Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Who makes the best woodworker's tape measure?

My old tape measure is just about done. I thought I'd get a Milwaukee since I like things they make, but the reviews are not that good. What is the best 16-foot tape measure?

Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 17 May 2019 19:12:16 -0700 (PDT), Michael
wrote:

My old tape measure is just about done. I thought I'd get a Milwaukee since I like things they make, but the reviews are not that good. What is the best 16-foot tape measure?

Thanks.

I've had good luck with Stanley FatMax. I don't know how durable they
are--I tend to lose them long before they're worn out--but they do
everything I want them to do. Only real downside is that to get the
standout they achieve they've got a lot of dish in the tape.

If you want one that's flat, FastCap has several options, including
some that are made so you can write on them like a "story pole".
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/17/2019 10:12 PM, Michael wrote:
My old tape measure is just about done. I thought I'd get a Milwaukee since I like things they make, but the reviews are not that good. What is the best 16-foot tape measure?

I don't particularly care who makes my tapes, I have a ton of them. My
main gripe is all of them I have have 1/32" increments in the first
foot. This is useless, no, worse than useless, imo.

I seldom work on carpentry projects any more, but in my cabinet shop I
like a small tape, 12' is more than enough. I prefer Stanely, they
always made good tapes, and that's my goto tape, a 12' Stanley Power
lock. I also have a 16' Fastcap "old Standby" that is OK. The Fastcap
return spring is too strong. Stanley has prefect return spring tension.

Both of these have those dammed useless 1/32" markings in the first
foot. I hated those when I was young and could actually see them
clearly. I have zero problems making accurate marks between 1/16"
lines. I guess they figure if you measure more than a foot, you don't
need 1/32" accuracy.

Also, as I mentioned, I have a ton of tapes. One day I compared all of
them for accuracy. Stanley and Fastcap were right on, many of the others
were not. Doesn't matter much if you only use one tape, but keep that
in mind. Cheap tapes in the bargain barrel are generally inaccurate, but
good idea to check each tape you have.

--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 17 May 2019 19:12:16 -0700, Michael wrote:

My old tape measure is just about done. I thought I'd get a Milwaukee
since I like things they make, but the reviews are not that good. What
is the best 16-foot tape measure?

Thanks.

You may wish to consider this one:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?
p=65357&cat=1,46158,75230,75235&ap=1
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/17/2019 11:28 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

I've had good luck with Stanley FatMax. I don't know how durable they
are--I tend to lose them long before they're worn out--but they do
everything I want them to do. Only real downside is that to get the
standout they achieve they've got a lot of dish in the tape.

I've had a lot of trouble with them kinking trying to use the standout
feature...they don't recover gracefully at all as some others will. One
kink and that blade is done in my experience while others have the
temper to recover. This seems more evident with later versions -- like
they've tried to cheapen the manufacturing by less expensive blade
material--I don't have old to compare to but my intuition and
recollection makes me think are thinner blades than used to be...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/18/2019 8:21 AM, Jack wrote:

I don't particularly care who makes my tapes, I have a ton of them.Â* My
main gripe is all of them I have have 1/32" increments in the first
foot.Â* This is useless, no, worse than useless, imo.

I used them often. For my use the tape would be no good without them.
I can get that with a 12" scale but a tape is easier to carry around.
So, your opinion does not matter to many of us.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:
Â* I guess they figure if you measure more
than a foot, you don't need 1/32" accuracy.

I would rather "copy" a length than use a tape measure under
those circumstances. Except admittedly, it's hard to measure a
circumference that way. Did they have tape measures in the 17th
and 18th century? If not, I guess we don't need them! ; )
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/19/2019 1:31 AM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
I guess they figure if you measure more
than a foot, you don't need 1/32" accuracy.

I would rather "copy" a length than use a tape measure under those
circumstances.

I don't know what you mean by "copy" a length? Are you saying you don't
use a tape if you need 1/32" accuracy over a foot because there are no
1/32" markings?

In over 60 years of woodworking I have not found a need for those 1/32"
measures in the first foot, they just get in the way. Regardless of
length, 6" or 20', I can put a mark half way between two 1/16" lines.
My 30' tapes don't have 1/32" marks, so I guess they,(the morons making
tapes) think accuracy is only important in the first foot on short
tapes. Truth is, 1/32" lines are mostly just an unnecessary nuisance
both under and over a foot measurements.

