Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Default Interesting story about home automobile gasoline fillingstationsin residential property

On Dec 5, 11:39Â*am, "Stormin Mormon" wrote:
That sure gives me a warm feeling. I doubt it will ever work. Think of the
EMF needed. Wipe out every floppy disk for miles around, and every cassette
tape, or reel to reel tape.

People thought N. Tesla was crazy too. :-)

"dsi1" wrote in message

How about we just use induction charging. You just park over the pad
and you get out of the car and do nothing. Would that work? š¡ðŸš—

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

On Dec 5, 11:45*am, "Stormin Mormon" wrote:
Bummer. I'm getting younger. And, tomorrow I'll be needing a baba and a
nappy. Today I need a sippy cup, burp, and nap.

Actually, I could go for a baba and nappy right now. You ain't got
nothing over me!

"dsi1" wrote in message

On 12/5/2011 5:44 AM, Harry K wrote:
???how is going to the gas station a big drag "these days" as opposed
to doing the same thing years ago? *I see no difference today from 50
years ago except that now I have to pump my own gas.

Harry K

I'm getting older.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
. ..
Got a URL? No, I've never heard of that.

"Steve B" wrote in message
Ever hear of not top posting?

Yes. It is called plonk.com. I've been tolerating you long enough now, as
you occasionally have something relevant to post. And you even took your
religious sig line off. However, if you fail to see the offensiveness of
top posting your few word ootsie cutesie responses followed by an unsnipped
200 line conversation, there is no hope for you.

I refuse to read anything you have to post from now on.

You may leave now.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Dec 5, 11:49*am, "Stormin Mormon" wrote:
The military has that option on some air planes. I know, I saw it in a movie
once. Iron Eagle, was it?

No, that was "Transformers V: Revenge of the Hand-Held Devices."

"dsi1" wrote in message

They can embed induction coils in the roadways so you can charge your
cars while driving too. I'd like to see gasoline cars do that! No
seriously... I'd like to be able to gas up my car while driving. That
would be pretty damn exciting!

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Dec 5, 11:48*am, "Stormin Mormon" wrote:
You should be careful, leaving yourself open with straight lines like that.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 08:56:43 -0800 (PST), dsi1
wrote:

I hate filling my own tank, especially in the winter. *I don't know
which is worse though. *If I had a stupid Volt, I'd have to plug it in
every night, then plug it in every day at work. *So, it is easier to
fill with gas once a week or plug and unplug 10 to 12 times a week?

How about we just use induction charging. You just park over the pad
and you get out of the car and do nothing. Would that work? ??

That would work. It would have to be reasonably cost effective
though. The Volt payback is in decades compared to a similar gas
powered car.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 16:17:59 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

How about hanging up your key ring, or putting it in your pocket?
Pain in the ass, ain't it?

But it can be done at 68 to 70 degrees indoors, not at 10 degrees and
a 30 mph wind like re-fueling.

You don't have to plug your Volt in at work.
If your work round trip is beyond the the Volt range, you have choices
without plugging in at work.
1. Don't buy a Volt.
2. Let the IC engine kick in for part of the trip.

--Vic

I'm taking option 1.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 08:08:51 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I know electric heat is more expensive than fuel heat (at least in NYS). I'm
guessing electric travel is more expensive. And then, the question of how
many miles on a fill up, and how expensive the batteries when they die. With
all those concerns, I'll stick with gasoline or diesel vehicles.

It is cheaper to run as the IC engine is not very efficient. The
initial cost though, makes it prohibitive. I had the cost some time
back and the payback for me is something like 28 years. I forget the
numbers so I'm not going to guess here.

From what I've read, the heat and AC is not very good either, as you'd
expect. I want some comfort in my 25 mile commute.

If the initial cost can be competitive in a small car, it would be
good for the city commuter, the trip to the supermarket type of trip.
That day may come, but it is not here yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

For temptation is easy enough to find, all on my own.

"dsi1" wrote in message
On Dec 5, 11:48 am, "Stormin Mormon" wrote:
You should be careful, leaving yourself open with straight lines like
that.
I'm really tempted. Honest, I am!

Lead us not into temptation...

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 07:44:21 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

Not having to go to the gas station ever again is one of the great
appeals of all-electric cars. These days, going to the gas station is a
big drag.

???how is going to the gas station a big drag "these days" as opposed
to doing the same thing years ago? I see no difference today from 50
years ago except that now I have to pump my own gas.

