Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement,rec.autos.tech
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Interesting story about home automobile gasoline filling stationsin residential property

On Dec 3, 12:38*am, worker bee wrote:
On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 20:45:40 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:
60 gal. of gas is more tan a big drumful. How come so much gas. in the
yard? Gas blend changes from season to season.

Actually, it's a 55 gallon drum and I don't seem to get even 50 gallons
into it, strangely enough. But I generally fill it before it goes empty
so I haven't filled it from empty since it was new a few years ago.

I use the gas up within two months (generally a month to a month and a
half is when I refill) so I really doubt the seasons matter all that much
- especially in California where there is really only one, maybe two at
most, seasons anyway. There is a cool dry summer and a slightly cooler
wetter winter - neither of which has a temperature swing you can't get in
a single day in most other northern parts of the country.

My gas tank is about 20 gallons. The wife's tank is about 20 gallons. The
bike is about 5 gallons. And the lawn mower and a half dozen other
engines around the yard takes another 5 gallons.

So, a single fillup (which in practice rarely happens) will empty out the
55-gallon drum. I don't see how this amount is any different than most of
you out there.

Don't you guys have a car for you, and one for the wife, and maybe a
secondary vehicle? Don't you have lawn mowers? Don't you have other yard
equipment? I would think 55 gallons is the bare minimum since all it does
is fill the tanks just once.

What I 'really' want is TWO 55 gallon drums. Actually, I'd love a 200
gallon tank - but once you get over 60 gallons, you start getting into
fire marshall permits & transportation permits and anything over 260
gallons for delivered fuel gets you into air resource board requirements.

So, 55 gallons seems a bare minimum, at least to me. Maybe you guys go to
the gas station a lot more than I do? Or you and your wife drive the same
car?

True as to the normal amount of vehicls and gas but we do it the
sensible way and don't waste a bunch of time schlepping cans around.

Harry K