Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Who makes the best woodworker's tape measure?

On 5/20/2019 10:59 AM, Leon wrote:
On 5/19/2019 2:32 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

lywood exactly what it is sold as. It can vary by a 16th or 32nd.

Or somewhere in between. For that I find a micrometer is more
efficacious than a tape measure. But if the fit really matters trial
cuts and adjustment are time consuming but the "right" way to do it.

Sneaking up on the fit is a band aid fix for improper measuring up to
that point. I certainly sneak up on fit in many cases but it is usually
when considering inconsistent thicknesses on sheet goods used in
multiple layers.

I always do a test fit when cutting dado's in anything. I have tapes
with 1/32" measures, digital calibers with 1/128th measurements, and
dial indicator with 1000's of an inch. I just do the trial and error,
which generally works the first time with my dado set. Next time though
I think I'll try the digital calipers, that should work quite well, but
still will do the old test cut.
--
Jack