

I gave 2 reasons in my last post why he might be doing this.

it's just so very much easier to fill up once every two months
at the filling station.

It's all about the sheer convenience of gassing up at home.

I did not anticipate this third reason.

Do the fumes make you high or something?

On a different scale, it's the same reason you get water out of
the tap, instead of bringing a bucket to the village well every
time you need a drink.

But you *are* bringing your bucket of gas back to your "village" by
doing this!

And last time I checked, not too many people have a gasoline pipeline
running to their home.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

On 12/3/2011 3:29 AM, worker bee wrote:
On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 19:10:12 -0800, bob haller wrote:
gasoline spoils very fast when it has 10% ethanol

Actually, as far as I can tell, gasoline doesn't spoil all 'that' fast.

I use up the entire 55 gallon drum in just a few weeks, depending on my
driving of course. It generally takes less than two months to use it all
up.

I might understand if you were buying when prices are low and using it
when prices are high. The whole thing sounds like way too much of a
hassle, more of a hassle than taking the car to the gas station.

Speaking of buying low, I paid $2.99/gallon earlier this week.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

worker bee wrote:

NOBODY but nobody can tell me how LONG gasoline REALLY lasts but EVERYONE
I talk to says two months is just fine. I even called Chevron and they
said there is no problem using their reformulated California gas months
after it was dispensed. They said WATER is the main culprit in gasoline
going bad - and they said that as long as you keep water out of the tank,
it should easily last the time I'm using it. They said heat also matters,
but, at outside temperatures, it doesn't matter as much as water does.

I don't know how long you can get away with, but I know that I can store
gas for the mower in September and it's marginal but usable in March.
So I would guess that is about the limit without adding a stabilizer.
--scott

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 07:32:03 -0500, Norminn wrote:
his son took one of his gas cans and put it inside the condo! The FD
enforced .. very nicely .. using the right kind of can, away from the
structure.

I understand. Out here, everyone does 'something' against code.

For example, you're not supposed to grade more than a certain number of
cubic yards of soil - but of course, nobody can even see you with a
bulldozer, so people grade all the time.

Every once in a while a neighbor complains and they put a stop to it and
stop them from touching the land for a certain number of years.

Likewise with cutting trees. Every single tree over a given diameter is a
protected tree. You're supposed to apply for a permit to cut, even
diseased or fallen trees (although the permit will be granted for sure
for those).

If a neighbor complains, the inspector will come out and cite you for
cutting down your own tree!

Similarly, there are quite a few 'unapproved auxiliary buildings' out
here that have electricity or which are greater than 120 square feet.
These buildings just go up without anyone but your one or two neighbors
noticing the hammering and sawing noises. Since it's a scenic zoned area,
you have to be away from the road by quite a distance (I don't remember
how many hundreds of feet but someone once told me what it was and I was
shocked at how far from the road it must be to be legal.)

Most of these well-lit too-close-to-the-road illegal sheds are completely
ignored - but if someone calls the inspector out on you, you have to take
it down.

There's even a guy whose pool layed unfinished for five years which I was
told by a neighbor was because he tried to build it without getting it
inspected.

Even the lines to 'my' built-in gas-fired barbeque I was told wasn't to
code when the propane guy first inspected the house to fill up my new
1,000 gallon tank that I added after putting in a concrete pad.
Apparently the previous owner put in a rather large pool shower &
equipment room and barbeque pad without getting permitted and nobody
complained yet.

Another neighbor had called code enf. about attic rats

Wow. I didn't know rats were a code violation. I have those big rat traps
all over the basement! I get a rat a week on average and keep a jar of
peanut butter in the garage just to bait the traps.

We do have vector control guys out here. There are three types.

One does mosquitoes. One does rodents & snakes. The third does bigger
stuff like the mountain lions and deer and coyotes.

When the neighbor was foreclosed on, he put mosquitoe fish in their green
pool and koi pond to eat the buggers and put up a big sign "DO NOT REMOVE
THESE FISH" right next to the pool - so either the vector control
helicoptor noticed the green pool or someone must have asked them to look
at the pool.

As for the rodent inspector, I guess he would be the one to suggest there
are rats, but, there are quite a few mice, moles or groundhogs (I never
can tell which they are), rabbits, and rats out here that I wonder what
you can possibly do that's illegal to attract them. Our garbage goes out
weekly in three very large bins - blue for recycling, green for
landscaping, & gray for trash (which is almost always empty as I can't
imagine what goes in that bin other than food-soiled items not worth
cleaning for reclying and not worth putting in the compost pile).

Likewise for the mountain lion guy. There's not really much he can do
except tell you to fence your lifestock with a tall fence that has an
overhang to protect the top. But I don't have livestock so I don't know
what reason someone would call code enforcement on me for that. Out here,
you can't shoot a mountain lion unless it's threatening you or your
property anyway. We actually see them probably once every few years but
we hear about them in the news about once every few months overall.

So, I guess I'm wholeheartedly agreeing with you.