Except admittedly, it's hard to measure a circumference
that way. Did they have tape measures in the 17th and 18th century? If
not, I guess we don't need them! ; )

I wasn't around then, but sometimes it feels like I was. I know they
didn't have digital calibers, that's for sure.

--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/18/2019 10:18 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/18/2019 8:21 AM, Jack wrote:

I don't particularly care who makes my tapes, I have a ton of them.
My main gripe is all of them I have have 1/32" increments in the first
foot. This is useless, no, worse than useless, imo.

I used them often. For my use the tape would be no good without them. I
can get that with a 12" scale but a tape is easier to carry around.

So, I reckon you can't make accurate measurements with anything over a
foot in length unless it lands exactly on a 16th? Pretty sad, in my opinion.

So, your opinion does not matter to many of us.

He asked for opinions, I took the time to give him mine. I guess you
took a survey of "many of us" to see if my opinion matters to anyone?

If my opinion doesn't matter to you, then don't read my posts. Pretty
simple.

--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/19/2019 9:43 AM, Jack wrote:
On 5/19/2019 1:31 AM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
Â*Â* I guess they figure if you measure more
than a foot, you don't need 1/32" accuracy.

I would rather "copy" a length than use a tape measure under those
circumstances.

I don't know what you mean by "copy" a length?Â* Are you saying you don't
use a tape if you need 1/32" accuracy over a foot because there are no
1/32" markings?

In over 60 years of woodworking I have not found a need for those 1/32"
measures in the first foot, they just get in the way.Â* Regardless of
length, 6" or 20', I can put a mark half way between two 1/16" lines. My
30' tapes don't have 1/32" marks, so I guess they,(the morons making
tapes) think accuracy is only important in the first foot on short
tapes.Â* Truth is, 1/32" lines are mostly just an unnecessary nuisance
both under and over a foot measurements.

FWIW and, yes, I know there are other ways to skin this cat; how about
measuring a sheet of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood for setting a dado? Rarely is
plywood exactly what it is sold as. It can vary by a 16th or 32nd.

Sure, it's easy enough to cut the baby in half as you suggest but if
there were no 32nd" marks on the tape you can bet the manufacturer's
would probably hear gripes about their absence.

Except admittedly, it's hard to measure a circumference
that way.Â* Did they have tape measures in the 17th and 18th century?Â* If
not, I guess we don't need them!Â*Â* ; )

I wasn't around then, but sometimes it feels like I was. I know they
didn't have digital calibers, that's for sure.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/17/2019 9:12 PM, Michael wrote:
My old tape measure is just about done. I thought I'd get a Milwaukee since I like things they make, but the reviews are not that good. What is the best 16-foot tape measure?

Thanks.

Well buying a brand for the sake of buying that brand will not always
yield the same results that you expect.

I personally like to use Fast Cap tape measures, they feel good in my
hand and have a lifetime, no questions asked warranty.

I DO NOT TRUST any tape measure. I only use tape measures as a second
or third, double or triple check of a crucial measurement laid out by
steel or aluminum rules and or story sticks.

Sooner or later the end of a tape measure will get bent or the holes
that the rivets pass through will enlarge from use. From that point,
for me, the tape measure is worthless.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 19 May 2019 11:35:29 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

On 5/19/2019 9:43 AM, Jack wrote:
On 5/19/2019 1:31 AM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
[...]

Or somewhere in between. For that I find a micrometer is more
efficacious than a tape measure. But if the fit really matters trial
cuts and adjustment are time consuming but the "right" way to do it.

Sure, it's easy enough to cut the baby in half as you suggest but if
there were no 32nd" marks on the tape you can bet the manufacturer's
would probably hear gripes about their absence.

Except admittedly, it's hard to measure a circumference
that way.* Did they have tape measures in the 17th and 18th century?* If
not, I guess we don't need them!** ; )

I wasn't around then, but sometimes it feels like I was. I know they
didn't have digital calibers, that's for sure.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/18/2019 8:21 AM, Jack wrote:

I don't particularly care who makes my tapes, I have a ton of them.
My main gripe is all of them I have have 1/32" increments in the first
foot. This is useless, no, worse than useless, imo.

I used them often. For my use the tape would be no good without them. I
can get that with a 12" scale but a tape is easier to carry around.

So, I reckon you can't make accurate measurements with anything over a
foot in length unless it lands exactly on a 16th? Pretty sad, in my opinion.

