Phil Crow

Default Why I hate the Borg

I just read a post that got my blood pressure up regarding customer
service. I have a similar tale:

Last Saturday, I set out to cap my workbench as well as make a saw
guide, as I do not own a table saw. I also had to pick up a few odds
and ends (tube of adhesive, 1# of roofing nails, etc), so I decided to
go to the Borg because I knew exactly where those things were; I
figured, "What the hell...I'll pick up a sheet of 3/4 MDF while I'm
out." Yeah.

After wandering about the lumber section and not finding any MDF, I
asked the young child at the, uh, oh yeah! The Project Desk for a
sheet of 3/4 MDF. He told me that it was kept outside in the lumber
yard and I could pay for it, then drive around the back and pick it
up. Okay, no problem. By the way, how much is it? Eleven dollars a
sheet. Super.

I get to the front with my tube of Liquid Nails and my roofing nails
and tell the middle-aged housewife working the register that I need a
sheet of 3/4 MDF. "What's MDF?" So it begins.

After spending 10 minutes explaining to her (and the other lobotomites
in line) what MDF was, she pored over her cost code sheet and said she
needed to call someone. She did, and was given some explaination or
other and said to me, "All it is is particle board."

"Well, ma'am, it's not exactly particle board. You see, the wood
fiber--"

(Getting Snippy)"It's listed as particle board on my sheet here, and
all you have to do next time is ask for particle board."

Fine. So I pay the eleven dollars for the sheet of
listed-as-particle-board and drive my p/u around the back of the
store, where I have the exact same conversation with the lumber yard
guy. Finally, he tells me to pull around to door number 3 and they'll
load my materiel.

Guess what the loading hand tries to load into my pickup?

I spent another half hour trying to get my eleven dollars back. By
this time, I was seething. I was able to hold it together long enough
not to choke the manager of the store and got out of there.

So, anyone know of a source of 3/4" MDF in the Sandusky, Ohio area?

-Phil Crow

PM6564

"Phil Crow" wrote in message
m...
I just read a post that got my blood pressure up regarding customer
service. I have a similar tale:

snip

So, anyone know of a source of 3/4" MDF in the Sandusky, Ohio area?

When I'm in Sandusky, I always get mine at Home Depot.
Just ask for particle board - they'll know what you want.

Chris

"George" wrote in message ...
Yup. Menards folks were perplexed between "chipboard" and "particleboard"
one day, so rather than aspenite, I went out and copied the SKU of the stuff
I wanted.

BTW, try MDO and see how that confuses 'em.

OR...

Ask for "Baltic Birch Plywood." It is a reflex that can't be stopped.
They will drop the first word and repeat the rest... "Birch Plywood?
Yeah we have that?
Telling them that BBP comes in 5x5 sheets will not help either. The
response will be that theirs comes 4x8 but they can cut it for you.

There are just some things that you shouldn't go to the Borg for.
Learn them. Remember them. Then you will not be
disappointed/frustrated.

-Chris
BigJoe

Have you tried 84 Lumber on Milan Rd?

--
Be sure to check out Joe's and Betty's webpages...
http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/kb8qlrjoe/index.html
"Phil Crow" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Frank Ketchum

"Phil Crow" wrote in message
m...

After spending 10 minutes explaining to her (and the other lobotomites
in line) what MDF was, she pored over her cost code sheet and said she
needed to call someone.

So, you are suprised that a 19 year old female is not an expert at
construction materials? Did you just land here from a distant planet?

She did, and was given some explaination or
other and said to me, "All it is is particle board."

At this point you should realize that you are not talking about MDF
especially at $11 a sheet. The home depots are not stocked with "experts"
for workers. Take anything they tell you with a grain of salt.

Frank

Scott Cramer

Ask for "Baltic Birch Plywood." It is a reflex that can't be stopped.
They will drop the first word and repeat the rest... "Birch Plywood?
Yeah we have that?
Telling them that BBP comes in 5x5 sheets will not help either. The
response will be that theirs comes 4x8 but they can cut it for you.

The entertainment value of having them try to cut a 4x8 sheet down to 5x5
would be worth the time wasted.

Eric Tonks

Default Not much better at Canadian Borgs

I never buy anything at a lumber yard or home center unless I see and touch
it first to see if it meets my needs and is the proper quality -- then I go
and pay for it and pick it up. Prevents such mixups.