Harry K

Being 50 years older is one big reason. When I was 16 I could do a
lot of things easer than I can at 66. I could even do some of them
two or three times a day.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 12:56:35 -0800 (PST), dsi1
wrote:

On Dec 5, 9:47*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
dsi1 wrote:
On Dec 5, 1:03 am, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

-snip-

I hate filling my own tank, especially in the winter. I don't know
which is worse though. If I had a stupid Volt, I'd have to plug it in
every night, then plug it in every day at work. So, it is easier to
fill with gas once a week or plug and unplug 10 to 12 times a week?

How about we just use induction charging. You just park over the pad
and you get out of the car and do nothing. Would that work? ??

Do you mean 'Will it work?" -- or 'will it work for Ed?'?

I just saw this this morning on ZDNet-http://www.zdnet.com/blog/green/6-high-profile-trials-of-wireless-car...http://preview.tinyurl.com/csep5q2

Commercial tests of a couple different systems will start in 2012.

So apparently it *will* work. * It would work for me. *Can't speak for
Ed.

Jim

They can embed induction coils in the roadways so you can charge your
cars while driving too. I'd like to see gasoline cars do that! No
seriously... I'd like to be able to gas up my car while driving. That
would be pretty damn exciting!

What a total waste of resources.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

hOn Mon, 05 Dec 2011 16:09:42 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/green/6-hi...s-rivers;item0
http://preview.tinyurl.com/csep5q2

Commercial tests of a couple different systems will start in 2012.

So apparently it *will* work. It would work for me. Can't speak for
Ed.

My Oral-B electric toothbrush uses inductive charging.
It works.

Try driving your toothbrush to work.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 15:11:27 -0800 (PST), dsi1
wrote:

On Dec 5, 11:39*am, "Stormin Mormon" wrote:
That sure gives me a warm feeling. I doubt it will ever work. Think of the
EMF needed. Wipe out every floppy disk for miles around, and every cassette
tape, or reel to reel tape.

People thought N. Tesla was crazy too. :-)

He certainly ended up that way.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

wrote:

My Oral-B electric toothbrush uses inductive charging.
It works.

Try driving your toothbrush to work.

After you brush your teeth with your car.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

dsi1 wrote:
[...]

*Induction charging is only efficient if the gap between the charger
and the charged device is very small or the frequency is very high.

You might be right but my guess is that the energy is not wasted if
not transferred. I would assume the frequency would be somewhat high.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

wrote:
I know electric heat is more expensive than fuel heat (at least in NYS). I'm
guessing electric travel is more expensive. And then, the question of how
many miles on a fill up, and how expensive the batteries when they die. With
all those concerns, I'll stick with gasoline or diesel vehicles.

It is cheaper to run as the IC engine is not very efficient. *The
initial cost though, makes it prohibitive. *I had the cost some time
back and the payback for me is something like 28 years. *I forget the
numbers so I'm not going to guess here.

From what I've read, the heat and AC is not very good either, as you'd
expect. *I want some comfort in my 25 mile commute.

If the initial cost can be competitive in a small car, it would be
good for the city commuter, the trip to the supermarket type of trip.
That day may come, but it is not here yet.

My assumption is that the electric car will come to pass simply
because it's going to be a lot cheaper and simpler and faster and
more profitable to manufacture and sell. Technology moves fast these
days.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

wrote:

On Dec 5, 11:39 am, "Stormin Mormon" wrote:
That sure gives me a warm feeling. I doubt it will ever work. Think of the
EMF needed. Wipe out every floppy disk for miles around, and every cassette
tape, or reel to reel tape.

People thought N. Tesla was crazy too. :-)

He certainly ended up that way.

His fans tend to be a little kooky...
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

dsi1 wrote:
[...]

No resources was wasted in the posting of this message...
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Dec 5, 5:02Â*pm, "Stormin Mormon" wrote:
So, do you boys discuss sex with center posters?

I'm sorry, my religion does not allow me to discuss such matters in
mixed company. For was
It not Jesus that said "thou shall not center post?" 🎅

"dsi1" wrote in message

How about we just use induction charging. You just park over the pad
and you get out of the car and do nothing. Would that work? š¡ðŸš—

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

In article ,
dsi1 wrote:
...snipped...
My assumption is that the electric car will come to pass simply
because it's going to be a lot cheaper and simpler and faster and
more profitable to manufacture and sell. Technology moves fast these
days.

