Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Who makes the best woodworker's tape measure?

On 5/20/2019 10:26 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 5/19/2019 2:32 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
On Sun, 19 May 2019 11:35:29 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

On 5/19/2019 9:43 AM, Jack wrote:
On 5/19/2019 1:31 AM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
テつ*テつ* I guess they figure if you measure more
than a foot, you don't need 1/32" accuracy.

I would rather "copy" a length than use a tape measure under those
circumstances.

I don't know what you mean by "copy" a length?テつ* Are you saying you don't
use a tape if you need 1/32" accuracy over a foot because there are no
1/32" markings?

In over 60 years of woodworking I have not found a need for those 1/32"
measures in the first foot, they just get in the way.テつ* Regardless of
length, 6" or 20', I can put a mark half way between two 1/16" lines. My
30' tapes don't have 1/32" marks, so I guess they,(the morons making
tapes) think accuracy is only important in the first foot on short
tapes.テつ* Truth is, 1/32" lines are mostly just an unnecessary nuisance
both under and over a foot measurements.

FWIW and, yes, I know there are other ways to skin this cat; how about
measuring a sheet of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood for setting a dado? Rarely is
plywood exactly what it is sold as. It can vary by a 16th or 32nd.

Or somewhere in between. For that I find a micrometer is more
efficacious than a tape measure. But if the fit really matters trial
cuts and adjustment are time consuming but the "right" way to do it.

Sneaking up on the fit is a band aid fix for improper measuring up to
that point.

For the aforementioned case, I'd probably sneak up on the
correct stacked-dado/shim combination required to match the plywood
rather than trying to measure the stacked dado + shims.

LOL, Yeah. Form me it depends on the day of the week or if there is a
full moon.
But I do use a caliper to measure my first shot at stacking and
shimming, with the arbor nut snugly in place. I compare that
measurement directly to the material in several places. If it is pretty
darn close to tight I'll slightly bevel the edges going into the
dado/grove with my sander. This especially helps to prevent chipping
the outer veneer.