Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_91_] Bill[_91_] is offline

Default Who makes the best woodworker's tape measure?

Jack wrote:
On 5/19/2019 1:31 AM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
Â*Â* I guess they figure if you measure more
than a foot, you don't need 1/32" accuracy.

I would rather "copy" a length than use a tape measure under those
circumstances.

I don't know what you mean by "copy" a length?Â* Are you saying
you don't use a tape if you need 1/32" accuracy over a foot
because there are no 1/32" markings?

I meant "copy" in the spirit of using a "story stick" (a few
other posters jogged my memory for that term). I can markup four
boards of the same length that way. There is no way I could do as
well with a tape measure, except for the first one. I often reach
for one of my steel squares--except when I head out shopping. I
often tote a very small or medium sized tape measure in my
pocket, the way some people tote a pocket knife. I have a
Starrett combination square that goes to 64th's and/or hundredths
(ha!) if I want to be "serious". But honestly, I have a
micrometer that works great for measuring less than 1" and (H.F.)
digital calipers that work great for measuring up to 12". I like
using the calipers even when the battery is dead--it's like a
story stick. Lots of ways to skin this cat, but I think the
feller that figured out he didn't need marks on the rule was the
genius! : )

My dad liked to keep (in the car) one of those old-fashioned 12'
(?) fold-up rules that I think were sometimes used for rough
lumber. I suggested that it might not be accurate, but he
disagreed. Of course, he didn't often make furniture, and I never
saw him use one in the house. Still I think that he liked it much
the way you like your tape measure!

Cheers,
Bill