Posted to rec.woodworking

Default At the BORG - What Would You Do?

I bought a couple sheets of plywood and a nice new 10" saw blade at the
BORG, and maybe another $5 item. When the clerk scanned the cart, I guess
she only scanned the plywood, even though the other stuff was in plain view.

I didn't pay attention until I was pushing the cart out the door, and
glanced at my receipt.

Would you have gone back and informed them of the mistake?

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Perry Aynum wrote:
she only scanned the plywood, even though the other stuff was in plain view.

Would you have gone back and informed them of the mistake?

You even have to ask?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Perry Aynum" wrote in message
I bought a couple sheets of plywood and a nice new 10" saw blade at the
BORG, and maybe another $5 item. When the clerk scanned the cart, I guess
she only scanned the plywood, even though the other stuff was in plain
view.

I didn't pay attention until I was pushing the cart out the door, and
glanced at my receipt.

Would you have gone back and informed them of the mistake?

Did your parents leave this part out when they were teaching you how to be a
good person?

I was at Woodcraft several weeks ago and bought a load of pen kits. The
bill came out less than I expected so I went back in and confronted the
salesman that checked my purchase. I pulled him over to the side where no
one would hear the conversation and pointed out that he had under charged
me. He examined the receipt and looked at the pieces that I brought back in
and agreed that he missed charging me for those items. He then thanked be
for being honest and proceeded to only charge me for 2 of the 3 items
missed, purposely this time. To this day I get a little better handling
than normal when I go into the store.

In this day and age where so many have lost their way you see a lot less of
the courtesy of treating others like you would like to be treated.

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Feb 26, 3:18 pm, "Perry Aynum" wrote:
I bought a couple sheets of plywood and a nice new 10" saw blade at the
BORG, and maybe another $5 item. When the clerk scanned the cart, I guess
she only scanned the plywood, even though the other stuff was in plain view.

I didn't pay attention until I was pushing the cart out the door, and
glanced at my receipt.

Would you have gone back and informed them of the mistake?

A person shouldn't need a cop to tell them what would be the right
thing to do. Yes, I would have gone back in. Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

I am poor enough as it is. I don't need the bad karma. I feel like
it's not my stuff because it isn't. I am proud to turn my hard labor
into things I can own even if I can't get all the things I really
want.

That being said, it is also nice to be careful not to get someone in
trouble for an honest mistake if you do correct them.

However, I won't put up with stupidity very well. I was helping my
sister buy a laser printer way back when they were really something
special. It was supposed to be maybe $1,000. It wouldn't scan and the
clerk tried 3 times to enter the sku number by hand to no avail. Her
supervisor came over to see what was the hold up being very rude to
the poor gal. The sup enters a number and it comes up as the same
brand but it is like a toner cartridge or something for about $50 and
starts to walk away. We called her back and pointed out the error, she
was insistent it was correct and straight out asked us if we wanted to
pay the $50 for the item or not. We did. Then as we are exiting the
store we figure the gig is up, the big security guard stops us, looks
at the recipet and the item, marks it with his pen and says "have a
good day". Sheesh.

I never felt good about it and honestly that printer started breaking
down soon after and we didn't have a reciept to use for return or
anything. Karma?

On Feb 26, 2:18*pm, "Perry Aynum" wrote:
I bought a couple sheets of plywood and a nice new 10" saw blade at the
BORG, and maybe another $5 item. *When the clerk scanned the cart, I guess
she only scanned the plywood, even though the other stuff was in plain view.

I didn't pay attention until I was pushing the cart out the door, and
glanced at my receipt.

Would you have gone back and informed them of the mistake?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 26, 6:56*pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
[...]

