Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Who makes the best woodworker's tape measure?

On 5/17/2019 11:28 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

I've had good luck with Stanley FatMax. I don't know how durable they
are--I tend to lose them long before they're worn out--but they do
everything I want them to do. Only real downside is that to get the
standout they achieve they've got a lot of dish in the tape.

I've had a lot of trouble with them kinking trying to use the standout
feature...they don't recover gracefully at all as some others will. One
kink and that blade is done in my experience while others have the
temper to recover. This seems more evident with later versions -- like
they've tried to cheapen the manufacturing by less expensive blade
material--I don't have old to compare to but my intuition and
recollection makes me think are thinner blades than used to be...