I wouldn't count on a tape measure to be more accurate than that
anyway. They aren't micrometers.

So, your opinion does not matter to many of us.

He asked for opinions, I took the time to give him mine. I guess you
took a survey of "many of us" to see if my opinion matters to anyone?

If my opinion doesn't matter to you, then don't read my posts. Pretty
simple.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:

Both of these have those dammed useless 1/32" markings in the first
foot. I hated those when I was young and could actually see them
clearly. I have zero problems making accurate marks between 1/16"
lines. I guess they figure if you measure more than a foot, you don't
need 1/32" accuracy.

+1

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-12-ft-Compact-Tape-Measure-48-22-6612/302646670
https://cdn-tp3.mozu.com/24645-37138/cms/37138/files/0e2c1b23-116d-44eb-9242-a82bd3b0ae94

https://www.amazon.com/Komelon-SM5412-Gripper-Acrylic-Measuring/dp/B008AGWNK6/
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Komelon-Self-Lock-Evolution-12-ft-Auto-Lock-Tape-Measure/4177183

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lufkin-3-4-in-x-12-ft-Quikread-Power-Return-Tape-Measure-PQR1312N/302574660

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:
On 5/19/2019 1:31 AM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
Â*Â* I guess they figure if you measure more
than a foot, you don't need 1/32" accuracy.

I would rather "copy" a length than use a tape measure under those
circumstances.

I don't know what you mean by "copy" a length?Â* Are you saying
you don't use a tape if you need 1/32" accuracy over a foot
because there are no 1/32" markings?

I meant "copy" in the spirit of using a "story stick" (a few
other posters jogged my memory for that term). I can markup four
boards of the same length that way. There is no way I could do as
well with a tape measure, except for the first one. I often reach
for one of my steel squares--except when I head out shopping. I
often tote a very small or medium sized tape measure in my
pocket, the way some people tote a pocket knife. I have a
Starrett combination square that goes to 64th's and/or hundredths
(ha!) if I want to be "serious". But honestly, I have a
micrometer that works great for measuring less than 1" and (H.F.)
digital calipers that work great for measuring up to 12". I like
using the calipers even when the battery is dead--it's like a
story stick. Lots of ways to skin this cat, but I think the
feller that figured out he didn't need marks on the rule was the
genius! : )

My dad liked to keep (in the car) one of those old-fashioned 12'
(?) fold-up rules that I think were sometimes used for rough
lumber. I suggested that it might not be accurate, but he
disagreed. Of course, he didn't often make furniture, and I never
saw him use one in the house. Still I think that he liked it much
the way you like your tape measure!

Cheers,
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, May 19, 2019 at 12:32:14 PM UTC-7, J. Clarke wrote:

Or somewhere in between. For that I find a micrometer is more
efficacious than a tape measure. But if the fit really matters trial
cuts and adjustment are time consuming but the "right" way to do it.

I've had good results from cutting a joint slightly too loose, using
feeler gages to measure the gap, then adjusting my fence for the difference.
A thousandths-of-an-inch dial gage can tell you how far the fence is moved...
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 5/19/2019 9:43 AM, Jack wrote:
On 5/19/2019 1:31 AM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
[...]

Sneaking up on the fit is a band aid fix for improper measuring up to
that point. I certainly sneak up on fit in many cases but it is usually
when considering inconsistent thicknesses on sheet goods used in
multiple layers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 5/19/2019 9:43 AM, Jack wrote:
On 5/19/2019 1:31 AM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
[...]

For the aforementioned case, I'd probably sneak up on the
correct stacked-dado/shim combination required to match the plywood
rather than trying to measure the stacked dado + shims.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/19/2019 8:41 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Jack wrote:

Both of these have those dammed useless 1/32" markings in the first
foot. I hated those when I was young and could actually see them
clearly. I have zero problems making accurate marks between 1/16"
lines. I guess they figure if you measure more than a foot, you don't
need 1/32" accuracy.

+1

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-12-ft-Compact-Tape-Measure-48-22-6612/302646670
https://cdn-tp3.mozu.com/24645-37138/cms/37138/files/0e2c1b23-116d-44eb-9242-a82bd3b0ae94

https://www.amazon.com/Komelon-SM5412-Gripper-Acrylic-Measuring/dp/B008AGWNK6/
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Komelon-Self-Lock-Evolution-12-ft-Auto-Lock-Tape-Measure/4177183

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lufkin-3-4-in-x-12-ft-Quikread-Power-Return-Tape-Measure-PQR1312N/302574660

Thank Walt. I looked up the 12' Milwaukee and saw nothing about what
the markings were. However, I looked at the reviews, and on the 2nd
page saw this:

The 1/8" fractional labels are a little busy, but still add to
readability. I'm glad Milwaukee decided against annotating the 1/16"
ticks, since that would have crowded the tape too much."