In a similar vein, I was on my way back from Rochester NY to Toronto,
when just outside of Rochester I saw a burger joint and I decided I'd
best feed myself before the 5 hour drive home. Little did I know that
I was far enough away from the border that the girl at the counter
gave me a look when I presented her with a 20-dollar Canadian bill.
She hollered for the manager, who was a whole lot friendlier that the
girl who, by now, was rocking on her heels, hand on her hip, chewing
gum and radiating bad attitude.
The manager told her the exchange was 35% and walked away. The girl
stood there confused and annoyed and when I tried to do the exchange
for her, she rejected my help with a snap of her gum and a loud sigh.
She got a piece of paper and a calculator and decided that I was
'really' giving her $ 27.00. I tried to protest that the exchange went
the other way, but she would have none of it... just more attitude.
Finally I gave up. So.. She gave me 27 dollars, deducted the 3.50 ±
for the food and paid me $ 23.50 in US cash change.
I let it go. Didn't even feel bad. I was happy with the knowledge that
I really tried hard to help her.
Sooo, for 20 Canadian, I got 30 Canadian equiv. AND a free burger. Now
THAT is change I can believe in..WEG

Posted to rec.woodworking

Is there NO dollar value, no need of cash, great enough to adequately settle
your disquiet? I know my wife's threshold is less than $250; I have an ill
gotten set of teak lounges out back to prove it. Myself, I must still be
working off transgressions committed in my youth. I haven't been confronted
with the question on values of more than trifling insignificance. I think
somewhere between $10 million and $10, plus or minus an Asshole Tax where
appropriate, lies a value that without question I would chuck my misgivings
and run with the booty. Surely, I can't be alone here.

=========================

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Perry Aynum wrote:

Would you have gone back and informed them of the mistake?

I've done exactly that although the situation hasn't come up at Hell Depot.
I don't know, when I think of the indifference and incompetence their staff
typically display and how I've left their store grinding my teeth on more
than one occasion, I guess I'd have to think it over. I'd probably go back.
But I'd be remembering the time I was kept waiting in the checkout line
while the inept clerk kept paging the garden center trying to get a stock
number on the sled of paving blocks I'd loaded myself (she being unable to
find such an exotic item in the computer). Finally some twerp strolled over
from the service desk and said to the clerk, "Why do you keep paging the
garden center, you know they never answer," and walked away. Hmmmm, I'm
back to having to think it over.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Yep,
Did that at REI recently - took 3 shirts to the checkout, didn't notice
until I got home that they'd charged me for only 2. Went back with the
shirts and the receipt a couple of days later - the shirts were now on sale,
ended up paying about $2 for the third shirt.
Kerry

Posted to rec.woodworking

Perry Aynum wrote:
I bought a couple sheets of plywood and a nice new 10" saw blade at the
BORG, and maybe another $5 item. When the clerk scanned the cart, I guess
she only scanned the plywood, even though the other stuff was in plain view.

I didn't pay attention until I was pushing the cart out the door, and
glanced at my receipt.

Would you have gone back and informed them of the mistake?

Have done - and even made trips back to stores when I didn't catch a
discrepancy until days later (my ex absolutely despised my doing that,
which may speak volumes...)

I still argue with other small business owners when I feel like a price
is /too/ low, because I really want 'em to still be there to do business
with the next time. (This also allows me to ask for, and frequently get,
a better deal when I think their asking price is too high.)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 17:18:38 -0500, "Perry Aynum"
wrote:

I bought a couple sheets of plywood and a nice new 10" saw blade at the
BORG, and maybe another $5 item. When the clerk scanned the cart, I guess
she only scanned the plywood, even though the other stuff was in plain view.

I didn't pay attention until I was pushing the cart out the door, and
glanced at my receipt.

Would you have gone back and informed them of the mistake?

Some great answers here. I have to also point out some conspicuous (to
me, anyway) non-answerers, which may lead me to a wrong conclusion,
but I don't think so.

Anyway, my immediate first answer is yes, of course, and I have a long
history of doing that very thing. My wife was pleasantly surprised to
learn that about me, as she, a strong Catholic, had some reservations
about her choice of a mate who was decidedly agnostic (and who has
since given up even that dodge).