With a yard hand I sorted out 15 suitable 5/4 x 4 wester red cedar deck
boards, then went to the order desk to get the paperwork, took the paperwork
to the cashier to pay for them. The order desk had written the SKU for 3/4 x
6 WR Cedar and the cashier couldn't find the correct SKU for the size I
wanted. It took 3 people and about 10 minutes to locate it in their
computer, then I finally could pay for the size I wanted and went back to
the yard to load up my 15 chosen pieces.

This was at a Canadian BORG called Rona, Home Depot's only competition in
Canada.

"Phil Crow" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Ron Magen

Phil,
THIS should have been the time to either leave or seek out the MANAGER.
'MDF' being 'Medium Density FIBERBOARD' - or basically a 'paper & glue'
product - storing it outside where it is exposed to weather or high moisture
will soon lead to a pile of pulp.

Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop
{who uses a good bit of MDF & 'Whiteboard' for jigs & Templates}

"Phil Crow" wrote in message
m...
SNIP
3/4 MDF. He told me that it was kept outside in the lumber
yard . . .

SNIP

FrozenNorth

Eric Tonks wrote:

I never buy anything at a lumber yard or home center unless I see and touch
it first to see if it meets my needs and is the proper quality -- then I go
and pay for it and pick it up. Prevents such mixups.

With a yard hand I sorted out 15 suitable 5/4 x 4 wester red cedar deck
boards, then went to the order desk to get the paperwork, took the paperwork
to the cashier to pay for them. The order desk had written the SKU for 3/4 x
6 WR Cedar and the cashier couldn't find the correct SKU for the size I
wanted. It took 3 people and about 10 minutes to locate it in their
computer, then I finally could pay for the size I wanted and went back to
the yard to load up my 15 chosen pieces.

This was at a Canadian BORG called Rona, Home Depot's only competition in
Canada.

Had some genious from Rona deliver me two skids of wood, one was
labelled shed, one was labelled floor, guess which order they unloaded
them in. Shed on top of the floor, on building day we had to move all
of the wood off the top skid, move the skid and reload it all, so that I
could start building the floor.
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:22:22 GMT, "PM6564" wrote:

So, anyone know of a source of 3/4" MDF in the Sandusky, Ohio area?

When I'm in Sandusky, I always get mine at Home Depot.
Just ask for particle board - they'll know what you want.

My Borgs carry particle board AND MDF.

Do _you_ know what MDF is? G

Barry

LRod

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:58:13 -0400, FrozenNorth
wrote:

Had some genious from Rona...

It takes special chutzpah to criticize someone's intelligence by
referring to them as a "genious."

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

WCD

B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

My Borgs carry particle board AND MDF.

Do _you_ know what MDF is? G

I've asked for MDO at my local Borg and they don't have it. I've seen
MDF over there, though. The two are easy to confuse, if you don't know
the difference and aren't looking at a piece in front of you.

Charlie Self

Chris Powers writes:

There are just some things that you shouldn't go to the Borg for.
Learn them. Remember them. Then you will not be
disappointed/frustrated.

Yes. And it does help if you remember that the big boxes are not designed for,
or by, woodworkers. Any woodworking items found there are incidental to their
main mission, so it is somewhat silly to criticize them on that basis. Now,
when they screw up on building materials....

Charlie Self

"On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only nation
in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter what it does."
Will Rogers

D K Woods

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:56:38 -0400, WCD wrote:

Scott Cramer wrote:

The entertainment value of having them try to cut a 4x8 sheet down to 5x5
would be worth the time wasted.

I know computer professionals who drop by CompUSA every so often just to
run the employees there through their paces. A similar kind of
entertainment. To me that's a cheap shot, like shooting ducks in a barrel.

;-)

heh...guilty as charged... I do admit to having trailed employees at the
local microcenter just to hear their pitch. good for a laugh.

david
--
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have
of it.
Bob Kuphal

Most Menards carry MDF in 3/4 and 1/2 thickness. Also MDO in the same.

Phil Crow wrote:
[...]

Bob Kuphal -- Wisconsin

Remove NOSPAM to email

FrozenNorth

wrote:

Had some genious from Rona...

It takes special chutzpah to criticize someone's intelligence by
referring to them as a "genious."

Oh lookie, a spelling lame.
Jim Mc Namara

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message:
Oh lookie, a spelling lame.

No no - a spelling lame' - this is French for sumbuddy with a edukashun!
LOL!

