Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.law-enforcement
Home Guy Home Guy is offline

Default Interesting story about home automobile gasoline fillingstationsinresidential property

bugalugs wrote:

Do you handle a lot of gas cans (moving them around) on your
property?

Once a month or so, I fill the 10 5-gallon portable gasoline
containers at a filling station and use them to refill the
55-gallon drum.

Why can't you fill your car at the gas station like everybody
else???.

Yea, I think that's what we're all trying to figure out at this point.

His neighbor was looking for a reason to call the authorities on him,
and didn't have to look far.

There's only 2 reasons why someone might want to maintain a small store
of gas in his backyard:

1) It's a long way to the gas station, and you're going to burn a lot of
gas going there just to get your gas. So get as much as you can in one
trip and bring it all home for re-distribution.

2) You want to save a few bucks by buying gas when the price is low.
It's just that you want to buy a LOT of gas when the price is low -
enough to last you a month.

I can't see either reason as being lucrative enough to justify the
hassle and the up-front cost in the tanks and pump. The additional risk
of having a large gas tank on your property is hard to quantify - and
just remember that it becomes more dangerous from an explosion pov the
more empty it gets.

Oh - your home insurance company might not like seeing this tank on your
property - you might want to check your insurance contract to see if
there's a limit as to how much gas they'll let you store before they
void the contract. If your neighbor was creative enough, he might try
to figure out who your property is insured with and give them an
anonymous call...