Posted to rec.woodworking
Drb Drb is offline

Default The Borg vs Lowes

Yippee!!! Good old Canada finally gets a Lowes in GTA, anyone know where?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Drb" wrote in message
Yippee!!! Good old Canada finally gets a Lowes in GTA, anyone know where?

Borg VS. Lowe's? Lowe's is a Borg.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Modat22" wrote in message
On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 18:39:53 GMT, "Leon"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...lect/lowes.jpg

Sorry I had to add my 2 cents.

LOL... It is all dependent on where you live I guess. Lowe's has been in
the Houston are for some time now and they make Home Depot look like a Flea
Market by comparison.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 18:39:53 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Drb" wrote in message
.. .
Yippee!!! Good old Canada finally gets a Lowes in GTA, anyone know where?

Borg VS. Lowe's? Lowe's is a Borg.

Big Orange Retail Giant

Posted to rec.woodworking

Best thing that can happen is when they're about a block apart. Believe me,
the pricing's better than out somewhere's all by themselves!

TomNie

"Drb" wrote in message
Yippee!!! Good old Canada finally gets a Lowes in GTA, anyone know where?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 18:39:53 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Drb" wrote in message
. ..
Yippee!!! Good old Canada finally gets a Lowes in GTA, anyone know
where?

Borg VS. Lowe's? Lowe's is a Borg.

Big Orange Retail Giant

Not quite, although some know it by your association of those words to the
color of HD.
In the Tech Encyclopedia, Borg refers the Cyborgs on Star Trek and the
comparison of a company that dominates in its field. Not necessarily
restricted to Home Improvement stores.

Borg
A type of cyborg in Star Trek that devours everything in its path. Companies
that dominate their field are called Borgs, and Borging is the verb. See
cyborg.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Drb" wrote in message
Yippee!!! Good old Canada finally gets a Lowes in GTA, anyone know
where?

Oddly I have a mix of 5 Home Depots and Lowe's within 7 miles of me and in
the middle of it all a Family hardware store that is constantly growing and
beats all the Borges pricing on same products. This is in SW Houston.

Near Brenham TX, about 70 miles NW of Houston, the Borgs are more expensive
than the mom and pop hardware stores and lumber yards.

You pay for convenience, sorta. If you buy at a Borg, you can probably pay
less elsewhere for the same identical item.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

"Drb" wrote in message
Yippee!!! Good old Canada finally gets a Lowes in GTA, anyone know
where?

Borg VS. Lowe's? Lowe's is a Borg.

Well, technically Lowes is a BBRG.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

"Drb" wrote in message
Yippee!!! Good old Canada finally gets a Lowes in GTA, anyone know
where?

Borg VS. Lowe's? Lowe's is a Borg.

Well, technically Lowes is a BBRG.

Uh Huh... BTY I ordered and should receive my MultiMaster tomorrow. Thanks
again for the information you gave me concerning the blade life. I ended up
getting the XL on sale.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In my neck of the woods they are next door to each other,
share the same (overall) parking area. HD was there first.

Interesting experiences/observations: It seems like what one
has (in some cases) the other has a minimal/nonexistent
stock, or flat don't carry it. Several times I have been
forced to go to both just to get all the stuff to complete a
job, neither had a complete stock of all things on my list.
At first I thought it was just a fluke, but since it seems
like it is a 50-50 chance I will need to make two stops to
finish a job.

They both seem to make "mistakes" mixing paint at about the
same rate, however, so I will usually check both anyway,
hoping to get a deal on a 5 gallon pail of paint that is a
close match to one of the colors used on my house. I keep a
baggie in my truck with paint peels off the cans used for
the largest areas to maintain. One or two lucky finds a
year help "ease the pain" of knowing I sometimes HAVE TO go
both places to get materials I need. Ha! regards. Joe.

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 17:24:47 -0400, "Tom Nie"
wrote:

Best thing that can happen is when they're about a block apart. Believe me,
the pricing's better than out somewhere's all by themselves!

TomNie

"Drb" wrote in message
.. .
Yippee!!! Good old Canada finally gets a Lowes in GTA, anyone know where?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 22:24:43 GMT, "Leon" wrote:

Oddly I have a mix of 5 Home Depots and Lowe's within 7 miles of me and in
the middle of it all a Family hardware store that is constantly growing and
beats all the Borges pricing on same products. This is in SW Houston.

Leon, what's the name/location of this hardware store? Sounds like it could possibly be close
enough to be worth a side trip on my way home from work (Hwy6 & Westheimer area).

Thanks,
Roy