Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wet walls in residential property.

The property was constructed in approximately 1920s. located in East
London. I have symptons such as the front lounge room wall in one
corner at the front of the property which is wet to tocuh when it
rains, from the floor to about one meter height. This also occurs
upstairs in a front bedroom, the wetness on the front wall starts from
the floor to about one meter and half height which occurs when it
rains.

It seems abit odd that on both the ground and first floor the dampness
affects the area from the floor level to half way up the wall.

Looking from the outside there are no obvious signs of rain water
getting into the walls, the darin pipes do keep the water away.

Has anyone any idea what my problem might be and what I should do
about it.

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

de_ja wrote:
The property was constructed in approximately 1920s. located in East
London. I have symptons such as the front lounge room wall in one
corner at the front of the property which is wet to tocuh when it
rains, from the floor to about one meter height. This also occurs
upstairs in a front bedroom, the wetness on the front wall starts from
the floor to about one meter and half height which occurs when it
rains.

It seems abit odd that on both the ground and first floor the dampness
affects the area from the floor level to half way up the wall.

Looking from the outside there are no obvious signs of rain water
getting into the walls, the darin pipes do keep the water away.

Has anyone any idea what my problem might be and what I should do
about it.

Thanks

Is it in the same corner of each room? - that is to say, if it was an
overflowing down pipe, would this fit in with where the dampness is? - itm
could be coming down the cavity if you have finlock gutters, these were
popular round about 1900 - 1930 in various parts of the UK, although some
places don't seem to have any at all, see some pictures he
http://snipurl.com/ubx9i

most of those in the above link refer to concrete ones, but sandstone ones
were used back then and the principles are virtually the same, the stone
channels are laid on top of the wall for the roof to drain into, and the
channels were often lined with lead sheet, but sometimes not, and water gets
through the gaps where the stone channels meet, or even if they are lined
with lead, it sometimes deteriorates or gets stolen(!) and the water goes
through the gaps, down the cavity and can cause damp, especially where it
meets an obstacle, like first floor joists (your upstairs damp) and
downstairs joists or the bottom of the cavity (your downstairs damp).

Of course, all of the above would only apply to you if you have stone or
concrete gutters, if you haven't, then whatever your gutter is made of has
deteriorated at the back edge (the bit you can't see from the front) and
water is pouring down the walls when it rains- - very little will reach the
down pipe.
Either this or the roof materials don't reach the gutter - possibly a broken
tile or slate has slipped down creating a void immediately before the
gutter.

HTH

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

de_ja wrote:
[...]

Just a few quick questions to clarify things:

1 Are the external walls stone or brick?
2 If they are brick, are they cavity - or solid walls [1] (9" or 13"
thick usually if they are solid)?
3 What is the internal wall finish - black mortar or gypsum plaster?
4 Are there any water pipes (waste or mains) running through the wall
near to, or directly above the damp patches.
5 Are these damp patches below any windows or near any wall vents

Ground Floor Damp:

Your description could indicate rising damp - usually caused by damaged DPC
(or lack of one) [2].

First Floor Damp:

This could be caused by water penetration through a defective external
window cill.

Other reasons could be water penetrating through (now) porous solid
brick/stone walls -- or across blockages in any cavity, dirty wall ties
[3] - or even water dropping down any cavity from a defective roof [4].

Could you also let the group know if there are any other 'unusual' features
in the construction of the property that may cause the problems

[1] If you don't know how to check for this, see the following Tinyurl
link and scroll down to the two wall diagrams at the bottom of the page.
http://tinyurl.com/yerqt7h

[2] Not guaranteed as it could be caused by other problems - such as
internal leaks running along the floor (look for wet or damp carpets etc).

[3] If that were the case, then it's probable that the walls would be
stained internally by small, brown patches (especially if it is a wall tie
problem or a brick or bit of rubble jammed across any cavity).

[4] Damaged eaves tiles, or underfelt (if fitted) or even a missing roof
tile which allows water to run down on top of and felt and dropping into
the cavity if the end of any felt has rotted.

These are some of the common causes and I hope this information may be of
some help.

Cash