Someone mentioned what amounts to a sliding scale, and I'll confess to
an occasional conscience of convenience, where it would cost me more
in gas to go back and make it right, for example. And, I confess to
having invoked the "Asshole Rule" once or twice (have to be careful
with that one as it cuts both ways...). Of course, as discussed, if
they absolutely INSIST they're smarter than me, for once I will quit
arguing and take their offer.

But by and large, especially if I'm still on the premises, I go back.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Perry Aynum wrote:
I bought a couple sheets of plywood and a nice new 10" saw blade at the
BORG, and maybe another $5 item. When the clerk scanned the cart, I guess
she only scanned the plywood, even though the other stuff was in plain view.

I didn't pay attention until I was pushing the cart out the door, and
glanced at my receipt.

Would you have gone back and informed them of the mistake?

Absolutely, but it rarely happens to me because I'm usually watching the
checkout process like a hawk to make sure they don't miss anything, and
more importantly to make sure something doesn't ring up incorrectly
(either too high or too low). Better to catch it when it happens than
to have to make a trip back in.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
Perry Aynum wrote:
I bought a couple sheets of plywood and a nice new 10" saw blade at
the BORG, and maybe another $5 item. When the clerk scanned the cart,
I guess she only scanned the plywood, even though the other stuff was
in plain view.

I didn't pay attention until I was pushing the cart out the door, and
glanced at my receipt.

Would you have gone back and informed them of the mistake?

Have done - and even made trips back to stores when I didn't catch a
discrepancy until days later (my ex absolutely despised my doing that,
which may speak volumes...)

I still argue with other small business owners when I feel like a price
is /too/ low, because I really want 'em to still be there to do business
with the next time. (This also allows me to ask for, and frequently get,
a better deal when I think their asking price is too high.)

A number of years ago I bought some metal shelving brackets for
something like $3.00 or so each. I decided that I didn't need brackets
as long as I had bought so I took them back to exchange for shorter
ones. I didn't have the original receipt so they offered me the best
price they had in the computer going back 6 months or so. They offered
$1.50 each. The manager told me to take it or leave it, he really didn't
have to refund me anything. No customer care there. It was 6 months
before I went back BIG M.
I did my shopping at Big Blue and Big Orange. Spent quite a lot. I only
shopped BIG M for certain boards I could not get elsewhere. Then I
discovered BIG Wood... I hate that store....HI HI...

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 23:56:09 +0000, SonomaProducts.com wrote
(in article
):

[...]

Yes, but not in the way you're reading it.

The printer _was_ a lemon, independently of the personalities involved in
your purchase and the price you paid for it. There's no cause and effect
relationship here

If you'd paid full price for it, it would _still_ have broken down but you'd
then have the hassle of trying to sort out a replacement/refund from a store
supervised by pedantic stupids and you'd probably have been without a printer
for two years while it was being sorted out and while you were writing
frustrated letters every few days and while you were a thousand bucks down
for the duration.

You did all you reasonably could to do right by everyone and you avoided the
worst-case scenario while learning something valuable about the store and the
printer brand.. Don't beat yourself up because you didn't suffer enough.
Guilt is never a virtue.

I think the universe unfolded as it should

(Hey - celebrate!!)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

wrote:

[...]

Do unto others as you would.......etc.
What goes around comes around.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

Kerry Montgomery wrote:
[...]

No. The bad karma's on the manager--he screwed up and then got snarky with
you about it.

On Feb 26, 2:18 pm, "Perry Aynum" wrote:
I bought a couple sheets of plywood and a nice new 10" saw blade at
the BORG, and maybe another $5 item. When the clerk scanned the
cart, I guess she only scanned the plywood, even though the other
stuff was in plain view.

I didn't pay attention until I was pushing the cart out the door, and
glanced at my receipt.

Would you have gone back and informed them of the mistake?

