Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT Who makes the best woodworker's tape measure?

On Tue, 21 May 2019 08:34:43 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 5/21/2019 8:03 AM, Jack wrote:
On 5/21/2019 2:22 AM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:

Yes, that's what I do. I'm gunna try the dial calipers next time
though.* Been watching a lot of machinist videos on YouTube:-).

Try Hobby-Machinist.com
I've been thinking about whether I might be able to make some plane
parts. I don't own a lathe or a mill though, so far. But I am keeping my
eyes open for a "deal" while I learn.

That's a web page.* I like watching videos on Youtube on my big screen
TV's (Comcast here has a built in YouTube app) I about completely
stopped watching anything on regular TV, and 99% of what I watch is on
Youtube.* I like ABOM79 and David Richards Old Steam Powered Machine
Shop, but watch and subscribe to a few others machinist shows as well.

I put a couple of miles on the tread mill almost every day, You Tube on
a 32" TV "right in front" of the tread mill gets me through the drudgery.

+1
I walk 8-1/2 miles on the treadmill every day (2-1/2hrs). It wouldn't
be possible without Netflix and Prime.

Everything I'm interested in can be found on youtube, and about NOTHING
I'm interested in can be found on regular TV. Even if regular tv has
something, say woodworking, it sucks, and sucks big time.* Thinking of
Lamo Scott Phillips show American Woodshop, the Woodsmith shop and so
on. Lots of bad woodworking stuff on youtube too, but lots of good stuff
as well.

While piling on, Scott Phillips is probably the worst. This guy built,
on TV, what promised to be a great shop, several years ago. It was
immediately a pig sty.

Then there was the Johnson guy that had some kind of a, I cut wood show,
that was determined to convince every one that a Sliding Miter saw was
actually a RAS. Idiot!

I do not mind Woodsmith except that it is tooooooooooooo
freakingggggggggggg slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

And now there is a girl that has a Mansion Restoration Show. Jeez,
where do I start.
Her dad is on the show and makes unnecessary commentary.
She wants to sound like an expert in her field but sadly is just one of
those "dreamer designers".
Several clips show her doing what a remodeled does, work with their hands.

She paints large flat panels,against the grain with a small paint brush.
She removes wall fixtures set screws with a screwdriver made for
tightening screws in a pair of glasses frames.
She uses her Sliding miter saw like A RAS. She might be related to the
Johnson guy mentioned above.
She pulls the blade through the cut instead of pushing it.

Oh! I'll will never forget Brad Staggs Master Workshop! Or what ever
he called his show.
This idiot dedicated a portion of his show to showing how to properly
use a dodo blade on a TS.
Imagine the look on his face while cutting a dado with out removing the
blade guard. He had that look of, hummmmm why is the board not passing
past the blades??? IDIOT!

And they put this stuff on TV!

David Marks was pretty good, and naturally it is gone today.

I guess there is a reason I don't watch Youtube.