I don't "hate" the 1/16" markings, but I wonder if this guy really meant
1/32" markings? Also, this guy was talking about the 16' tape under the
12' tape review. I like 12' tapes, I used to have a 10' Stanley that I
wore out. Never found a replacement for it, but it was really nice for
cabinet work, and it laid pretty flat.

I don't like tapes with long standout in the shop because not needed in
a cabinet shop and the curve hinders accuracy. Standout is good for
carpentry though.

Next time I'm at HD I'll check this one out.
--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/20/2019 2:15 AM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
On 5/19/2019 1:31 AM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
I guess they figure if you measure more
than a foot, you don't need 1/32" accuracy.

I would rather "copy" a length than use a tape measure under those
circumstances.

I don't know what you mean by "copy" a length? Are you saying you
don't use a tape if you need 1/32" accuracy over a foot because there
are no 1/32" markings?

I meant "copy" in the spirit of using a "story stick" (a few other
posters jogged my memory for that term).

I suspected that was what you meant, but couldn't think of the term
either. I use them my self occasionally.

I can markup four boards of
the same length that way. There is no way I could do as well with a tape
measure, except for the first one.

Yes, the first one you likely will use a tape. No getting around using
a tape in woodwork, and I personally don't need, like or want those
dammed 1/32" marks.

I often reach for one of my steel squares--except when I head out shopping.

I use my dads combo square all the time (it's older than me). Mine has
1/8" grooves on one side, 1/16" on the other, and never in my life did I
yearn for 1/32" markings.

I often tote a very small or
medium sized tape measure in my pocket, the way some people tote a
pocket knife.

I do the same with a small 6' Stanley that fits in my watch pocket.
Finally found a use for a watch pocket.

Only a woodworker would carry a tape everywhere he goes:-)

I have a Starrett combination square that goes to 64th's
and/or hundredths (ha!) if I want to be "serious". But honestly, I have
a micrometer that works great for measuring less than 1" and (H.F.)
digital calipers that work great for measuring up to 12". I like using
the calipers even when the battery is dead--it's like a story stick.

I also have a HF digital caliper. I have the same gripe about it. The
fractional measurements are 1/128". It's really hard to get them to
land on courser numbers, so I'm always doing the math for 15/128 to get
to something I can use. Also, the damned batteries go dead so I have to
remove them every time I'm done using it. I have found them WAY more
useful than I thought I would though, and have been thinking of buying a
better set with AA batteries that wouldn't go dead when off.
I'd REALLY like a set where the fractional granularity was more course,
or adjustable. I doubt they make them though.

My dad liked to keep (in the car) one of those old-fashioned 12' (?)
fold-up rules that I think were sometimes used for rough lumber. I
suggested that it might not be accurate, but he disagreed. Of course, he
didn't often make furniture, and I never saw him use one in the house.
Still I think that he liked it much the way you like your tape measure!

My Dad had one too, and I have it in my shed. I almost never use it
though, but they have some usefulness I guess. I think they are accurate
enough for most wood work.
--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/20/2019 10:59 AM, Leon wrote:
On 5/19/2019 2:32 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

lywood exactly what it is sold as. It can vary by a 16th or 32nd.

Or somewhere in between. For that I find a micrometer is more
efficacious than a tape measure. But if the fit really matters trial
cuts and adjustment are time consuming but the "right" way to do it.

Sneaking up on the fit is a band aid fix for improper measuring up to
that point. I certainly sneak up on fit in many cases but it is usually
when considering inconsistent thicknesses on sheet goods used in
multiple layers.

I always do a test fit when cutting dado's in anything. I have tapes
with 1/32" measures, digital calibers with 1/128th measurements, and
dial indicator with 1000's of an inch. I just do the trial and error,
which generally works the first time with my dado set. Next time though
I think I'll try the digital calipers, that should work quite well, but
still will do the old test cut.
--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 5/19/2019 9:43 AM, Jack wrote:
On 5/19/2019 1:31 AM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
[...]