Yep,
Did that at REI recently - took 3 shirts to the checkout, didn't
notice until I got home that they'd charged me for only 2. Went back
with the shirts and the receipt a couple of days later - the shirts
were now on sale, ended up paying about $2 for the third shirt.
Kerry

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default At the BORG - What Would You Do? Perry

Didn't the alarm at the exit go off cause the items weren't scanned,or
did you just steal those items? YOUR GOING TO HELL for stealing....
Judge Jerry

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

[...]

They walk among us!

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Perry Aynum" wrote in
:

I bought a couple sheets of plywood and a nice new 10" saw blade at
the BORG, and maybe another $5 item. When the clerk scanned the cart,
I guess she only scanned the plywood, even though the other stuff was
in plain view.

I didn't pay attention until I was pushing the cart out the door, and
glanced at my receipt.

Would you have gone back and informed them of the mistake?

If you're wondering what to do, trade roles. If the store charged you
twice for the other stuff, would you pay the extra without complaint,
even if you didn't notice until you got out the door?

Or... if you're selling something and you don't notice the items they
have, would you want them to come back and correct the mistake?

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Do unto others as you would.......etc.
What goes around comes around.

Max

The older I get, the more I believe this

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm a weekend warrior, so when it comes to rec.woodworking, I'm just a
lurker. I can't add much to woodworking... unless you need more
sawdust.
But I've learned a lot from you folks - Thanks

Ahh your dilemna sounds all too familiar...
Years ago, I'd have high-tailed back to the store, to be honest and
pay the correct amount.

A few years ago I was given too much change at a burger place. The
gal refused to listen "Sir I know how to count".
I told her "Yes, but I gave you a ten dollar bill, you gave me change
for a 20". She started with the bad attitude routine.
I noticed she kept looking over her shoulder. I tried again, her
reply was "Look, you trying to get me fired? I have other customers
waiting behind you OK"? She was more worried about looking bad, then
her till being off, I dropped it.

At the local borg a few years ago, I had special ordered new
construction windows for my house, I was remodeling. When they came
in, one had damage on the integral "moulding". I knew I could "fix"
the damage, I'd waited long enough for them to come in and I wanted to
get the window installed, cold weather was getting close.
I suggested to the manager "Give me 25% off, I'll sign a waiver on the
damage and we'll be done".
I have no idea why, but that seemed to be a real hurdle for them.
They wanted to negotiate the percentage off. I just bought $2,500
worth of windows, damn-it, $100.00 didn't seem worth the effort. I
settled for $85 just to get the heck out of there.
I hadn't been back there since.

Last week I needed to get replacement extension springs for a garage
door repair job I was in the middle of. The borg I normally go to was
out of stock, so I had to try the other one. I swore I'd never do
business with them again, but they had them, I was stuck. I went
through the check-out, paid with my credit card and went on my way.
Admittedly, I didnt even pay attention to the "cost". When I got home
and filed the receipt, I noticed they charged me for one spring, not
both... I got my $15 plus a couple extra back (interest). I don't
feel bad, even if I should.

Be Safe

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jerry - OHIO wrote:
Didn't the alarm at the exit go off cause the items weren't scanned,or
did you just steal those items? YOUR GOING TO HELL for stealing....
Judge Jerry

I always lift my bag above my head as I pass through the detectors... not
that anyone has ever shown any interest in my antics.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 06:25:12 -0600, HeyBub cast forth these pearls of
wisdom...:

Jerry - OHIO wrote:
Didn't the alarm at the exit go off cause the items weren't scanned,or
did you just steal those items? YOUR GOING TO HELL for stealing....
Judge Jerry

I always lift my bag above my head as I pass through the detectors... not
that anyone has ever shown any interest in my antics.

Seems like an odd behavior.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

"Robatoy" wrote in message

[...]

You can only lead a horse to water.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Or... if you're selling something and you don't notice the items they
have, would you want them to come back and correct the mistake?

