Mike

Default Why I hate the Borg

leah (Charlie Self) wrote in message ...

Yes. And it does help if you remember that the big boxes are not designed for,
or by, woodworkers.

Ayup. I've had mixed experiences with HD. When I was installing a
landscape irrigation system, I got some really good help/info; and
that was from young guys you'd think wouldn't know anything. When I
was looking for help buying a jigsaw (sabersaw) I asked the older
'expert' guy and he offered nothing I couldn't learn myself by reading
the product boxes.

Then there was the time I needed a simple adapter for the gas line on
a clothes dryer. I looked and looked and couldn't find what I needed.
My wife was with me at the time (mistake) and, getting impatient,
yelled down the aisle for a young employee to come help. I'd seen
that guy but could tell he was useless so I was waiting for the older
employee to return. Sure enough, the young guy literally dragged his
feet as he walked towards us. Seriously, he walked like he was
wearing 50 pound shoes. He looked for a few seconds and concluded, if
you don't see it, we don't have it (which, by pure chance, he was
right about). When the older guy finally returned, I asked him. He
looked at the rack for a few seconds and then walked away. I thought
"great, this guy just abandoned me." A couple minutes later he comes
back with the part I need and hands it to me. I say "doesn't it need
a barcode label?" He says, "oh, we don't sell those but we have a few
laying around. Just put it in your pocket and leave." Now that's
good service.

Cheers,
Mike