Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry C Larry C is offline

Default At the BORG - What Would You Do?

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Larry C wrote:

I ask for the manager and I tell him the story. He checks the system and
says the transaction messed up and it didn't go through. He then
proceeds to get a cashier to run the transaction and walks away. No
"thank you for being honest", "how about a free orange apron", etc. He
just walked away.

I sign the slip and I say to myself "the next time I buy a nail gun
compressor setup and the transaction messes up I will donate the 300
bucks to charity before I come back here." BTW the guys picture is no
longer in the person in charge spot on the wall of the that BORG.

Larry C

Please don't take this as a insult to you, Larry. It's more a commentary
on the direction our society in general seems to be heading.

This is a symptom of a growing problem that seems to get worse with every
generation. Most guys in here seem to be the 40 and over crowd. The
latter half of the generation X seems to be the last generation that
doesn't feel slighted if we're not praised for simply doing the right
thing.

Anyone younger was brought up having their egos coddled like a bottle of
nitroglycerin. No one could be told they were "wrong." Everyone got a
trophy just for participating. Now adults in the workplace, they have to
be praised and rewarded just for showing up to work. An average job is
now considered excellent. The internal satisfaction of finishing an
assignment isn't enough to satisfied the ego of one who's self-esteem is a
house of straw, built by years of superficial, unearned praise. They must
now receive awards for simply finishing an assignment, regardless of the
quality of work. The bare minimum is seen as the goal, instead of the
starting point.

So now, we feel insulted if no one makes a big deal out of the fact that
we were simply honest. What used to be the baseline from which we'd
assess one another's character, has now become something we expect to be
exalted as extraordinary.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

You have the generational thing wrong with me, I am 45. I totally agree
with you about people can't handle being told they are wrong. I deal with
it in my professional life all the time.

I didn't go back with the idea that I would get something in return. I went
back because it was the right thing to do. It was just a little
disheartening that the manager didn't even acknowledge the fact that I did
come back. My comment was more of a point how someone could become fed up
or jaded, not that I was hoping for something in return for doing something
honest and correct.

Larry C