Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech
worker bee worker bee is offline

Default Interesting story about home automobile gasoline fillingstationsin residential property

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 22:01:09 -0500, Home Guy wrote:
Do you keep a lot of gas cans on your property - in full public view?

I have 10 five-gallon Blitz gasoline containers & a 55 gallon drum where
I pour them into, about once a month or so (as needed). So most of the
time the 10 red cans are empty (caps loose, open to the atmosphere) and
the 55-gallon drum is how I dispense gasoline to two vehicles with a
gasoline pump.

The neighbor can see into my back yard, as I can see into his as there
are few surrounding trees - only small shrubs which afford no great means
of privacy unfortunately.

Do you handle a lot of gas cans (moving them around) on your property?

Once a month or so, I fill the 10 5-gallon portable gasoline containers
at a filling station and use them to refill the 55-gallon drum. Other
than that, they don't 'move' around my property.

Is there a constant odor of gasoline hanging around your property that
the neighbor can smell? Or can the neighbor see you and your gas cans
without too much effort?

No way would there be an odor. There is way too much wind for that. Plus
there are no vapors to speak of that one could smell. They're all closed
containers when full. However, the neighbor 'can' see the whole operation
from where he sits as he is slightly elevated over me and there are scant
foliage to hide my perfectly legal activities.

The average home owner might have a few 5-gallon cans for lawn mowers or
other small gas-powered engines - but it sounds like you dick around
with so much gas that you must make a living out of it somehow.

No. I just fill my vehicles as needed. It takes about four to eight weeks
(average might be about six, but it varies) to empty the 55-gallon drum,
which necessitates a refill.

Do you own/operate a yard-maintenance or landscaping company
(lots of lawn mowers, small tractors, etc)? Or construction
equipment (back-hoe, etc)?

No. Just your average tools. Riding mower. 2-stroke blower. Stile chain
saw. Four-bladed edger & cultivator. Weed trimmer. 2-inch wood chipper.
Just the normal stuff. Why do you ask?

Or maybe you have lots of recreational vehicles? Boats or other
watercraft? Dirt bikes or ATV's?

One motorcycle. Two cars. A half dozen regular yard engines. Normal
stuff. But they all use gasoline to the tune of roughly fifteen or so
gallons a week (give or take a few).