Old May 18th 19, 03:12 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Who makes the best woodworker's tape measure?

My old tape measure is just about done. I thought I'd get a Milwaukee since I like things they make, but the reviews are not that good. What is the best 16-foot tape measure?

Thanks.

Old May 18th 19, 05:28 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 17 May 2019 19:12:16 -0700 (PDT), Michael
wrote:

My old tape measure is just about done. I thought I'd get a Milwaukee since I like things they make, but the reviews are not that good. What is the best 16-foot tape measure?

Thanks.

I've had good luck with Stanley FatMax. I don't know how durable they
are--I tend to lose them long before they're worn out--but they do
everything I want them to do. Only real downside is that to get the
standout they achieve they've got a lot of dish in the tape.

If you want one that's flat, FastCap has several options, including
some that are made so you can write on them like a "story pole".
Old May 18th 19, 01:21 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/17/2019 10:12 PM, Michael wrote:
My old tape measure is just about done. I thought I'd get a Milwaukee since I like things they make, but the reviews are not that good. What is the best 16-foot tape measure?

I don't particularly care who makes my tapes, I have a ton of them. My
main gripe is all of them I have have 1/32" increments in the first
foot. This is useless, no, worse than useless, imo.

I seldom work on carpentry projects any more, but in my cabinet shop I
like a small tape, 12' is more than enough. I prefer Stanely, they
always made good tapes, and that's my goto tape, a 12' Stanley Power
lock. I also have a 16' Fastcap "old Standby" that is OK. The Fastcap
return spring is too strong. Stanley has prefect return spring tension.

Both of these have those dammed useless 1/32" markings in the first
foot. I hated those when I was young and could actually see them
clearly. I have zero problems making accurate marks between 1/16"
lines. I guess they figure if you measure more than a foot, you don't
need 1/32" accuracy.

Also, as I mentioned, I have a ton of tapes. One day I compared all of
them for accuracy. Stanley and Fastcap were right on, many of the others
were not. Doesn't matter much if you only use one tape, but keep that
in mind. Cheap tapes in the bargain barrel are generally inaccurate, but
good idea to check each tape you have.

--
Jack
Old May 18th 19, 02:54 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 17 May 2019 19:12:16 -0700, Michael wrote:

My old tape measure is just about done. I thought I'd get a Milwaukee
since I like things they make, but the reviews are not that good. What
is the best 16-foot tape measure?

Thanks.

You may wish to consider this one:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?
p=65357&cat=1,46158,75230,75235&ap=1
Old May 18th 19, 02:59 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/17/2019 11:28 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

I've had good luck with Stanley FatMax. I don't know how durable they
are--I tend to lose them long before they're worn out--but they do
everything I want them to do. Only real downside is that to get the
standout they achieve they've got a lot of dish in the tape.

I've had a lot of trouble with them kinking trying to use the standout
feature...they don't recover gracefully at all as some others will. One
kink and that blade is done in my experience while others have the
temper to recover. This seems more evident with later versions -- like
they've tried to cheapen the manufacturing by less expensive blade
material--I don't have old to compare to but my intuition and
recollection makes me think are thinner blades than used to be...

Old May 18th 19, 03:18 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/18/2019 8:21 AM, Jack wrote:

I don't particularly care who makes my tapes, I have a ton of them.* My
main gripe is all of them I have have 1/32" increments in the first
foot.* This is useless, no, worse than useless, imo.

I used them often. For my use the tape would be no good without them.
I can get that with a 12" scale but a tape is easier to carry around.
So, your opinion does not matter to many of us.
Old May 19th 19, 06:31 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:
* I guess they figure if you measure more
than a foot, you don't need 1/32" accuracy.

I would rather "copy" a length than use a tape measure under
those circumstances. Except admittedly, it's hard to measure a
circumference that way. Did they have tape measures in the 17th
and 18th century? If not, I guess we don't need them! ; )
Old May 19th 19, 03:43 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/19/2019 1:31 AM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
I guess they figure if you measure more
than a foot, you don't need 1/32" accuracy.

I would rather "copy" a length than use a tape measure under those
circumstances.

I don't know what you mean by "copy" a length? Are you saying you don't
use a tape if you need 1/32" accuracy over a foot because there are no
1/32" markings?

In over 60 years of woodworking I have not found a need for those 1/32"
measures in the first foot, they just get in the way. Regardless of
length, 6" or 20', I can put a mark half way between two 1/16" lines.
My 30' tapes don't have 1/32" marks, so I guess they,(the morons making
tapes) think accuracy is only important in the first foot on short
tapes. Truth is, 1/32" lines are mostly just an unnecessary nuisance
both under and over a foot measurements.

Except admittedly, it's hard to measure a circumference
that way. Did they have tape measures in the 17th and 18th century? If
not, I guess we don't need them! ; )

I wasn't around then, but sometimes it feels like I was. I know they
didn't have digital calibers, that's for sure.

--
Jack
Old May 19th 19, 03:43 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/18/2019 10:18 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/18/2019 8:21 AM, Jack wrote:

I don't particularly care who makes my tapes, I have a ton of them.
My main gripe is all of them I have have 1/32" increments in the first
foot. This is useless, no, worse than useless, imo.

I used them often. For my use the tape would be no good without them. I
can get that with a 12" scale but a tape is easier to carry around.

So, I reckon you can't make accurate measurements with anything over a
foot in length unless it lands exactly on a 16th? Pretty sad, in my opinion.

So, your opinion does not matter to many of us.

He asked for opinions, I took the time to give him mine. I guess you
took a survey of "many of us" to see if my opinion matters to anyone?

If my opinion doesn't matter to you, then don't read my posts. Pretty
simple.

--
Jack
Old May 19th 19, 05:35 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/19/2019 9:43 AM, Jack wrote:
On 5/19/2019 1:31 AM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
** I guess they figure if you measure more
than a foot, you don't need 1/32" accuracy.

I would rather "copy" a length than use a tape measure under those
circumstances.

I don't know what you mean by "copy" a length?* Are you saying you don't
use a tape if you need 1/32" accuracy over a foot because there are no
1/32" markings?

In over 60 years of woodworking I have not found a need for those 1/32"
measures in the first foot, they just get in the way.* Regardless of
length, 6" or 20', I can put a mark half way between two 1/16" lines. My
30' tapes don't have 1/32" marks, so I guess they,(the morons making
tapes) think accuracy is only important in the first foot on short
tapes.* Truth is, 1/32" lines are mostly just an unnecessary nuisance
both under and over a foot measurements.

FWIW and, yes, I know there are other ways to skin this cat; how about
measuring a sheet of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood for setting a dado? Rarely is
plywood exactly what it is sold as. It can vary by a 16th or 32nd.

Sure, it's easy enough to cut the baby in half as you suggest but if
there were no 32nd" marks on the tape you can bet the manufacturer's
would probably hear gripes about their absence.