Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Who makes the best woodworker's tape measure?

On 5/20/2019 2:15 AM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
On 5/19/2019 1:31 AM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
I guess they figure if you measure more
than a foot, you don't need 1/32" accuracy.

I would rather "copy" a length than use a tape measure under those
circumstances.

I don't know what you mean by "copy" a length? Are you saying you
don't use a tape if you need 1/32" accuracy over a foot because there
are no 1/32" markings?

I meant "copy" in the spirit of using a "story stick" (a few other
posters jogged my memory for that term).

I suspected that was what you meant, but couldn't think of the term
either. I use them my self occasionally.

I can markup four boards of
the same length that way. There is no way I could do as well with a tape
measure, except for the first one.

Yes, the first one you likely will use a tape. No getting around using
a tape in woodwork, and I personally don't need, like or want those
dammed 1/32" marks.

I often reach for one of my steel squares--except when I head out shopping.

I use my dads combo square all the time (it's older than me). Mine has
1/8" grooves on one side, 1/16" on the other, and never in my life did I
yearn for 1/32" markings.

I often tote a very small or
medium sized tape measure in my pocket, the way some people tote a
pocket knife.

I do the same with a small 6' Stanley that fits in my watch pocket.
Finally found a use for a watch pocket.

Only a woodworker would carry a tape everywhere he goes:-)

I have a Starrett combination square that goes to 64th's
and/or hundredths (ha!) if I want to be "serious". But honestly, I have
a micrometer that works great for measuring less than 1" and (H.F.)
digital calipers that work great for measuring up to 12". I like using
the calipers even when the battery is dead--it's like a story stick.

I also have a HF digital caliper. I have the same gripe about it. The
fractional measurements are 1/128". It's really hard to get them to
land on courser numbers, so I'm always doing the math for 15/128 to get
to something I can use. Also, the damned batteries go dead so I have to
remove them every time I'm done using it. I have found them WAY more
useful than I thought I would though, and have been thinking of buying a
better set with AA batteries that wouldn't go dead when off.
I'd REALLY like a set where the fractional granularity was more course,
or adjustable. I doubt they make them though.

My dad liked to keep (in the car) one of those old-fashioned 12' (?)
fold-up rules that I think were sometimes used for rough lumber. I
suggested that it might not be accurate, but he disagreed. Of course, he
didn't often make furniture, and I never saw him use one in the house.
Still I think that he liked it much the way you like your tape measure!

My Dad had one too, and I have it in my shed. I almost never use it
though, but they have some usefulness I guess. I think they are accurate
enough for most wood work.
--
Jack