Jumz

bay area dave

Default Why I hate the Borg - oh, Phil could you have been a little lessbrainless that day??

You must have stood in the same line when the "lobomites" had their
brains "customized". Otherwise you would have realized that particle
board in the computer is particle board on the shelf and eleven dollars a
sheet is way to cheap to be MDF. I mean, come on Phil, where the heck are
you gonna get 3/4" MDF for $11??? Also, a housewife is not a "housewife"
if she is working... I haven't ever worked retail, but I expect that with
all the help that stores employ, not all those employed by Borgs are gonna
be up to YOUR level of expertise in all things woodworking related. It's
up to YOU to use a little common sense in situations such as you
described.

dave

Phil Crow wrote:

[...]

tnfkajs

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Yes. And it does help if you remember that the big boxes are not designed

for,
or by, woodworkers. Any woodworking items found there are incidental to

their
main mission, so it is somewhat silly to criticize them on that basis.

Now,

Agreed - but they have just enough *stuff* to keep you hopeful. Just enough
Freud Forstners; Bessey's, Bench Dog Blade-Loc, the PC 557 Plate Joiner for
$199.

I - however - have come to grip with the fact that it's something
pathological with me

5 REM
10 Enter BORG ever hopeful.
20 Wander looking for things that they moved the night before
30 Find 2 of the 7 things I need
40 Leave disappointed
50 DELAY 7 Days
60 GOTO 10

Barry Lennox

Scott Cramer wrote:

The entertainment value of having them try to cut a 4x8 sheet down to 5x5
would be worth the time wasted.

I know computer professionals who drop by CompUSA every so often just to
run the employees there through their paces. A similar kind of
entertainment. To me that's a cheap shot, like shooting ducks in a barrel.

Yes, I do that, and I'm not even a puter pro! Depends on my mood, and
spare time, but it can be real fun.

Barry Lennox
Fred McClellan

Scott Cramer wrote:

The entertainment value of having them try to cut a 4x8 sheet down to 5x5
would be worth the time wasted.

I know computer professionals who drop by CompUSA every so often just to
run the employees there through their paces. A similar kind of
entertainment. To me that's a cheap shot, like shooting ducks in a barrel.

;-)

heh...guilty as charged... I do admit to having trailed employees at the
local microcenter just to hear their pitch. good for a laugh.

You gotts to be talkin' about the greasy-haired pimple-face at the
Powers Ferry store, right ?

Whut a maroon !

Cheers,
Fred McClellan
the dash plumber at mindspring dot com

Fred McClellan

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:11:09 -0400, "Eric Tonks"
wrote:

I never buy anything at a lumber yard or home center unless I see and touch
it first to see if it meets my needs and is the proper quality -- then I go
and pay for it and pick it up. Prevents such mixups.

With a yard hand I sorted out 15 suitable 5/4 x 4 wester red cedar deck
boards, then went to the order desk to get the paperwork, took the paperwork
to the cashier to pay for them. The order desk had written the SKU for 3/4 x
6 WR Cedar and the cashier couldn't find the correct SKU for the size I
wanted. It took 3 people and about 10 minutes to locate it in their
computer, then I finally could pay for the size I wanted and went back to
the yard to load up my 15 chosen pieces.

This was at a Canadian BORG called Rona, Home Depot's only competition in
Canada.

Take heart, at least they got it right in the end.

Down heah, the wood you'd picked would have either been back in the
stack or loaded on someone else's truck by the time you went to fetch
it.
Cheers,
Fred McClellan
the dash plumber at mindspring dot com

Mike

leah (Charlie Self) wrote in message ...

Yes. And it does help if you remember that the big boxes are not designed for,
or by, woodworkers.

Ayup. I've had mixed experiences with HD. When I was installing a
landscape irrigation system, I got some really good help/info; and
that was from young guys you'd think wouldn't know anything. When I
was looking for help buying a jigsaw (sabersaw) I asked the older
'expert' guy and he offered nothing I couldn't learn myself by reading
the product boxes.

Then there was the time I needed a simple adapter for the gas line on
a clothes dryer. I looked and looked and couldn't find what I needed.
My wife was with me at the time (mistake) and, getting impatient,
yelled down the aisle for a young employee to come help. I'd seen
that guy but could tell he was useless so I was waiting for the older
employee to return. Sure enough, the young guy literally dragged his
feet as he walked towards us. Seriously, he walked like he was
wearing 50 pound shoes. He looked for a few seconds and concluded, if
you don't see it, we don't have it (which, by pure chance, he was
right about). When the older guy finally returned, I asked him. He
looked at the rack for a few seconds and then walked away. I thought
"great, this guy just abandoned me." A couple minutes later he comes
back with the part I need and hands it to me. I say "doesn't it need
a barcode label?" He says, "oh, we don't sell those but we have a few
laying around. Just put it in your pocket and leave." Now that's
good service.