Puckdropper
--

This brings up some interesting situtions. I try to check totals at the
register but don't always do so and find mistakes at a later time. When I

Posted to rec.woodworking

"sweet sawdust" wrote in message
news

Or... if you're selling something and you don't notice the items they
have, would you want them to come back and correct the mistake?

Puckdropper
--

This brings up some interesting situtions. I try to check totals at the
register but don't always do so and find mistakes at a later time. When I
at the register at the time of purchase it was to late to do anything
about it. Since the majority of these problems are in my favor not the
stores I have always found it an odd policy. I find most of the cashiers
who follow this policy are young highschool aged types and don't seem
interested in my business anyway. I have never had a problem at a store
that deals with the building trades correcting a problem even after a few
days delay no matter whose favor it is in. Chain resturants seem to have
the biggest problem with correcting this type of problem in my area.

Although maybe not the proper answer I could see why someone may say screw
'em and keep the stuff.

Last fall on a Saturday night at about 7PM I went to the BORG to purchase a
PC compressor nail gun package. I go through self check out because they
have one cashier working and the line is about 15 people long. As I am
doing my transaction my daughters are in the beginning of a fight over
whatever electronic game they had with them that day. I swipe my credit
card and hit a bunch of ok's and sign the pad. As I am waiting for the slip
the battle of daughters begins to erupt to I say to myself I signed the
screen it must have gone through I will not worry about the slip I have my
card statement if something goes wrong.

A few days later I am doing my PC banking stuff and the charge is not there.
I begin to wonder did I get a free $300 set. I think about it for more time
than a person raised by church going parents should and I went back to the
store. I ask for the manager and I tell him the story. He checks the
system and says the transaction messed up and it didn't go through. He then
proceeds to get a cashier to run the transaction and walks away. No "thank
you for being honest", "how about a free orange apron", etc. He just walked
away.

I sign the slip and I say to myself "the next time I buy a nail gun
compressor setup and the transaction messes up I will donate the 300 bucks
to charity before I come back here." BTW the guys picture is no longer in
the person in charge spot on the wall of the that BORG.

Larry C

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes, I go back.
The problem is that you are NOT going back to help the clerk at the
checkout, because they simply feel that they have been "caught" doing
something wrong. And, if you go back later, and "rat on them" at the
customer service booth, somebody is probably going to get a "talking to"
about the situation.
You have to go back simply because the extra money doesn't belong to you.
Don't do it expecting "thanks", It's just so you sleep better.

Pete Stanaitis
--------------------------

Perry Aynum wrote:

I bought a couple sheets of plywood and a nice new 10" saw blade at the
BORG, and maybe another $5 item. When the clerk scanned the cart, I guess
she only scanned the plywood, even though the other stuff was in plain view.

I didn't pay attention until I was pushing the cart out the door, and
glanced at my receipt.

Would you have gone back and informed them of the mistake?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"spaco" wrote in message
.. .
Yes, I go back.
The problem is that you are NOT going back to help the clerk at the
checkout, because they simply feel that they have been "caught" doing
something wrong. And, if you go back later, and "rat on them" at the
customer service booth, somebody is probably going to get a "talking to"
about the situation.
You have to go back simply because the extra money doesn't belong to you.
Don't do it expecting "thanks", It's just so you sleep better.

Pete Stanaitis
--------------------------

I never go back to get someone in trouble or get a thank you. I go back
because I have something that isn't mine until I have paid for it.

Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry C wrote:

I ask for the manager and I tell him the
story. He checks the system and says the transaction messed up and it
didn't go through. He then proceeds to get a cashier to run the
transaction and walks away. No "thank you for being honest", "how about
a free orange apron", etc. He just walked away.

I sign the slip and I say to myself "the next time I buy a nail gun
compressor setup and the transaction messes up I will donate the 300
bucks to charity before I come back here." BTW the guys picture is no
longer in the person in charge spot on the wall of the that BORG.