Yes, that's what I do. I'm gunna try the dial calipers next time though.
Been watching a lot of machinist videos on YouTube:-).

--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack writes:
On 5/20/2019 2:15 AM, Bill wrote:

I can markup four boards of
the same length that way. There is no way I could do as well with a tape
measure, except for the first one.

Yes, the first one you likely will use a tape.

Not necessarily. I have 6", 1', 2' and 4' graduated straight
edges (starretts, mainly :-). They work quite well for the vast
majority of woodworking purposes.

No getting around using
a tape in woodwork,

I manage just fine with good straight edges. The Incra rules are good
if you can't find used Starrett gear at a reasonable price.

and I personally don't need, like or want those
dammed 1/32" marks.

Of the four I have (various stanley 25 footers, from 10 to 30 years old), none are graduated
in 32nds, even in the first foot.

I often reach for one of my steel squares--except when I head out shopping.

I've not seen a steel square with graduations I'd trust, myself; excepting
the Starretts.

My dad liked to keep (in the car) one of those old-fashioned 12' (?)
fold-up rules that I think were sometimes used for rough lumber. I
suggested that it might not be accurate, but he disagreed. Of course, he
didn't often make furniture, and I never saw him use one in the house.
Still I think that he liked it much the way you like your tape measure!

I have a few stanley boxwood folding rules and calipers, and they are quite
accurately graduated, all things considered.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/20/2019 10:26 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 5/19/2019 2:32 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
On Sun, 19 May 2019 11:35:29 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

On 5/19/2019 9:43 AM, Jack wrote:
On 5/19/2019 1:31 AM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
ÂÂ*ÂÂ* I guess they figure if you measure more
than a foot, you don't need 1/32" accuracy.

I would rather "copy" a length than use a tape measure under those
circumstances.

I don't know what you mean by "copy" a length?ÂÂ* Are you saying you don't
use a tape if you need 1/32" accuracy over a foot because there are no
1/32" markings?

In over 60 years of woodworking I have not found a need for those 1/32"
measures in the first foot, they just get in the way.ÂÂ* Regardless of
length, 6" or 20', I can put a mark half way between two 1/16" lines. My
30' tapes don't have 1/32" marks, so I guess they,(the morons making
tapes) think accuracy is only important in the first foot on short
tapes.ÂÂ* Truth is, 1/32" lines are mostly just an unnecessary nuisance
both under and over a foot measurements.

FWIW and, yes, I know there are other ways to skin this cat; how about
measuring a sheet of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood for setting a dado? Rarely is
plywood exactly what it is sold as. It can vary by a 16th or 32nd.

Or somewhere in between. For that I find a micrometer is more
efficacious than a tape measure. But if the fit really matters trial
cuts and adjustment are time consuming but the "right" way to do it.

Sneaking up on the fit is a band aid fix for improper measuring up to
that point.

For the aforementioned case, I'd probably sneak up on the
correct stacked-dado/shim combination required to match the plywood
rather than trying to measure the stacked dado + shims.

LOL, Yeah. Form me it depends on the day of the week or if there is a
full moon.
But I do use a caliper to measure my first shot at stacking and
shimming, with the arbor nut snugly in place. I compare that
measurement directly to the material in several places. If it is pretty
darn close to tight I'll slightly bevel the edges going into the
dado/grove with my sander. This especially helps to prevent chipping
the outer veneer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/20/2019 1:06 PM, Jack wrote:
On 5/20/2019 10:59 AM, Leon wrote:
On 5/19/2019 2:32 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

lywood exactly what it is sold as. It can vary by a 16th or 32nd.

Or somewhere in between.Â* For that I find a micrometer is more
efficacious than a tape measure.Â* But if the fit really matters trial
cuts and adjustment are time consuming but the "right" way to do it.

Sneaking up on the fit is a band aid fix for improper measuring up to
that point.Â* I certainly sneak up on fit in many cases but it is usually
when considering inconsistent thicknesses on sheet goods used in
multiple layers.

I always do a test fit when cutting dado's in anything.Â* I have tapes
with 1/32" measures, digital calibers with 1/128th measurements, and
dial indicator with 1000's of an inch.Â* I just do the trial and error,
which generally works the first time with my dado set. Next time though
I think I'll try the digital calipers, that should work quite well, but
still will do the old test cut.

With a digital caliper and a calculator you can determine exactly what
size shim to place in the stack.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT Who makes the best woodworker's tape measure?

