Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default At the BORG - What Would You Do?

"-MIKE-" wrote

It's more a commentary on the direction our society in general seems to be
heading.

This is a symptom of a growing problem that seems to get worse with every
generation. Most guys in here seem to be the 40 and over crowd. The
latter half of the generation X seems to be the last generation that
doesn't feel slighted if we're not praised for simply doing the right
thing.

Anyone younger was brought up having their egos coddled like a bottle of
nitroglycerin. No one could be told they were "wrong." Everyone got a
trophy just for participating. Now adults in the workplace, they have to
be praised and rewarded just for showing up to work. An average job is
now considered excellent. The internal satisfaction of finishing an
assignment isn't enough to satisfied the ego of one who's self-esteem is a
house of straw, built by years of superficial, unearned praise. They must
now receive awards for simply finishing an assignment, regardless of the
quality of work. The bare minimum is seen as the goal, instead of the
starting point.

So now, we feel insulted if no one makes a big deal out of the fact that
we were simply honest. What used to be the baseline from which we'd
assess one another's character, has now become something we expect to be
exalted as extraordinary.

Very well said ... and from a drummer at that!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08