Larry C

Please don't take this as a insult to you, Larry. It's more a
commentary on the direction our society in general seems to be heading.

This is a symptom of a growing problem that seems to get worse with
every generation. Most guys in here seem to be the 40 and over crowd.
The latter half of the generation X seems to be the last generation that
doesn't feel slighted if we're not praised for simply doing the right
thing.

Anyone younger was brought up having their egos coddled like a bottle of
nitroglycerin. No one could be told they were "wrong." Everyone got a
trophy just for participating. Now adults in the workplace, they have
to be praised and rewarded just for showing up to work. An average job
is now considered excellent. The internal satisfaction of finishing an
assignment isn't enough to satisfied the ego of one who's self-esteem is
a house of straw, built by years of superficial, unearned praise. They
must now receive awards for simply finishing an assignment, regardless
of the quality of work. The bare minimum is seen as the goal, instead
of the starting point.

So now, we feel insulted if no one makes a big deal out of the fact that
we were simply honest. What used to be the baseline from which we'd
assess one another's character, has now become something we expect to be
exalted as extraordinary.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Ed Edelenbos" wrote:
I never go back to get someone in trouble or get a thank you. I go back
because I have something that isn't mine until I have paid for it.

And that, my friends, is the essence of the matter in two simple sentences.

Well said, Ed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Larry C wrote:

[...]

You have the generational thing wrong with me, I am 45. I totally agree
with you about people can't handle being told they are wrong. I deal with
it in my professional life all the time.

I didn't go back with the idea that I would get something in return. I went
back because it was the right thing to do. It was just a little
disheartening that the manager didn't even acknowledge the fact that I did
come back. My comment was more of a point how someone could become fed up
or jaded, not that I was hoping for something in return for doing something
honest and correct.

Larry C

Posted to rec.woodworking

Perry Aynum wrote:
I bought a couple sheets of plywood and a nice new 10" saw blade at the
BORG, and maybe another $5 item. When the clerk scanned the cart, I guess
she only scanned the plywood, even though the other stuff was in plain view.

I didn't pay attention until I was pushing the cart out the door, and
glanced at my receipt.

Would you have gone back and informed them of the mistake?

Well, that's the problem with Wall Street now, isn't it? "Gee, they
gave me some bailout money, but they didn't tell me I HAD to spend it on
fixing the company. I think I'll give myself a little bonus, and buy a
couple of my competitors while I'm at it!"
Posted to rec.woodworking
CC CC is offline

"Larry C" wrote in message

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Larry C wrote:

[...]

The older generation and the one that I brought up was taught to say
please and thank you
along with being expected to do the right thing. That manager should
have had the common
decency to have said thank you, You don't necessarily expect some
sort of reward for doing
what is right, but you do expect someone to acknowledge that you did,
I was also taught to say yes sir or ma'am and that is how I taught
mine.
I feel some things are the right thing to do, Now days, seems people
have forgotten what
to teach their kids
CC

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote

[...]

Very well said ... and from a drummer at that!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-02-26 17:18:38 -0500, "Perry Aynum" said:

I bought a couple sheets of plywood and a nice new 10" saw blade at the
BORG, and maybe another $5 item. When the clerk scanned the cart, I guess
she only scanned the plywood, even though the other stuff was in plain view.

I didn't pay attention until I was pushing the cart out the door, and
glanced at my receipt.

Would you have gone back and informed them of the mistake?

It's technically theft if you don't

MJ

The Borg part..... ? BDBConstruction Woodworking 60 March 24th 08 12:57 AM
The Borg vs Lowes Drb Woodworking 10 August 8th 06 03:23 AM
Borg? wch Woodworking 24 February 26th 05 11:35 PM
BORG? Maskman Woodworking 9 September 15th 03 10:20 PM
Why I hate the Borg Phil Crow Woodworking 39 July 30th 03 05:34 PM