Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Who makes the best woodworker's tape measure?

On 5/17/2019 10:12 PM, Michael wrote:
My old tape measure is just about done. I thought I'd get a Milwaukee since I like things they make, but the reviews are not that good. What is the best 16-foot tape measure?

I don't particularly care who makes my tapes, I have a ton of them. My
main gripe is all of them I have have 1/32" increments in the first
foot. This is useless, no, worse than useless, imo.

I seldom work on carpentry projects any more, but in my cabinet shop I
like a small tape, 12' is more than enough. I prefer Stanely, they
always made good tapes, and that's my goto tape, a 12' Stanley Power
lock. I also have a 16' Fastcap "old Standby" that is OK. The Fastcap
return spring is too strong. Stanley has prefect return spring tension.

Both of these have those dammed useless 1/32" markings in the first
foot. I hated those when I was young and could actually see them
clearly. I have zero problems making accurate marks between 1/16"
lines. I guess they figure if you measure more than a foot, you don't
need 1/32" accuracy.

Also, as I mentioned, I have a ton of tapes. One day I compared all of
them for accuracy. Stanley and Fastcap were right on, many of the others
were not. Doesn't matter much if you only use one tape, but keep that
in mind. Cheap tapes in the bargain barrel are generally inaccurate, but
good idea to check each tape you have.

--
Jack