Cheers,
Mike

Phil Crow

"BigJoe" wrote in message . ..
Have you tried 84 Lumber on Milan Rd?

--
Be sure to check out Joe's and Betty's webpages...
http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/kb8qlrjoe/index.html

Snip
Tried there, didn't have MDF in 3/4". Asked who did, got the reply,
"I don't know any place who stocks 3/4."

So, I went to Carter Lumber in Sheffield/Amhearst area.

-Phil Crow
Tim Douglass

On 25 Jul 2003 20:23:40 -0700, (Mike) wrote:

[...]

My theory is that every Borg has some of those good guys wandering
around. The trick is to identify them and then zero in on them
whenever you need help. Read their name tag. Write their name down if
necessary. Call them by it. Buy them beer. Whatever it takes. The day
will come when that guy will save your bacon because he knows who you
are and is willing to bend a bit to keep you happy.

By the same token, don't short they complete ignoramuses. I've spent a
lot of time explaining stuff to ignorant sales clerks in both the Borg
and at computer retailers. Spreading knowledge is always good. Most of
the older, more knowledgeable, guys started out without knowing
anything -- maybe they didn't start in retail, but no one is born
knowing the fitting you need to make your dryer work. Maybe with some
encouragement and the employee discount some of those pimply-faced
know-nothings will turn into woodworkers and one day come in here and
explain how to apply poly to painted cherry.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Brint Keyes

Fred McClellan wrote

snip

Alas, I need another sheet or two. Got the first one at Atlanta
Hardwoods, but they seem to have disappeared/relocated/gone.

Any decent hard wood suppliers in hotLanta besides the high-priced
spread at Woodcraft ?
Cheers,
Fred McClellan
the dash plumber at mindspring dot com

Fred --

Try http://www.hardwoodweb.com/company/awpc.cfm
LRod

wrote:

Had some genious from Rona...

It takes special chutzpah to criticize someone's intelligence by
referring to them as a "genious."

Oh lookie, a spelling lame.

It might be, except for the fact you were engaging in a "limited
education borg employee" lame.

If one is going to cast aspersions at other people, one should have
one's own ducks properly aligned or else be prepared for the
consequences. You live by the sword, you die by the sword.

Nice weasel attempt.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Silvan

tnfkajs wrote:

I - however - have come to grip with the fact that it's something
pathological with me

5 REM
10 Enter BORG ever hopeful.
20 Wander looking for things that they moved the night before
30 Find 2 of the 7 things I need
40 Leave disappointed
50 DELAY 7 Days
60 GOTO 10

Wow. It took me a long time to figure out WTF you were talking about.
Takes me back to days of yore, man.

Personally, I don't like the Borg much. They have like three things on-hand
that Lowe's doesn't. Otherwise they're Just Like Lowe's, Only Orange, and
Lowe's is both closer and has better looking women working there.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 16826 Approximate word count: 504780

jo4hn

tnfkajs wrote:
[snip]
5 REM
10 Enter BORG ever hopeful.
20 Wander looking for things that they moved the night before
30 Find 2 of the 7 things I need
40 Leave disappointed
50 DELAY 7 Days
60 GOTO 10

GOTO Considered Harmful
Edsgar

DL

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 22:43:27 -0400, Silvan
wrote:

Wow. It took me a long time to figure out WTF you were talking about.
Takes me back to days of yore, man.

Personally, I don't like the Borg much. They have like three things on-hand
that Lowe's doesn't. Otherwise they're Just Like Lowe's, Only Orange, and
Lowe's is both closer and has better looking women working there.

Hey, my neice works at Lowes. You keep away - she is a sweet girl
(albeit quite a cutie).

She says she gets hit on a ton working there.

- -

DL

http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm

Evidently your buddy Cedeño is a *******.

First of all, Cedeño is not my buddy.

"Ahh, job hunt. Had an interview this week and all
I learned is this: Despite its name,
the company "Johnson Controls" does not manufacture condoms."
- Anonymous

Halter Sucks!