Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

Default Interesting story about home automobile gasoline filling stationsin residential property

On Dec 3, 9:43*am, worker bee wrote:
On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 05:21:08 -0800, wrote:
I suspect that with someone who is doing what you say you're doing there
is probably plenty more you're doing to **** off your neighbor.

I don't disagree we're not at all on speaking terms - but that has
nothing to do with the convenience of filling up at home.

I never saw anyone trucking gasoline home in 5 gallon cans
and maintaining a 55 gallon drum in their backyard to routinely
fill their autos.

I have no idea how many 'other' people prefer the convenience of filling
up at home. My friends astounded me when I told them because they
considered it 'additional work'. I consider it less work. Especially for
my wife who hates going to the filling station.

I guess it's all in your perspective of 'work' or 'effort'. To me, it's
trivial to fill up once every six weeks (or so). It just takes a bit
longer to pull the cans out of the pickup bed and fill them - but
otherwise, it's less work for my wife (for sure) and just a bit less work
for me (since I only have to fill up away from home once every six weeks)..

As for being the same as using a gas station, it's not. *Gas stations
have been required to have vapor recovery systems for years now.

Gas stations fill up thousands of cars a month. I fill up only a few
times a month. Big difference in the need for vapor recovery nozzles.

However, I 'could' add that little rubber vapor recovery boot to the
nozzle if I wanted to pay the extra hundred dollars for it. But, not only
is there no law saying I must do so, it's my understanding that there are
still states out there that don't even bother for their thousands of gas
stations.

I may be wrong though. Are there still states that do NOT have a rubber
boot around every gas pump nozzle?

it sounds pretty loony to me.

I realize you're being sincere - and - I know you're a major contributor
to the alt.home.repair newsgroup, so I respect your opinion. And, I wish
to debate that, serious, with you.

Bear in mind, ALL my friends think the same way as you do, so I do
understand that you may think it loony. However, I don't. I really don't.

I liken it, albeit I'm perhaps pushing the analogies a bit to far to why
you have a well to deliver water to your faucet instead of driving down
to the village well to carry a bucket home every day.

Or, why you buy canned food so you don't have to go to the village to buy
fresh food every day.

Or why you stock up on batteries in case the power goes out and the
generator doesn't kick in during a power outage - instead of just driving
to the center of town to pick up batteries during open hours.

Or why you have more than one set of clothes instead of just washing the
same pair every day.

Or why you bring more firewood into the house than you need so you don't
have to go outside every time you run out of wood in the fireplace.

To me, it's the same concept. I do realize that most of you don't think
this way, but some of you don't have solar panels, a whole-house electric
generator, 1,500 gallons of propane tanks, multiple wells, a septic
system, solar pool heaters, etc., for the 'utilities' of your house
either.

For me, it's simply one more household utility that needs to be
replenished every six weeks. (I wish I could go longer but regulatory
problems kick in once you reach tank sizes of 60 and 260 gallons).

Do you at least see a 'hint' of my thinking (if not the convenience, per
se)?

Sorry, but no. I don't see any convenience in trucking home 5 gallon
cans of gasoline, emptying it into a 55 gallon drum, pumping it out,
etc.. That compared to just driving to a gas station like the rest of
us.
Sounds like an irrational obsession to me.