No doubt we will have a model that flies, too, before long!

plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

I think the electric car is being forced on us, by politicians who have
little connection with reality. And want us to have the least effective
consumer goods that can be forced on us. Detergents without phosphate, and
the list goes on from there.

"dsi1" wrote in message

My assumption is that the electric car will come to pass simply
because it's going to be a lot cheaper and simpler and faster and
more profitable to manufacture and sell. Technology moves fast these
days.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Being 50 years older is one big reason. When I was 16 I could do a
lot of things easer than I can at 66. I could even do some of them
two or three times a day.

You mean two or three times a NIGHT, don't you? On the other hand, it now
takes me all night to do what I used to do all night.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

On Dec 3, 9:36*am, bob haller wrote:
just quit filling the 55 gallon drum, or if you want to fill it and
add fuel stabilizer..... it can sit for at least a couple years.
always be prepared

neighborhood wars are never a good thing....... everyone looses

While what he's doing isn't necessarily the most intelligent or
sensible thing to do, he is well within his rights to do it. There is
no reason to change a thing about what he's doing.

The neighbor is clearly vindictive and retaliating against the OP.
Giving in and getting rid of the drum won't help. The neighbor will
find something else to complain about.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement

On Dec 5, 11:43*am, Robert Macy wrote:
On Dec 2, 9:25*pm, Home Guy wrote:

worker bee wrote:
For about five years, I've been in an unfriendly situation with my
nearest neighbor

Tony Hwang wrote:
Hmmm
60 gal. of gas is more tan a big drumful.

Which got me thinking: *You'd better clear-out all that gas, because the
next step your neighbor is likely to take is to throw a cigarette at it..

We once had a fire started near our garage by an unknwon arsonist. The
fire threatened two homes [ours & adjoining neighbor's] took out two
buildings [including our garage] and three trees 40+ ft high trees
with trunks so big two people would have to join arms to surround the
trunks. The flames were 60 to 80 feet in the air and photos made
national coverage. *The fire was so involved one could easily get 3rd
degree burns being near it. In other words, BIG FIRE! *Inside the
garage on a shelf was a metal, federally approved, 5 gallon gasoline
container half full of petrol. *The car in the garage was totaled, the
paint all over the can burnt black and peeled off, but that can, and
its contents, remained intact! *The firemen were VERY skittish about
its presence. *So now I'm convinced to ALWAYS buy and use METAL fuel
storage containers, those things work!

Footnote on the garage damage the garage was originally built for
Model T, pre code construction, all redwood. *The fire damaged the
building so much it was of cousre condemned as dangerous, labeled such
and the cost/burden to destroy the structure fell upon me. I hired a
worker skilled at demolition and it took him TWO DAYS to dismantle the
building, it was holding together that well. *Probably could have
simply shingled over the roof and used it for another 80 years. *Oh
well.

The can didnt blow up because the air-fuel mixture was too rich to
ignite. Heating it just made it more so. Fumes escaping from the can
probably did burn as they mixed with air and was ignited.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Vic Smith wrote:

My Oral-B electric toothbrush uses inductive charging.
It works.

The thing about induction charging is that you get a lot of loss as the
distance increases... it's greater than inverse-square law loss.

Not so much of a problem for a system you keep in the garage where you can
position the thing so it's a quarter-inch away from the coil in the trunk
when you drive into it. Not very practical for use on the highway where you
have trouble maintaining a fairly close contact.
--scott
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

...snipped...

--
Â* Â* There is always an easy solution to every human problem -- neat,
Â* Â* plausible, and wrong." Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*(H L Mencken)

Â* Â* Â*Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.. lonestar. org

The old associate the electric car with the flying car ploy. Nice!
›½ðŸ‘Žš¡ðŸ‘
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

On Dec 6, 3:03Â*am, "Stormin Mormon" wrote:
I think the electric car is being forced on us, by politicians who have
little connection with reality. And want us to have the least effective
consumer goods that can be forced on us. Detergents without phosphate, and
the list goes on from there.

Sure, it might be forced on us but the electric has some advantages so
lets all try to grin and be happy! ðŸ˜

"dsi1" wrote in message

My assumption is that the electric car will come to pass simply
because it's going to be a lot cheaper and simpler and faster and
more profitable to manufacture and sell. Technology moves fast these
days.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Dec 5, 5:02 pm, "Stormin Mormon" wrote:
So, do you boys discuss sex with center posters?