Jack wrote:

Yes, that's what I do. I'm gunna try the dial calipers next time
though. *Been watching a lot of machinist videos on YouTube:-).

Try Hobby-Machinist.com
I've been thinking about whether I might be able to make some
plane parts. I don't own a lathe or a mill though, so far. But I
am keeping my eyes open for a "deal" while I learn.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/21/2019 2:22 AM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:

Yes, that's what I do. I'm gunna try the dial calipers next time
though. Been watching a lot of machinist videos on YouTube:-).

Try Hobby-Machinist.com
I've been thinking about whether I might be able to make some plane
parts. I don't own a lathe or a mill though, so far. But I am keeping my
eyes open for a "deal" while I learn.

That's a web page. I like watching videos on Youtube on my big screen
TV's (Comcast here has a built in YouTube app) I about completely
stopped watching anything on regular TV, and 99% of what I watch is on
Youtube. I like ABOM79 and David Richards Old Steam Powered Machine
Shop, but watch and subscribe to a few others machinist shows as well.

Everything I'm interested in can be found on youtube, and about NOTHING
I'm interested in can be found on regular TV. Even if regular tv has
something, say woodworking, it sucks, and sucks big time. Thinking of
Lamo Scott Phillips show American Woodshop, the Woodsmith shop and so
on. Lots of bad woodworking stuff on youtube too, but lots of good stuff
as well.

My absolute favorite "TV" star is Andrew Camarata. He has hundreds of
YouTube video's and I think I watched every one of them. He does
everything I did in my youth, and most of everything I dreamed of doing
but never did, like run heavy equipment. His video's are well done, he
can do it all.

--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/21/2019 8:03 AM, Jack wrote:
On 5/21/2019 2:22 AM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:

Yes, that's what I do. I'm gunna try the dial calipers next time
though.* Been watching a lot of machinist videos on YouTube:-).

Try Hobby-Machinist.com
I've been thinking about whether I might be able to make some plane
parts. I don't own a lathe or a mill though, so far. But I am keeping my
eyes open for a "deal" while I learn.

That's a web page.* I like watching videos on Youtube on my big screen
TV's (Comcast here has a built in YouTube app) I about completely
stopped watching anything on regular TV, and 99% of what I watch is on
Youtube.* I like ABOM79 and David Richards Old Steam Powered Machine
Shop, but watch and subscribe to a few others machinist shows as well.

I put a couple of miles on the tread mill almost every day, You Tube on
a 32" TV "right in front" of the tread mill gets me through the drudgery.

Everything I'm interested in can be found on youtube, and about NOTHING
I'm interested in can be found on regular TV. Even if regular tv has
something, say woodworking, it sucks, and sucks big time.* Thinking of
Lamo Scott Phillips show American Woodshop, the Woodsmith shop and so
on. Lots of bad woodworking stuff on youtube too, but lots of good stuff
as well.

While piling on, Scott Phillips is probably the worst. This guy built,
on TV, what promised to be a great shop, several years ago. It was
immediately a pig sty.

Then there was the Johnson guy that had some kind of a, I cut wood show,
that was determined to convince every one that a Sliding Miter saw was
actually a RAS. Idiot!

I do not mind Woodsmith except that it is tooooooooooooo
freakingggggggggggg slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

And now there is a girl that has a Mansion Restoration Show. Jeez,
where do I start.
Her dad is on the show and makes unnecessary commentary.
She wants to sound like an expert in her field but sadly is just one of
those "dreamer designers".
Several clips show her doing what a remodeled does, work with their hands.

She paints large flat panels,against the grain with a small paint brush.
She removes wall fixtures set screws with a screwdriver made for
tightening screws in a pair of glasses frames.
She uses her Sliding miter saw like A RAS. She might be related to the
Johnson guy mentioned above.
She pulls the blade through the cut instead of pushing it.

Oh! I'll will never forget Brad Staggs Master Workshop! Or what ever
he called his show.
This idiot dedicated a portion of his show to showing how to properly
use a dodo blade on a TS.
Imagine the look on his face while cutting a dado with out removing the
blade guard. He had that look of, hummmmm why is the board not passing
past the blades??? IDIOT!

And they put this stuff on TV!

David Marks was pretty good, and naturally it is gone today.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/20/2019 1:08 PM, Jack wrote:

True dat.* But, they ain't micrometers under a foot either, so 1/32"
marks in the first foot doesn't turn them into micrometers either, so
while the marks aren't needed in over a foot measurements, they're also
not needed under a foot measurements.

