Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Who makes the best woodworker's tape measure?

On 5/19/2019 8:41 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Jack wrote:

Both of these have those dammed useless 1/32" markings in the first
foot. I hated those when I was young and could actually see them
clearly. I have zero problems making accurate marks between 1/16"
lines. I guess they figure if you measure more than a foot, you don't
need 1/32" accuracy.

+1

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-12-ft-Compact-Tape-Measure-48-22-6612/302646670
https://cdn-tp3.mozu.com/24645-37138/cms/37138/files/0e2c1b23-116d-44eb-9242-a82bd3b0ae94

https://www.amazon.com/Komelon-SM5412-Gripper-Acrylic-Measuring/dp/B008AGWNK6/
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Komelon-Self-Lock-Evolution-12-ft-Auto-Lock-Tape-Measure/4177183

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lufkin-3-4-in-x-12-ft-Quikread-Power-Return-Tape-Measure-PQR1312N/302574660

Thank Walt. I looked up the 12' Milwaukee and saw nothing about what
the markings were. However, I looked at the reviews, and on the 2nd
page saw this:

The 1/8" fractional labels are a little busy, but still add to
readability. I'm glad Milwaukee decided against annotating the 1/16"
ticks, since that would have crowded the tape too much."

I don't "hate" the 1/16" markings, but I wonder if this guy really meant
1/32" markings? Also, this guy was talking about the 16' tape under the
12' tape review. I like 12' tapes, I used to have a 10' Stanley that I
wore out. Never found a replacement for it, but it was really nice for
cabinet work, and it laid pretty flat.

I don't like tapes with long standout in the shop because not needed in
a cabinet shop and the curve hinders accuracy. Standout is good for
carpentry though.

Next time I'm at HD I'll check this one out.
--
Jack