I'm sorry, my religion does not allow me to discuss such matters in
mixed company. For was
It not Jesus that said "thou shall not center post?" Â*🎅

That's right! It was the stinkin' Roman's fault! They probably even
top posted that "King of the Jews" stuff. Where were that netcops when
we needed them?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Dec 6, 6:41*am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Vic Smith wrote:

My Oral-B electric toothbrush uses inductive charging.
It works.

The thing about induction charging is that you get a lot of loss as the
distance increases... it's greater than inverse-square law loss.

Not so much of a problem for a system you keep in the garage where you can
position the thing so it's a quarter-inch away from the coil in the trunk
when you drive into it. *Not very practical for use on the highway where you
have trouble maintaining a fairly close contact.
--scott

How about a passive changing system where permanent magnets are
embedded in the road on downhill slopes so you can be charging free of
err.... charge? :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

dsi1 wrote:

[...]

I'd bet on it being wasted, some of it has to be "tramsferred", think
radio or TV transmitters.

Particularly if the coils have to be laid end to end* and the cars are
spaced a quarter mile or so apart.

* "If all the girls who attended the Yale prom were laid end to end -- I
wouldn't be a bit surprised." (a Dorothy Parker quote)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Vic Smith wrote:

My Oral-B electric toothbrush uses inductive charging.
It works.

The thing about induction charging is that you get a lot of loss as the
distance increases... it's greater than inverse-square law loss.

Not so much of a problem for a system you keep in the garage where you can
position the thing so it's a quarter-inch away from the coil in the trunk
when you drive into it. Not very practical for use on the highway where you
have trouble maintaining a fairly close contact.
--scott

How about a passive changing system where permanent magnets are
embedded in the road on downhill slopes so you can be charging free of
err.... charge? :-)

Doesn't sound as efficient as just letting the car's wheels drive the
electric motor in generator mode.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

dsi1 wrote:

wrote:

On Dec 5, 11:39 am, "Stormin Mormon" wrote:

That sure gives me a warm feeling. I doubt it will ever work. Think of the
EMF needed. Wipe out every floppy disk for miles around, and every cassette
tape, or reel to reel tape.

People thought N. Tesla was crazy too. :-)

He certainly ended up that way.

His fans tend to be a little kooky...

Did you see David Bowie's portrayal of him in the movie "The Prestige"?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech

wrote:

Not having to go to the gas station ever again is one of the great
appeals of all-electric cars. These days, going to the gas station is a
big drag.

???how is going to the gas station a big drag "these days" as opposed
to doing the same thing years ago? I see no difference today from 50
years ago except that now I have to pump my own gas.

Harry K

Being 50 years older is one big reason. When I was 16 I could do a
lot of things easer than I can at 66. I could even do some of them
two or three times a day.

I know what you mean. What my wife and I used to do for hours now takes
us four hours.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Dec 5, 5:02 pm, "Stormin Mormon" wrote:
So, do you boys discuss sex with center posters?

I'm sorry, my religion does not allow me to discuss such matters in
mixed company. For was
It not Jesus that said "thou shall not center post?" =C2=A0=F0=9F=8E=85

That's right! It was the stinkin' Roman's fault! They probably even
top posted that "King of the Jews" stuff. Where were that netcops when
we needed them?

Wadya mean "stinkin' Romans"??... Romans didn't stink... they invented
plumbing!

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

dsi1 wrote:

[...]

Beats the heck out of me if the idea would work.

* "If all the girls who attended the Yale prom were laid end to end -- I
wouldn't be a bit surprised." (a Dorothy Parker quote)

Oh, that Dorthy P.!

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Vic Smith wrote:

[...]

You're certainly right about that. AKA "regenerative braking" which is
essentially the same thing as laying miles of magnets under the roadway.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 12/6/2011 11:11 AM, jeff_wisnia wrote:
dsi1 wrote:

wrote:

On Dec 5, 11:39 am, "Stormin Mormon" wrote:

That sure gives me a warm feeling. I doubt it will ever work. Think
of the
EMF needed. Wipe out every floppy disk for miles around, and every
cassette
tape, or reel to reel tape.

People thought N. Tesla was crazy too. :-)

He certainly ended up that way.

His fans tend to be a little kooky...

Did you see David Bowie's portrayal of him in the movie "The Prestige"?

Jeff

I did see that movie but I don't remember much about it. I'll have to
check it out again. Thanks.