Not for you but what about others? Tape measures are used for many
things aside from woodwork. Surely you recognize that others have
different needs than you.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 21 May 2019 09:03:58 -0400, Jack wrote:

I about completely
stopped watching anything on regular TV, and 99% of what I watch is on
Youtube. I like ABOM79 and David Richards Old Steam Powered Machine
Shop, but watch and subscribe to a few others machinist shows as well.

Check out mtmwood on Youtube. He doesn't do many videos now, however, he
went from a garage operation to a production plant doing end grain cutting
boards. I especially like this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVd-jxTmq4g
--
Jerry O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 21 May 2019 08:34:43 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 5/21/2019 8:03 AM, Jack wrote:
On 5/21/2019 2:22 AM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:

Yes, that's what I do. I'm gunna try the dial calipers next time
though.* Been watching a lot of machinist videos on YouTube:-).

Try Hobby-Machinist.com
I've been thinking about whether I might be able to make some plane
parts. I don't own a lathe or a mill though, so far. But I am keeping my
eyes open for a "deal" while I learn.

That's a web page.* I like watching videos on Youtube on my big screen
TV's (Comcast here has a built in YouTube app) I about completely
stopped watching anything on regular TV, and 99% of what I watch is on
Youtube.* I like ABOM79 and David Richards Old Steam Powered Machine
Shop, but watch and subscribe to a few others machinist shows as well.

I put a couple of miles on the tread mill almost every day, You Tube on
a 32" TV "right in front" of the tread mill gets me through the drudgery.

+1
I walk 8-1/2 miles on the treadmill every day (2-1/2hrs). It wouldn't
be possible without Netflix and Prime.

[...]

I guess there is a reason I don't watch Youtube.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:
On 5/21/2019 2:22 AM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:

Yes, that's what I do. I'm gunna try the dial calipers next time
though.* Been watching a lot of machinist videos on YouTube:-).

Try Hobby-Machinist.com
I've been thinking about whether I might be able to make some
plane
parts. I don't own a lathe or a mill though, so far. But I am
keeping my
eyes open for a "deal" while I learn.

That's a web page.* I like watching videos on Youtube on my big
screen TV's (Comcast here has a built in YouTube app) I about
completely stopped watching anything on regular TV, and 99% of
what I watch is on Youtube.

Me too, with Roku. But what's wrong with a web page forum (where
you can ask questions)?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/21/2019 9:34 AM, Leon wrote:
On 5/21/2019 8:03 AM, Jack wrote:

Everything I'm interested in can be found on youtube, and about
NOTHING I'm interested in can be found on regular TV. Even if regular
tv has something, say woodworking, it sucks, and sucks big time.
Thinking of Lamo Scott Phillips show American Woodshop, the Woodsmith
shop and so on. Lots of bad woodworking stuff on youtube too, but lots
of good stuff as well.

While piling on, Scott Phillips is probably the worst. This guy built,
on TV, what promised to be a great shop, several years ago. It was
immediately a pig sty.

Yes, he is really bad. I guarantee his finished products look like crap.
TV hides a lot but his techniques suck. He does seem like a really nice
guy, but that's about it.

Then there was the Johnson guy that had some kind of a, I cut wood show,
that was determined to convince every one that a Sliding Miter saw was
actually a RAS. Idiot!

Don't recall him.

I do not mind Woodsmith except that it is tooooooooooooo
freakingggggggggggg slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Yes, the show is not bad BUT, they, like most of these shows skip over
too much tricky stuff and are mostly just assembling stuff. Also, they
started doing parts of projects, like 2 or 3 different projects in each
show, then completing them in 2 or more series. Really lame. I quit
even recording them.

And now there is a girl that has a Mansion Restoration Show. Jeez,
where do I start.
Her dad is on the show and makes unnecessary commentary.
She wants to sound like an expert in her field but sadly is just one of
those "dreamer designers".
Several clips show her doing what a remodeled does, work with their hands.

She paints large flat panels,against the grain with a small paint brush.
She removes wall fixtures set screws with a screwdriver made for
tightening screws in a pair of glasses frames.
She uses her Sliding miter saw like A RAS. She might be related to the
Johnson guy mentioned above.
She pulls the blade through the cut instead of pushing it.

Never saw her, but I watch almost no TV.

