Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C system advice for 2 story residential

We have a 40 year old Florida home 2450 sq. ft. with large windows;
also 1 acre lot with lots of big/tall oak shade trees. We currently
have an outside older 3 ton Trane A/C unit (rated 10 seer) which is
underpowered but with the help of a couple of upstairs window units we
do ok. I think its time to upgrade/replace the Trane; what I am
thinking is a 4 ton higher efficient (maybe 14 or 16) unit. My wife
thinks that if we replace with another 3 ton higher efficient AND
install a smaller unit for upstairs - programmable so that the bottom
primarily runs during the day and the top primarily at night (upstairs
is all bedrooms) we would possibly be more efficient and cooler.
Obviously big up front install costs for upstairs unit but if we are
willing to absorb those - is this usually the more efficient way to
go? Thanks in advance - Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have a 40 year old Florida home 2450 sq. ft. with large windows;
also 1 acre lot with lots of big/tall oak shade trees. We currently
have an outside older 3 ton Trane A/C unit (rated 10 seer) which is
underpowered but with the help of a couple of upstairs window units we
do ok. I think its time to upgrade/replace the Trane; what I am
thinking is a 4 ton higher efficient (maybe 14 or 16) unit. My wife
thinks that if we replace with another 3 ton higher efficient AND
install a smaller unit for upstairs - programmable so that the bottom
primarily runs during the day and the top primarily at night (upstairs
is all bedrooms) we would possibly be more efficient and cooler.
Obviously big up front install costs for upstairs unit but if we are
willing to absorb those - is this usually the more efficient way to
go? Thanks in advance - Bill

I'm in a similar boat, 3 ton unit with one window unit upstairs, but in a
cooler climate and about 3500 sq. ft. South facing upstairs rooms can reach
85+ with the AC running. The best solution would be a multi unit mini-split,
but it comes in around 12K. A 4 ton unit might help some, but our ductwork
sucks, so a mini split would be a better option. I bought a portable last
year, but the aluminum wiring couldn't handle the load over the long haul.
Plus it's a PITA to use with the casement windows.

Depending on your situation a separate unit for upstairs is probably the way
to go. I might buy a single mini for the one room in the short term.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill Stock wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
roups.com...

We have a 40 year old Florida home 2450 sq. ft. with large windows;
also 1 acre lot with lots of big/tall oak shade trees. We currently
have an outside older 3 ton Trane A/C unit (rated 10 seer) which is
underpowered but with the help of a couple of upstairs window units we
do ok. I think its time to upgrade/replace the Trane; what I am
thinking is a 4 ton higher efficient (maybe 14 or 16) unit. My wife
thinks that if we replace with another 3 ton higher efficient AND
install a smaller unit for upstairs - programmable so that the bottom
primarily runs during the day and the top primarily at night (upstairs
is all bedrooms) we would possibly be more efficient and cooler.
Obviously big up front install costs for upstairs unit but if we are
willing to absorb those - is this usually the more efficient way to
go? Thanks in advance - Bill

YES.

I'm in a similar boat, 3 ton unit with one window unit upstairs, but in a
cooler climate and about 3500 sq. ft. South facing upstairs rooms can reach
85+ with the AC running. The best solution would be a multi unit mini-split,
but it comes in around 12K. A 4 ton unit might help some, but our ductwork
sucks, so a mini split would be a better option. I bought a portable last
year, but the aluminum wiring couldn't handle the load over the long haul.
Plus it's a PITA to use with the casement windows.

Depending on your situation a separate unit for upstairs is probably the way
to go. I might buy a single mini for the one room in the short term.

Window units cost a lot less than mini-splits, plus smaller BTUH
ratings, and a small bedroom does not need a lot of BTUH to cool at night.
Do a manual J on each room to get a number on heat-gain.
http://www.udarrell.com/aircondition...harting.h tml

Half-Ton Room A/C - Cools over 900 sq.ft. @ 104 HT Index - Daytime,
entire first floor in older 1930's house
- udarrell

http://www.udarrell.com/
http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.htm ***
http://www.udarrell.com/recognizing_real_enemies.html
http://jesuschristsavior.net/Beatitudes.html
Reality Is Not An Easy Thing To Be Confronted With, or to Accept!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 11:10 pm, udarrell wrote:
Bill Stock wrote:
roups.com...

Do a manual J on each room to get a number on heat-gain.http://www.udarrell.com/aircondition...ure_btuh_chart...

Half-Ton Room A/C - Cools over 900 sq.ft. @ 104 HT Index - Daytime,
entire first floor in older 1930's house
- udarrell

THE REAL POLITICAL ISSUES and WISDOM BASED PEOPLE EMPOWERMENThttp://www.udarrell.com/http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.htm***http://www.udarrell.com/recognizing_...eatitudes.html
Reality Is Not An Easy Thing To Be Confronted With, or to Accept!- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the response - I guess what I'm really asking is if we are
willing to "eat" the installation costs, would our power bill go up or
down with 2nd unit upstairs? We have 4 bedrooms that each will have a
window unit vs the central unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just cause your system has a 3 ton name plate, doesn't guarantee
you're getting three tons of cooling. I'm remembering a call I
had last year. the fellow had a 3.5 ton AC, and it wasn't cooling
the house. He was thinking maybe needed 5 tons. I asked his
permission to service the unit, and when I finished, it was
cooling just fine.

You may replace the system if you like, but it's possible that a
good servicing would get you by for several more years.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

oups.com...