We live in glass houses. There must be a code violation or two on almost
every property out here, especially since I don't even KNOW all the codes
(for example, I can't imagine what rat codes I might be violating just by
setting the numerous traps).
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement

On Dec 3, 9:30*am, Home Guy wrote:
bugalugs wrote:
[...]

I can think of another reason. How about he's not buying the gas at
a gas station but stealing it from some jobsite?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

Here's an interesting story about a guy siphoning gas from his boat when
a static spark ignited the fumes.

http://www.caller.com/news/2011/nov/...on-motor-boat/

You're certainly free to do what you want but I'll fuel my car at the
gas station.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

On Dec 3, 9:43*am, worker bee wrote:
On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 05:21:08 -0800, wrote:
I suspect that with someone who is doing what you say you're doing there
is probably plenty more you're doing to **** off your neighbor.

I don't disagree we're not at all on speaking terms - but that has
nothing to do with the convenience of filling up at home.

I never saw anyone trucking gasoline home in 5 gallon cans
and maintaining a 55 gallon drum in their backyard to routinely
fill their autos.

I have no idea how many 'other' people prefer the convenience of filling
up at home. My friends astounded me when I told them because they
considered it 'additional work'. I consider it less work. Especially for
my wife who hates going to the filling station.

I guess it's all in your perspective of 'work' or 'effort'. To me, it's
trivial to fill up once every six weeks (or so). It just takes a bit
longer to pull the cans out of the pickup bed and fill them - but
otherwise, it's less work for my wife (for sure) and just a bit less work
for me (since I only have to fill up away from home once every six weeks)..

As for being the same as using a gas station, it's not. *Gas stations
have been required to have vapor recovery systems for years now.

Gas stations fill up thousands of cars a month. I fill up only a few
times a month. Big difference in the need for vapor recovery nozzles.

However, I 'could' add that little rubber vapor recovery boot to the
nozzle if I wanted to pay the extra hundred dollars for it. But, not only
is there no law saying I must do so, it's my understanding that there are
still states out there that don't even bother for their thousands of gas
stations.

I may be wrong though. Are there still states that do NOT have a rubber
boot around every gas pump nozzle?

it sounds pretty loony to me.

I realize you're being sincere - and - I know you're a major contributor
to the alt.home.repair newsgroup, so I respect your opinion. And, I wish
to debate that, serious, with you.

Bear in mind, ALL my friends think the same way as you do, so I do
understand that you may think it loony. However, I don't. I really don't.

I liken it, albeit I'm perhaps pushing the analogies a bit to far to why
you have a well to deliver water to your faucet instead of driving down
to the village well to carry a bucket home every day.

Or, why you buy canned food so you don't have to go to the village to buy
fresh food every day.

Or why you stock up on batteries in case the power goes out and the
generator doesn't kick in during a power outage - instead of just driving
to the center of town to pick up batteries during open hours.

Or why you have more than one set of clothes instead of just washing the
same pair every day.

Or why you bring more firewood into the house than you need so you don't
have to go outside every time you run out of wood in the fireplace.

To me, it's the same concept. I do realize that most of you don't think
this way, but some of you don't have solar panels, a whole-house electric
generator, 1,500 gallons of propane tanks, multiple wells, a septic
system, solar pool heaters, etc., for the 'utilities' of your house
either.

For me, it's simply one more household utility that needs to be
replenished every six weeks. (I wish I could go longer but regulatory
problems kick in once you reach tank sizes of 60 and 260 gallons).

Do you at least see a 'hint' of my thinking (if not the convenience, per
se)?

Sorry, but no. I don't see any convenience in trucking home 5 gallon
cans of gasoline, emptying it into a 55 gallon drum, pumping it out,
etc.. That compared to just driving to a gas station like the rest of
us.
Sounds like an irrational obsession to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

In article ,
worker bee wrote:

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 23:35:44 +1300, bugalugs wrote:
Why can't you fill your car at the gas station like everybody else???.

Other than the unexpected inspector visits, it's just so very much easier
to fill up once every two months at the filling station.

It's all about the sheer convenience of gassing up at home.

To each his own, but for the most part it seems infinitely easier to
schlep down to the gas station than to fill up a bunch of 10 gallon gas
cans, hoist them into the drum one at a time, and then put them back
until the next time. YYM(obviously)V

On a different scale, it's the same reason you get water out of the tap,
instead of bringing a bucket to the village well every time you need a
drink.

Not even close unless you tap into the gas pipeline running under your
house. Actually what you are doing seems to be REALLY close to going to
the village.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

On Dec 2, 6:36*pm, worker bee wrote:
[...]

Yes!!! Don't do it. Neighborhood fueds never turn out well. Find out
who is doing it and charge him with harassment. You should lhave been
documenting all that with dates, names, details from teh 2nd
occurance.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

On Dec 3, 7:00*am, Tony Miklos wrote:
On 12/3/2011 3:29 AM, worker bee wrote:

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 19:10:12 -0800, bob haller wrote:
gasoline spoils very fast when it has 10% ethanol

Actually, as far as I can tell, gasoline doesn't spoil all 'that' fast.

I use up the entire 55 gallon drum in just a few weeks, depending on my
driving of course. It generally takes less than two months to use it all
up.