Oh! I'll will never forget Brad Staggs Master Workshop! Or what ever
he called his show.

Never heard of him either.

David Marks was pretty good, and naturally it is gone today.

Yes, he knew his stuff, so of course his show made it maybe one season
here. Still, TV doesn't allow time for these guys to make a really good
show I guess. YouTube time limits are not there. YouTube however has a
ton of bad stuff, and a lot of it is guys making lousy videos of
horrible techniques. Some of them even mention they never did this
before! Why in the hell are they making a video, that they don't know
how to make or edit, of something they have no clue about, and then
putting it on YouTube.

Still after sorting though things, there is a lot of awesome stuff,
something for everyone for sure.

--
Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 7:01:32 AM UTC-5, Jack wrote:

YouTube however has a
ton of bad stuff, and a lot of it is guys making lousy videos of
horrible techniques. Some of them even mention they never did this
before! Why in the hell are they making a video, that they don't know
how to make or edit, of something they have no clue about, and then
putting it on YouTube.

After all the other cons mentioned, of the different TV shows, plus the bad YouTube folks, they probably don't have/use the best woodworkers tape measure.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/21/2019 1:58 PM, Jerry Osage wrote:
On Tue, 21 May 2019 09:03:58 -0400, Jack wrote:

I about completely
stopped watching anything on regular TV, and 99% of what I watch is on
Youtube. I like ABOM79 and David Richards Old Steam Powered Machine
Shop, but watch and subscribe to a few others machinist shows as well.

Check out mtmwood on Youtube. He doesn't do many videos now, however, he
went from a garage operation to a production plant doing end grain cutting
boards. I especially like this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVd-jxTmq4g

Yes, I believe I watched that one before. Very nice cutting board. Not
my style of shop though, too clean, too, neat, too many Festering tools.
(Through that in for Leon:-))

Here's my type of woodwork show. Engels Coach Shop. This guy is a pro,
and knows how to do stuff. He builds and restores old wagons, coaches,
wheels and all that. Not stuff many do, but wow, he does it all, and
does good video's, showing exactly how it's done. Although not something
many would ever do, it is enjoyable for wood workers to watch. Here are
a few I grabbed at random, but he has a lot of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ5RemOVyaw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0xj7OujbwU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9UPihp04xY

--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

And they put this stuff on TV!

David Marks was pretty good, and naturally it is gone today.

I put a couple of miles on the tread mill almost every day, You Tube on
a 32" TV "right in front" of the tread mill gets me through the drudgery.

On 5/21/2019 10:24 PM, @notreal.com wrote:
+1
I guess there is a reason I don't watch Youtube.

Yeah, it's opposite from NetFlix. I never found anything worth watching
on NetFlix either. Both TV and Netflix are complete wastelands, almost
completely void of any worthwhile content.

Besides, Leon was not talking about YouTube, he was talking about
regular TV. Leon watches Youtube when on the treadmill.

--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/22/2019 2:07 AM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
On 5/21/2019 2:22 AM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:

Yes, that's what I do. I'm gunna try the dial calipers next time
though. Been watching a lot of machinist videos on YouTube:-).

Try Hobby-Machinist.com
I've been thinking about whether I might be able to make some plane
parts. I don't own a lathe or a mill though, so far. But I am keeping my
eyes open for a "deal" while I learn.

That's a web page. I like watching videos on Youtube on my big screen
TV's (Comcast here has a built in YouTube app) I about completely
stopped watching anything on regular TV, and 99% of what I watch is on
Youtube.

Me too, with Roku. But what's wrong with a web page forum (where you
can ask questions)?

I also have Roku but quit watching it when Comcast came out with the
YouTube app, and AT&T bought Ustream and Roku stopped streaming Ustream,
which I used to watch live pool matches. YouTube now has a zillion
pool videos, and sometimes streams them live.

--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/22/2019 8:48 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 7:01:32 AM UTC-5, Jack wrote:

YouTube however has a
ton of bad stuff, and a lot of it is guys making lousy videos of
horrible techniques. Some of them even mention they never did this
before! Why in the hell are they making a video, that they don't know
how to make or edit, of something they have no clue about, and then
putting it on YouTube.

After all the other cons mentioned, of the different TV shows, plus the bad YouTube folks, they probably don't have/use the best woodworkers tape measure.

Sonny

ROTFLMAO... Yeah, we wen of on a tangent,,,,,,again.