Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default OT Who makes the best woodworker's tape measure?

On 5/21/2019 9:34 AM, Leon wrote:
On 5/21/2019 8:03 AM, Jack wrote:

Everything I'm interested in can be found on youtube, and about
NOTHING I'm interested in can be found on regular TV. Even if regular
tv has something, say woodworking, it sucks, and sucks big time.
Thinking of Lamo Scott Phillips show American Woodshop, the Woodsmith
shop and so on. Lots of bad woodworking stuff on youtube too, but lots
of good stuff as well.

While piling on, Scott Phillips is probably the worst. This guy built,
on TV, what promised to be a great shop, several years ago. It was
immediately a pig sty.

Yes, he is really bad. I guarantee his finished products look like crap.
TV hides a lot but his techniques suck. He does seem like a really nice
guy, but that's about it.

Then there was the Johnson guy that had some kind of a, I cut wood show,
that was determined to convince every one that a Sliding Miter saw was
actually a RAS. Idiot!

Don't recall him.

I do not mind Woodsmith except that it is tooooooooooooo
freakingggggggggggg slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Yes, the show is not bad BUT, they, like most of these shows skip over
too much tricky stuff and are mostly just assembling stuff. Also, they
started doing parts of projects, like 2 or 3 different projects in each
show, then completing them in 2 or more series. Really lame. I quit
even recording them.

And now there is a girl that has a Mansion Restoration Show. Jeez,
where do I start.
Her dad is on the show and makes unnecessary commentary.
She wants to sound like an expert in her field but sadly is just one of
those "dreamer designers".
Several clips show her doing what a remodeled does, work with their hands.

She paints large flat panels,against the grain with a small paint brush.
She removes wall fixtures set screws with a screwdriver made for
tightening screws in a pair of glasses frames.
She uses her Sliding miter saw like A RAS. She might be related to the
Johnson guy mentioned above.
She pulls the blade through the cut instead of pushing it.

Never saw her, but I watch almost no TV.

Oh! I'll will never forget Brad Staggs Master Workshop! Or what ever
he called his show.

Never heard of him either.

David Marks was pretty good, and naturally it is gone today.

Yes, he knew his stuff, so of course his show made it maybe one season
here. Still, TV doesn't allow time for these guys to make a really good
show I guess. YouTube time limits are not there. YouTube however has a
ton of bad stuff, and a lot of it is guys making lousy videos of
horrible techniques. Some of them even mention they never did this
before! Why in the hell are they making a video, that they don't know
how to make or edit, of something they have no clue about, and then
putting it on YouTube.

Still after sorting though things, there is a lot of awesome stuff,
something for everyone for sure.

--
Jack