I might understand if you were buying when prices are low and using it
when prices are high. *The whole thing sounds like way too much of a
hassle, more of a hassle than taking the car to the gas station.

Speaking of buying low, I paid $2.99/gallon earlier this week.

My only method of beating the system is to keep all tanks full as
prices are rising and as near empty as practical when they are
dropping = dollar cost averaging.

I could beat the system somewhat if I could haul a decent size tank
across the state line. Big difference in fuel taxes over there.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

On Dec 3, 6:02*am, worker bee wrote:
On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 23:35:44 +1300, bugalugs wrote:
Why can't you fill your car at the gas station like everybody else???.

Other than the unexpected inspector visits, it's just so very much easier
to fill up once every two months at the filling station.

It's all about the sheer convenience of gassing up at home.

On a different scale, it's the same reason you get water out of the tap,
instead of bringing a bucket to the village well every time you need a
drink.

What convenience. I'll bet it takes you _longer_ to fill at home than
it would at the station and you don't make special trips to gas up,
just stop as you are going by anyhow. All that dicking aorund with
cans, etc. is taking you a lot longer overall.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement

On Dec 3, 8:16*am, "
wrote:
On Dec 3, 9:30*am, Home Guy wrote:

bugalugs wrote:
[...]

a gas station but stealing it from some jobsite?- Hide quoted text -

Bingo!

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement

On Dec 3, 6:57*am, Home Guy wrote:
worker bee wrote:
Why can't you fill your car at the gas station like everybody
else???.

I gave 2 reasons in my last post why he might be doing this.

it's just so very much easier to fill up once every two months
at the filling station.

It's all about the sheer convenience of gassing up at home.

I did not anticipate this third reason.

Do the fumes make you high or something?

On a different scale, it's the same reason you get water out of
the tap, instead of bringing a bucket to the village well every
time you need a drink.

But you *are* bringing your bucket of gas back to your "village" by
doing this!

And last time I checked, not too many people have a gasoline pipeline
running to their home.

With his reasoning I bet the next inspector toshow up will be from the
white coat place.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement

Tony Hwang wrote:

Hmmm
60 gal. of gas is more tan a big drumful.

Which got me thinking: *You'd better clear-out all that gas, because
the next step your neighbor is likely to take is to throw a cigarette
at it.

A burning cigarette will not ignite gasoline. But your point is well taken;
a thrown railroad flare will do the trick.

Horse ****! A burning cigarett _will_ ignite gas fumes. Yes, you can
put out a cigarette in a bucket of gas but you better know what the
conditions are.

1. Must be cold weather.
2. Bucket must be absolutely full.

Fumes are what starts the fire.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 06:33:32 -0600, HeyBub wrote:
If you reply to your neighbor's affronts with piddly responses, like
sending him a fire engine at 3:00 a.m., this tit-for-tat business will
go on for decades

I agree.

BTW, out here, they send the ENTIRE fire department on EVERY call! I'm
amazed they have all this money - but it's in their contract. No matter
what the call, EVERYONE must go, trucks and all!

* In the dark of the moon, plant some Marijuana shrubs in an out of the
way place on his property. Wait a week. Call the fuzz.

Interestingly, there are legal pot farms out here.

The fence them in and put up identification at the entrance but you can
see them easily if you want and get in at night if you so desire.

I'm surprised all the high school kids don't crash them but I guess there
is enough legal pot around here that the kids don't need do that.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

On Dec 3, 12:38*am, worker bee wrote:
[...]

True as to the normal amount of vehicls and gas but we do it the
sensible way and don't waste a bunch of time schlepping cans around.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 09:30:36 -0500, Home Guy wrote:

There's only 2 reasons why someone might want to maintain a small store
of gas in his backyard:

1) It's a long way to the gas station, and you're going to burn a lot of
gas going there just to get your gas. So get as much as you can in one
trip and bring it all home for re-distribution.

2) You want to save a few bucks by buying gas when the price is low.
It's just that you want to buy a LOT of gas when the price is low -
enough to last you a month.

How about:
3) He has a lot of off road vehicles to fuel up. ATV, snowmobile,
tractor, etc.

As for filling up the family sedan, I hate pumping gas once so I'll be
damned if I'm going to do it twice. We do have a few full service
station in central MA though, lowest prices around too!

Here in CT it is 3.53 if I pump it myself. Across the border, I can
have it pumped for me and pay 3.31.

OK, that brings up reason 4). He buys a large quantity when traveling
to another state with cheaper gas and saves $25 a load.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 07:49:35 -0600, hls wrote:

I suggest you just let this thing cool off, and dont do anything that
will make it worse...

I do understand what you mean by cooling off.

In the beginning, you want to call the septic police on them (if such a
thing exists); then you cool off.

It's like when the obnoxious cops give you a ticket, and then try to give
you a lesson at the same time (meanwhile, they speed around like it's
nobody's business all the time, breaking the law left and right - and
they don't ever get called on the carpet until/unless they accidentally
kill someone - and even then - they put the kitchen knife in their hands).

Not one can be trusted, unfortunately. But that's a whole nother story.